Thread: LS swap Chevelle first start

Tuner in Training

LS swap Chevelle first start

Hey guys,
    I?m getting ready to start my 70 Chevelle LS swap for the first time. I?ve done a couple other swaps but nothing where this much has been changed. This car has a different cam, heads, intake, injectors and throttle body. I?m wondering what I should be logging in the scanner for the first start and to get the idle dialed in? The car will be running in speed density and I have a base tune built for it that I think will get it started up.

Tuner in Training
    Bump

Usually it helps to post said file, then we can tell you if you set it up right.

Do the simple stuff. Fix the injector data, fail the MAF, set idle timing around 18-22 degrees depending on camshaft, add a touch of base running airflow etc etc.

If you want my opinion, idle tuning is not what I do first. If it starts, runs and doesn't die when put in drive or returning to idle from a stop then do VE tuning first. Once the VE is tuned it will make fine tuning the idle far easier because now the airflow model is correct.

One of the standard layouts for the scanner will work. Add cylinder airmass, knock retard, commanded AFR or EQ ratio, injector pulse width avg for both banks. Make sure the o2 sensors are there if you are using them and the fuel trims. IAT, ECT sensors, rpm and anything else you think you need.

You'll need a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning this as well. That will need to wired into the HP Tuners or the computer depending on what MPVI you have.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Usually it helps to post said file, then we can tell you if you set it up right.

Do the simple stuff. Fix the injector data, fail the MAF, set idle timing around 18-22 degrees depending on camshaft, add a touch of base running airflow etc etc.

If you want my opinion, idle tuning is not what I do first. If it starts, runs and doesn't die when put in drive or returning to idle from a stop then do VE tuning first. Once the VE is tuned it will make fine tuning the idle far easier because now the airflow model is correct.

One of the standard layouts for the scanner will work. Add cylinder airmass, knock retard, commanded AFR or EQ ratio, injector pulse width avg for both banks. Make sure the o2 sensors are there if you are using them and the fuel trims. IAT, ECT sensors, rpm and anything else you think you need.

You'll need a wideband oxygen sensor for tuning this as well. That will need to wired into the HP Tuners or the computer depending on what MPVI you have.
    I actually had you look it over a month or two ago but I?ll post it up again! Unfortunately the car itself isn?t quite finished yet so I can?t actually drive it. I don?t plan on dialling the idle in this weekend I just wanted to know what to be logging so thank you!

I do have a wideband (aem x series) and it?s wired up to my mpvi2

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

here is the tune filechevelle first start tune.hpt

Tuner in Training
    is there anything additional that needs to be done to make the computer know its in SD mode? I was reading about people having trouble with first start because the vehicle was trying to start with the MAF when it was removed