Thread: help RAM 2010 PCM fail and dealer blaming HPtune

Advanced Tuner

help RAM 2010 PCM fail and dealer blaming HPtune

ok guys any help will be very apreciated i recently tune a 2010 ram hemi (my first dodge tune ever) and it was running strong and trouble free
    that change when the owner make a vacation trip about 10hours long trip and sudently the truck begin to climb the rpms to uncontroled speed so he shut it off and call a tow rig take it to the closest Dodge dealer and the motherf3%$ tell him that they cannot deal with a tuned pcm that he needs to pay 1000dlls for a new one and also that it takes 10 days to arrive from the factory so the costumer calls me and ask me to jump on a plane and go to rescue him and his truck im attaching the stock file and the current one so anyone can take a look and maybe tell me if i make something wrong that may cause this no throttle control issue thanks for any help that you can give me the tune is not and agresive one i was just dealing with the wot delay and add some timing and the torque managment trimed a litle bit

i have acces to some yunkyard rams of the same year/engine/trans so im gona pickup a couple of spare pcms before i make the trip is too much trouble to change the VIN on this truks cause a trip on the highway is a warranty that the police check the VIN from the OBDII connector to make shure is not a stolen truck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico

If a vehicle works good for a reasonable period of time on all driving conditions then an issue arises some time later, the tune is not the problem.
    The dealer and any shop will blame the tune for whatever problem without checking the car, even if it's not even related. I have been blamed for malfunctioning door locks, airbags, air conditioning, ABS and all kind of ridiculous issues.
    Just because I tuned it, people tend to assume I'm responsible for every thing that happens to their vehicle. They want me to pay for the repairs (or fix them) for all eternity.
    Since I have had enough with that, now I make them sign a waiver telling I'm not responsible for any issues or losses they have.

You should flash the stock tune and test. If the problem goes away then the tune is at fault. If it doesn't then the truck has another problem.

Even if the tune is faulty all the expenses must be paid by the owner. Even the dealer won't pay the expenses caused by the vehicle being stranded in a remote place. They will only fix the vehicle, all the travel, towing and hotel expenses are not covered by the warranty.
    It's not your fault the owner decided to make a long trip in a tuned and untested vehicle.

I always advise my customers to never tell the dealer or shop that the vehicle was tuned, because they will tell a lot of stupid things
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Being a Dealer tech myself, I've successfully flashed many pcm's back to stock, that were either bricked by a tuner, or had a bad tune loaded in them. (or accidentally, if the owner of the vehicle didn't mention having it tuned.) Being the pcm is both a powertrain and an emissions component, it usually has a longer warranty period than other components of a vehicle. I don't know why they wouldn't have attempted to put it back to stock themselves. But, as Monte said, the truck may have other issues. I'd grab another throttlebody to bring as well.

Very common for shops to blame the tune if you say nothing regarding it being tuned the always find the real issue.

Advanced Tuner
    Thank guys for all the opinnions and yes im on my way to the truck and im carrynig a new TB and a spare pcm from a 2008 hemi its a NGC4 also so if the pcm has a troble i got backup but i put my money on the TBA failing fuck that junk dealer LOL

Advanced Tuner
    So heres the final result the jerks of the dealer refuse to "touch" the truck untill the owner pays for a new PCM so i fly over read the truck vcm look NO errors troubles DTCs or whatsoever start the truck and have some throttle hang for about a minute or so but just to 1500rpms on idle so i reflash the pcm to stock do a test drive zero issues get back to the dealer flash it again the same program that it has loaded and ZERO trouble again testdrived half day and hit the road to the shop 10hrs later we are home and the truck works like a charm ..... any idea what may happend?

sounds like the throttle body stuck since the throttle hung for a minute after you started it. Maybe the "uncontrolled rpm" was actually just 1500rpm? Or, it's a bad throttle body and will act up again one day.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Last edited by 10_SS; 04-14-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah thats what i think but the truck is working flawless and still running strong daily time will say but the important is the the costumer is happy with my work so happy costumer happy tuner thanks for your help guys

Potential Tuner
    I know this is an old post, but i'm in the learning process. I have a 09 ram 1500 that is stock. I matched your tune changes in mine, because the wot delay was something i wanted to change. Once changed I did a log and everything was fine. So I took the truck for a spin to the store and back to make sure and see how much of a difference it made. Once I returned home and stopped the new scan I started to go over all the info. The truck was still idling. Out of nowhere the throttle just started opening on its own.

After that happened I shutdown and restarted the truck and the throttle was still trying to open up all the way. It did seem to follow the standard acceleration pattern. I then flashed the original scan back into the truck and restarted it. I did a fresh scan as usual with a different flash. Sat there on idle for about 20 minutes with nothing. So I decided to try the wot delay delete again. Just to see if maybe it is a tb issue and not a program issue. After flash I started scanning from start up to it took off again. I'm trying to understand this stuff and once I can get the school I will. Until then can someone try to explain to me what else changed that caused the idle to randomly take off?

09Ram1500-57 MDSDis-nowotdelay.hpt
    09Ram1500-57 MDSDis-nowotdelay.hpl

I had that idle take off happen after flashing once as well, not with WOT delay, but just from medium load spark timing. Same year. It only happened if I did something with the throttle, like start to rev it up a bit soon after flashing as you would by starting it and listening to the motor, then idle taking off out of control like the idle learn is out of control. In my case it caught itself and it came back down, and problem went away.

Had unrelated idle problems on an older Dodge Ram as well, it would never idle after a dead battery, ever, unless I manually taught it to idle by pedaling it to idle and slowly letting off. This idle runaway is opposite of that problem.

UDPATE: Just compared your tune to my 2010 Ram tune.. mine shows 140F as "Low Idle" ECM 2234 mode, yours shows 190F. I don't know what that table does, but by the sounds of it, it enables Spark Timing to help hold desired idle RPM? You may want to lower it back to stock ~140F?

Update Again: Your ECM 35740 "Min Phi" is also set much lower than mine. 0.099 vs mine: 0.2002. Most other tables are the same, makes me think these changes could be part of the problem since they are both related to idle control?
    Last edited by 10_SS; 06-02-2021 at 08:38 AM.
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Ok, I made the changes and will try the tune again and will post an update. Thank You