Thread: 6l80 overheating after motor swap

Tuner in Training

6l80 overheating after motor swap

Hi I have a 12 Sierra turbo 5.3 just swapped motor and before motor swap trans would stay 150-180 now after 15 mins of driving it will go to 220 and if converter locks it will go down but if it?s unlocked it just keeps rising dosent slip or anything

Senior Tuner
    It could be several things that cause the issue. See if the computer is commanding the TCC to lock up. If not, you need to determine if there are any DTC's that are preventing it from locking the TCC.

Tuner in Training
    No it’s locking in 6th gear if I’m on interstate it’s stays 150 but if I’m in stop and go traffic it steady goes up

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel8768 View Post
    No it’s locking in 6th gear if I’m on interstate it’s stays 150 but if I’m in stop and go traffic it steady goes up
    Post the tune and we can help you with the problem.

Well a typical temp for most modern transmissions is 200 to 210. If you have modified the lockup to occur less than this again should be considered normal. If you reach 240 that is when you start damaging internals. You didn't say if you are using the stock config of cooling. Are you running it through the radiator? Separate aftermarket cooler? Both? Like most fluids you don't want them to cold for "Normal" conditions because you can develop moisture in the fluids. A little heat boils this off. Forgot to add my favorite line to other mechanics who ask similar questions. "Is it ACTUALLY that temp?". In other words get yourself a non-contact temp gauge and check the pan temp to verify that the temp you are seeing is the actual temp and not a skewed sensor.
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 05-05-2021 at 07:11 AM.