Thread: Rich idle with Code P0172,P0175 2007 Chevy Avalanche LT 1500 V8 5.3

Potential Tuner

Please Help:Rich idle with Code P0172,P0175 2007 Chevy Avalanche LT 1500 V8 5.3

Hi all,

I'm new with HP tuners and I would appreciate your kind help to solve some issues in my 2007 Chevy avalanche flex-fuel:

1- rich idle with -25 STF and LTF ...I tried to solve the issue with reset alcohol content, replacing MAF sensor , Engine Temperature Sensor, new Spark plugs and wires. The engine still running rich with code p0172,p0172 and Stabilitrak light on with hard shifting Gears . To solve gears hard shifting I disabled codes p0172,p0175 with no error report at DTCs which helped a lot to avoid gears hard shifting.

I attached HP tuners scanning log and the file of my Avalanche .

2- when I fill the truck with 91 octane fuel , if I wanted to shut off the engine stays cranking for 2 seconds just like firing back and when I start up the engine will crank for seconds then start up..I tried to disable flex fuel and copied high octane table to low octane table and no much changed.

3- for DoD ,I need to stay longer on V4 mode ,so I made lower values on Disable Vacuum table with changing Max TPS to 20% and no noticeable changes, so I changed it to stock.

I really appreciate any help on these . Thank you in Advance
    Last edited by almeshtaq; 05-06-2021 at 03:33 AM.

Is this something that just started?
    Are the injectors stock?
    What do your trims look like driving down the Road? Is this log with 91 pump gas (No E85, Just standard E10)?

Log your MAF hertz in your next log
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Is this something that just started?
    Are the injectors stock?
    What do your trims look like driving down the Road? Is this log with 91 pump gas (No E85, Just standard E10)?

Log your MAF hertz in your next log

Thank you for your reply,

Since I bought this truck , I found this issue and code P0172,P0175 sometimes shows on and sometimes not.....I also have no idea about the injectors if it's big or stock, but looks like it's stock .

Trims become natural as soon as RPM reaches 1900 .. ..Here we have M-91 and M-95 gas (MoGas) as it's graded as premium gas and we don't have E85 or E10

I attached another log with MAF hertz , starting morning start up and city driving mode , hope this can help to find out the issue and its solution.

looking forward your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you Drive by Cable or Drive by Wire?
    Have you looked to see if your throttle body needs cleaning?
    EGR sticking open, EVAP Sticking open, I would expect to see other codes.
    Actual Fuel rail pressure? I guess injectors could be "slobbering" at idle, but it seems strange everything cleans up so quickly.

Looking at your log you go pretty normal fuel Trims with just a little throttle and your o2 readings look real good cruising.

I'm not sure this is tune related, but if you want you can try this tune just to see if it makes a difference.
    But I would really look at something in the Throttle Body or EGR.
    I made MAF adjustments based on your last log, and adjusted >Fuel>Oxygen Sensors>Air Flow>Low Flow to match a known stock file

Hope this helps
    Last edited by dhoagland; 05-08-2021 at 10:41 PM.
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    Are you Drive by Cable or Drive by Wire?
    Have you looked to see if your throttle body needs cleaning?
    EGR sticking open, EVAP Sticking open, I would expect to see other codes.
    Actual Fuel rail pressure? I guess injectors could be "slobbering" at idle, but it seems strange everything cleans up so quickly.

Looking at your log you go pretty normal fuel Trims with just a little throttle and your o2 readings look real good cruising.

I'm not sure this is tune related, but if you want you can try this tune just to see if it makes a difference.
    But I would really look at something in the Throttle Body or EGR.
    I made MAF adjustments based on your last log, and adjusted >Fuel>Oxygen Sensors>Air Flow>Low Flow to match a known stock file

Hope this helps
    I appreciate your value considering,

My 2007 Chevy Avalanche is Gen 4 (1500) as mechanic said this generation has no EGR ,I replaced EVAP solenoid valve ... I have checked DTC and there is no other codes.

As we have both bank1 and bank2 are rich in idle ,so if any of injectors leaks that possible leaking in one bank, not both banks at same time..

