Thread: New to tuning

Potential Tuner

New to tuning

hey, im new to tuning and wrote a tune for our work truck. just looking for some insight and advice on how well i did. truck is a 2003 dodge cummins with a 6 speed manual, 120hp injectors, a 62mm turbo and a fass 165. thanks in advance.2003 black flatbed cummins mod.hpt

Tuner in Training
    whats your goals with your work truck?

Potential Tuner
    good power and safe for towing

Tuner in Training
    its a great start to tuning. soi seems alittle high around idle but could be fine on a manual truck. not sure you will get full potential cruising running that pulse width. do a test run post a log to see what shes doing

Potential Tuner
    ok, so your saying if i want more i could increase the pulse widths some more?

Tuner in Training
    yeah. you raised demanded rail pressure so you can increase and test run till your actually RP wont maintain your desired RP then you know your limit.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so pull back soi around idle and then tune it and go from there. Thanks alot

With main pulse limiter enabled you will have a difficult time obtaining desired PW you have in the Inj. PW map. Also boost and baro limit tables. I suggest honestly go learn how to use the data logger and spend a bunch of time watching and learning how everything is responding to your changes and what is limiting your desired outcome. Build the file to where it is doing exactly what you are expecting/commanding it to do. Also monitoring EGT is going to be one of your biggest needed parameters to watch especially for safe towing. I will tell you the PW you have in the table right now the egts will be way too high under heavy load also with stock cp3 and 120hp injectors depending on who built them once you hit the PW table you have in there after removing limiters I think rail pressure will be falling off into the 16-19k psi range from desired of 23k which will be loosing power you would be better off to drop pw a couple hundred microseconds to bring pressure back up for a max effort tune. With 120hp injectors and a 62mm depending on elevation and exhaust configuration of the turbo I'll bet to keep egt's below 1250* under heavy load you will have peak pw be around 1200-1400micoseconds vs the 2600us you are trying to command in your tune, granted you will never hit the 2600us with the current limiters intact either. Another tip is make specific calculated changes and don't change too many things at once. Go change one thing and see how it responds/logs then go change the next thing otherwise you will never know what change created what outcome.