Thread: 2017 GM truck, complete powertrain swap questions

2017 GM truck, complete powertrain swap questions

OK, long story short: I have been asked to take care of any tuning necessary for this swap. He has a 2017 Silverado 4.3L/ 6spd RCSB truck that he wants to swap the entire drivetrain out of a 2017 Sierra 6.2L/ 8spd Denali into. He has all of the wiring, engine, trans, E92 ECM, T87 TCM, body control modules, everything. He wants to keep the VIN from his Silverado though.

I am reading about, and experiencing issues trying to write the 1G (4.3) VIN into the 3G (6.2) ECM. I have tried a complete rewrite from the editor, and using the VIN change wizard in the scanner.

Are we better off swapping everything from the donor Denali and keeping that VIN in the new truck, or trying to use the E92 ECM out of the 4.3 truck and write a different OS to it, then match all of the other modules to that VIN?

I appreciate any insight.
    Last edited by hivoltagedriver; 05-03-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.
    2017 GMC Sierra SLT: 6.2/ 8spd. Just getting started on it...

Why does he need the VIN. The VIN on the computer makes no difference in how it runs and with HP Tuners you can't put that VIN number in anyway because it doesn't match with the OS of the 6.2.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

He insists on having the VIN match the truck on the ECM, TCM, and all body modules so that he doesn't run into some perceived problems later.
    2017 JKU Rubicon: Purple, long arms, tons, 40s, Banks CAI, Borla cat-back, TD2/HPT tuned, daily.

I had read through that already, but didn't understand it entirely. It looks like HP tuners will allow me to write the OS from the 6.2 truck to his 4.3 E92 ECM? Or am I misunderstanding that? If that is the case, we can get a new unlocked TCM with the VIN from the 4.3 truck, and I can write a tune for the 8L90? Then he can leave all of the body control modules in place in the new truck and everything would match.

I just don't want to run into security issues or anything weird from mismatched VINs on different modules.

Thanks for the responses!

Did you get this figured out. I am having same issue

Advanced Tuner
    Basically, on anything 2010 and newer, more or less, once the VIN is written into the ECM and its "married" to a vehicle, it cannot be changed. Immobilizer learn functions generally won't work, either.

The only thing you can do is get brand new modules, use GM service programming system (SPS) to flash them, write the VIN, and marry them to the vehicle, then perform an immobilizer learn.