I tried the file you posted, but there is no changes.

Here is a new log after writing your Tuning .
    Last edited by almeshtaq; 05-09-2021 at 04:02 AM.

Okay

A couple of things I notice:

In your City Drive log your Ethanol Fuel % SAE is 0...
    In your New log it is 17%.. And your commanded AFR is adjusting accordingly 14.68 in First log, 13.68 in your second (Engine seems to be up to Temp so no cold enrichment should be in effect)...
    If I understand correctly your fuel has Zero Ethanol content? We can adjust the Stoich table to eliminate the correction (Engine, General, Stoich AFR, Make the whole table 14.68)

The other thing I notice (new log) your kpa from your MAP channel seems correct at idle, but as you increase your RPM it actually goes down even though your throttle blade position shows increasing. It is apparently without out a load (maybe even in park) but it seems strange.
    The air flow increases on the MAF equal to similar RPM on your other log, but kpa stays low.

Is your throttle Drive by Wire or Cable?
    Either way, Is it possible there is some slop in the actuation of the throttle blade? Meaning the drive mechanism is turning (thus signaling the ecm to increase the fuel) but the blade isn't actually rotating)?
    I would focus on this right now. Make sure its mechanically sound then go though an idle calibration procedure for it.

There are Open loop enrichment tables that can be set to Stoich but you seem to be in closed loop cause your trims are adjusting.

I cut more fuel (out of the VVE table, mostly idle area) in this tune. This is only as a test to see if we can get trims to drop.
    Can you do a drive with the adjusted MAF tune and see what it does under a load. Then If no difference try this one.

Potential Tuner
    The Throttle is wire.

After writing your last tuning , I can feel trims started to change a bit, however still at parking idle / low RPM is returning to -25 STF&LTF ....

Secondly As you suggested ,I changed stoich AFR table all to 14.68 ..
    Last edited by almeshtaq; 05-09-2021 at 09:17 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Okay

A couple of things I notice:

In your City Drive log your Ethanol Fuel % SAE is 0...
    In your New log it is 17%.. And your commanded AFR is adjusting accordingly 14.68 in First log, 13.68 in your second (Engine seems to be up to Temp so no cold enrichment should be in effect)...
    If I understand correctly your fuel has Zero Ethanol content? We can adjust the Stoich table to eliminate the correction (Engine, General, Stoich AFR, Make the whole table 14.68)

The other thing I notice (new log) your kpa from your MAP channel seems correct at idle, but as you increase your RPM it actually goes down even though your throttle blade position shows increasing. It is apparently without out a load (maybe even in park) but it seems strange.
    The air flow increases on the MAF equal to similar RPM on your other log, but kpa stays low.

Is your throttle Drive by Wire or Cable?
    Either way, Is it possible there is some slop in the actuation of the throttle blade? Meaning the drive mechanism is turning (thus signaling the ecm to increase the fuel) but the blade isn't actually rotating)?
    I would focus on this right now. Make sure its mechanically sound then go though an idle calibration procedure for it.

There are Open loop enrichment tables that can be set to Stoich but you seem to be in closed loop cause your trims are adjusting.

I cut more fuel (out of the VVE table, mostly idle area) in this tune. This is only as a test to see if we can get trims to drop.
    Can you do a drive with the adjusted MAF tune and see what it does under a load. Then If no difference try this one.
    The Throttle is wire.

After writing your last tuning , I can feel trims started to change a bit, however still at parking idle / low RPM is returning to -25 STF&LTF ....

Secondly As you suggested ,I changed stoich AFR table all to 14.68 ..

please find attached logs..

I appreciate your help

I’m traveling this week
    I might have a change later in the week to send you a Tune with corrections based on your logs.
    If it works (and I believe it will) I will still be concerned that we are modifying the airflow tables and covering something else up.

Here is one with multiply by full percent adjustments to your MAF and VVE based on your logs.
    This almost has to be too much and is really only intended to see if idle and light throttle trims come in line.

I still think there could be throttle body issues or possible bad injector data due to an injector change that you are not aware of.

