Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unlicensed vehicle error

Tuner in Training

unlicensed vehicle error

i just bought HP Tuners and it came in today. My tuner sent me my file via email. I used the only two credits i bought with the tool on my vehicle this evening. I went to write my tune, and I am getting "unlicensed vehicle".
    2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7. VVT and MDS turned off.

Vehicle was dyno tuned using HP Tuners, so the file is an HP tuners file.
    I bought my own MPVI2 and 2 credits to be able to tune this vehicle whenever I wanted.
    I plugged the tool into my vehicle, told it to use the two credits, and it's telling me unlicensed vehicle.
    I did not plug it into an other vehicle
    I am not trying to skate on my tuners credits for the vehicle, I bought my own.

So what gives? I need this tuned NOW. I even paid for 2 day shipping so I could have this vehicle running this weekend.

Advanced Tuner
    Try to "resync interface" the credits should exist on your account, but they are not loaded onto the MVPI2 until you sync the interface

Tuner in Training
    I did that already. The credits are showing as "used" but the tool is reporting "unlicensed vehicle". It's the only vehicle the tool has every been plugged into.

Potential Tuner
    I am having a similar problem. I originally tuned the vehicle with an MPVI2 and now have a different MPVI2 and it says unlicensed vehicle and won't let me do anything.

Tuner in Training
    According to Pete at HPT support, the tune file was created on an older PCM code base than the current PCM, and that is what is causing the issue.

What I need is HPT to fix the issue. The tune file has already been paid for when the vehicle was originally dyno tuned. Now I bought my own tool and my own credits, and it seems the tune file sucked those up too. So now that file has sucked up 4 credits, and I still can't tune my car.
    The credits I bought to tune my vehicle with should be released so I can flash this tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JGrenert View Post
    I am having a similar problem. I originally tuned the vehicle with an MPVI2 and now have a different MPVI2 and it says unlicensed vehicle and won't let me do anything.
    The vehicle will need to be licensed to the new MVPI2. Licenses stay with the interface.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by putergod View Post
    According to Pete at HPT support, the tune file was created on an older PCM code base than the current PCM, and that is what is causing the issue.

What I need is HPT to fix the issue. The tune file has already been paid for when the vehicle was originally dyno tuned. Now I bought my own tool and my own credits, and it seems the tune file sucked those up too. So now that file has sucked up 4 credits, and I still can't tune my car.
    The credits I bought to tune my vehicle with should be released so I can flash this tune.
    Sounds like the older PCM is licensed and the new one is not

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by white1 View Post
    Sounds like the older PCM is licensed and the new one is not
    Except that the older PCM was licensed well over a year ago by my tuner, and the new PCM was SUPPOSED to be licensed by the credits I bought last week and tried to use to flash my PCM on Sat. So... Yea... both have already been paid for!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by putergod View Post
    Except that the older PCM was licensed well over a year ago by my tuner, and the new PCM was SUPPOSED to be licensed by the credits I bought last week and tried to use to flash my PCM on Sat. So... Yea... both have already been paid for!
    Gentlemen,
    But what is the conclusion?
    I'm running the same issue.
    Yesterday I've tried to download file for the first time to my buddys Challenger 6.1 2009. After going through usual procedure: buying credits, resync interface, choosing write tune to vehicle same message as in Your case appeared: "Unlicensed vehicle". Do You have any feedback from HPT?
    Is there any plan from HPT to solve similar situations?
    Of course I've wrote on support yesterday.

image.png

Tuner in Training
    it happen sometime often with me
    close vcm suite and unplug mpvi2
    plug it again and resync it should work if you car already licensed

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablito[PL] View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Yesterday I've tried to download file for the first time to my buddys Challenger 6.1 2009. After going through usual procedure: buying credits, resync interface, choosing write tune to vehicle same message as in Your case appeared: "Unlicensed vehicle". Do You have any feedback from HPT?

image.png
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I'm sorry you're having troubles and we'd love to help you. Have you already opened up a support ticket? If so, do you have your ticket number so that we can review the status? If not, please open a support ticket here: https://support.hptuners.com
    Thank You very much for quick reply,
    Yes, I have a ticket number: 10711.
    Sending my email yesterday to support, I have attached tune file, and my MPVI2 log file: VCMSuiteinfo.txt.

Tuner in Training
    Gentlemen,

image.png
    Still ongoing. I sent another set of files, logs, screencaptures, etc to Pete this evening. I'm now 5 days behind (after the reschedule due to having top purchase HPT and wait for it to arrive) getting this car running. It has been sitting now for over a month (the first month was due to the PCM issue). This car actually belongs to my GF, but I can't leave her without a vehicle, so she has my truck, and I have a defunct, undrivable vehicle. I really need this resolved - days ago....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.6P View Post
    it happen sometime often with me
    close vcm suite and unplug mpvi2
    plug it again and resync it should work if you car already licensed
    Tried that multiple times.
    Pete from support said he "sees the PCM in the vehicle is not licensed."

Therefore, since my mpvi2 is brand spanking new, never been plugged into ANY other vehicle, and was purchased with 2 credits, if my PCM is not licensed, then I should have two available credits. But, alas, I have two used credits...

http://www.putergod.com/jeep/hpt/20210512_215952.mp4

That video shows what I am experiencing.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thank You very much for quick reply,
    Yes, I have a ticket number: 10711.
    Sending my email yesterday to support, I have attached tune file, and my MPVI2 log file: VCMSuiteinfo.txt.
    looks like Eric is already actively working on this ticket with you.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Support is getting me going...

I have to pull the OEM file from the new PCM, and edit it, as my original tune is a different code base and won't flash to my current PCM.
    Last edited by putergod; 05-13-2021 at 03:46 PM.

Tuner in Training
    SUCCESS!!

Thanks to Corey for helping me out, I finally got her running again, and she's back to her glorious self!

Tuner in Training
    What did you end up having to do?

Potential Tuner
    have the same problem
    How you beat it? Step by step Please

Tuner in Training
    I was having the 'unlicensed vehicle ' issue too. Tried re-sync'ing but to no improvement. Read several threads and saw something, so I tried it. It worked.
    My normal car is a 3 bar Speed density turbo'd 5.3 in a 96 z28. I've been using HPT on it since 2015 or so.
    My friends car is a 1 bar stock type 5.3 in a 1980 Trans/Am. I put the engine together and installed it for her. I bought 2 credits for this tune and it could pull the current tune and I could modify/save it but could not upload. It would simply say, "Unlicensed Vehicle" and never presented the option(s) to license the new PCM or to use the credits, etc. So in the article, it mentioned
    ( a ) copy the lastest application key for HPtuners (highlight, CTRL + C)
    ( b ) Hook up your dongle (HPTuner device) to your laptop using the USB, doesn't need to be attached to the vehicle at this point.
    ( c ) Open the editor, click 'Help', then click 'MPVI' application Keys.
    ( d ) A drop down box appears where , towards the bottom, your current Interface ID and Application Key. To the left of that is a reddish in color fat minus sign. When you click on the Minus sign, it deletes the Interface ID/Application.
    ( e ) paste in the application key you copied on step ' a ', then click 'Add Key'.
    ( f ) exit.

After I did that, I took my laptop and harness/dongle out the the T/A, hooked it up, turned on the key, made sure the scanner still worked/read, the went to the editor and clicked 'write'. NOW the license dialog popped up and I was able to select the write. I had to take the option to 'write entire' to go forward but I got it uploaded. Afterwards, cycled the key, started the scanner, cranked her up and she fired up right off the bat.