Post back up a log with this one

If this is a stock vehicle then diagnose the P0172/P0175 as if it were a stock vehicle. There are multiple possible causes all of which routinely happen in the course of vehicles' normal lives on the road otherwise they wouldn't have been written into the published diagnostics. The tune is not the way to fix it.

Look at B2S1 O2 in your City Driving log from 2:14 to 3:47 while it's still warming up. It behaves very differently from B1S1 during that section and anything like that where two sensors look very different immediately makes me suspicious. If you don't know the history of the oxygen sensors (they were in there when you bought it), replace them. O2 sensors wear out over time. Replace them if for no other reason than you need to have high confidence that they aren't lying to you.

P0172 or P0175

Allow the engine to reach operating temperature. With the engine running, observe the affected Long Term FT parameter with a scan tool. The value should be more than approximately -20 percent with the engine running at operating temperature.
    ⇒ If the value is not more than -20 percent, inspect for the following:
    ? With the engine idling and the transmission in the Park or Neutral position, observe the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor parameter. The MAP sensor parameter should be between 19-42 kPa.
    ⇒ Refer to DTC P0106 if the MAP sensor parameter is not between 19-42 kPa.
    ? With the engine idling, observe the mass air flow (MAF) sensor parameter. The MAF sensor parameter should be within 2-6 g/s at idle.
    ⇒ Refer to DTC P0101 or P1101 or DTC P0102 or P0103 if the MAF sensor parameter is not within 2-6 g/s at idle.
    ? Vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and improper connections
    ? The air intake duct for being collapsed or restricted
    ? The air filter for being dirty or restricted
    ? Objects blocking the throttle body
    ? Excessive fuel in the crankcase due to leaking fuel injectors
    ? The evaporative emissions control system for improper operation
    ? Excessive fuel pressure
    ? Malfunctioning fuel injectors
    ? Fuel contamination
    ? The HO2S for improper installation and for electrical wires or connectors that may have contacted the exhaust system
    ? The HO2S signal circuit shorted to voltage

And just so nobody gets the impression I'm saying 'just fix it, it's not that hard' - I always found the rich/lean codes, especially rich codes, extraordinarily difficult to solve. I'd rather chase down an evap small leak code than a rich code. The text I quoted above is the entirety of the diagnostic info. That's it. Basically, inspect and verify everything. What? Really? You realize I'm on flat rate here and they're only going to pay me .5HR when it's all said and done, right? Jesus H.!

Potential Tuner
    Here is one with multiply by full percent adjustments to your MAF and VVE based on your logs.
    This almost has to be too much and is really only intended to see if idle and light throttle trims come in line.

I still think there could be throttle body issues or possible bad injector data due to an injector change that you are not aware of.

Post back up a log with this one
    Thank you for your time and appreciated help..i tested your tune and it's still the same and no noticed any changes..

The throttle has been cleaned and checked throttle plate comparing with pressing of accelerting padel and looks responding well..about injectors, they are cleaned with test machine and passed stages such as: leackings, high /low speed spray and injection..

Thank you once again for your kind help and concerns.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If this is a stock vehicle then diagnose the P0172/P0175 as if it were a stock vehicle. There are multiple possible causes all of which routinely happen in the course of vehicles' normal lives on the road otherwise they wouldn't have been written into the published diagnostics. The tune is not the way to fix it.

Look at B2S1 O2 in your City Driving log from 2:14 to 3:47 while it's still warming up. It behaves very differently from B1S1 during that section and anything like that where two sensors look very different immediately makes me suspicious. If you don't know the history of the oxygen sensors (they were in there when you bought it), replace them. O2 sensors wear out over time. Replace them if for no other reason than you need to have high confidence that they aren't lying to you.
    I believe there must be reasons of getting rich idle and followed steps of inspecting started with replacing maf, enging coolant sensor and cleaning , testing injectors ...these are which first things have direct effects of fuel trim..

You are absolutely correct that could be o2 sensers deliver different readings to ecu ,but didn't think they are bad for both banks at the same time.

I'm going to check o2 sensers and replace them ..

Thank you for your notice.