Thread: Rebuilt 5.7 w/ cam upgrade, can't get to idle...

Potential Tuner

Rebuilt 5.7 w/ cam upgrade, can't get to idle...

Me and my dad rebuilt the 5.7 hemi out of a 2008 Dodge Charger RT, and we are struggling trying to get the car to idle. We are brand new to hp tuners and both feel a little overwhelmed with all of information out there and not completely understanding what each parameter actually does.
    The car has a comp cams sr2b camshaft (223/235 114LSA), ported 5.7 heads, and stainless works long tube headers with catless midpipes.
    We have been reading the forums and watching some videos and we have made a little progress tuning. We disabled the MDS, EGR, and the rear o2 sensors. We also raised the idle rpm, and adjusted the min base and startup spark tables. The car will start and idle ok for about 10sec before the car starts dumping fuel and pulling timing until it inevitably stalls. Ill attach the tune and log data. We think the car is trying to warm up the catalytic converters that are no longer there and we are not sure how to correct it. I increased the o2 airflow delay a few times in hopes it would help since the sensors are down by the collectors now, but with few noticeable results. Any advice or links to relevant threads would be greatly appreciated. Even getting the car idling and running good enough to cruise around the neighborhood would be a much needed win at this point
    Thanks!Aaron08stock - Tune 2.hpt idle3.hpl
    Last edited by asmrekar08; 05-08-2021 at 10:54 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Haven't looked at your log yet, but are you running uncapped headers? If so, that's why you're dumping fuel. The o2 sensors being so close to atmospheric air would be getting false lean readings at low rpm where mass airflow out of the headers is relatively low, and will allow some atmospheric air to mix and get pulled back into the header/collector area during moments of reversion.

Even after correcting for that, there will definitely be other areas of the tune that need work to get a nice, smooth, consistent idle. But that would be a starting point to get the closed loop fueling to control properly.
    Last edited by B00STJUNKY; 05-09-2021 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling error

Potential Tuner
    No, the exhaust is not uncapped. However we did learn that we need to max out the temperature controls for the catalytic converters and disable the MIL for a few systems.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Potential Tuner
    Thanks MasTuning, we implemented the changes you made to the spark and VE tables. Sadly the car still isn't idling correctly. I noticed that one o2 sensor was pegged at 1.2v the entire time and the other was fluctuating wildly, so I suspect there is an exhaust leak where the midpipes reduce into the x pipe. I also plan to install 2 new o2s at the collectors, and remove the 2 rear sensors and install plugs.

need to see the log

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by asmrekar08 View Post
    Me and my dad rebuilt the 5.7 hemi out of a 2008 Dodge Charger RT, and we are struggling trying to get the car to idle. We are brand new to hp tuners and both feel a little overwhelmed with all of information out there and not completely understanding what each parameter actually does.
    The car has a comp cams sr2b camshaft (223/235 114LSA), ported 5.7 heads, and stainless works long tube headers with catless midpipes.
    We have been reading the forums and watching some videos and we have made a little progress tuning. We disabled the MDS, EGR, and the rear o2 sensors. We also raised the idle rpm, and adjusted the min base and startup spark tables. The car will start and idle ok for about 10sec before the car starts dumping fuel and pulling timing until it inevitably stalls. Ill attach the tune and log data. We think the car is trying to warm up the catalytic converters that are no longer there and we are not sure how to correct it. I increased the o2 airflow delay a few times in hopes it would help since the sensors are down by the collectors now, but with few noticeable results. Any advice or links to relevant threads would be greatly appreciated. Even getting the car idling and running good enough to cruise around the neighborhood would be a much needed win at this point
    Thanks!Aaron08stock - Tune 2.hpt idle3.hpl
    Without looking at the tune yet, I’m pretty sure it needs more startup air.

Potential Tuner
    I installed new o2 sensors and fixed any exhaust leaks I might have had. I attached the current tune in the car and the most recent log. The car does seem to idle ok now, however it is still not right. The stft's are hitting -30% and I am getting gasoline out the tailpipe. Also, it was not responding to the throttle and eventually stalled. Not sure what to do at the moment besides more research. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron08stock - Tune 3.hpt Idle2 Tune 3.hpl

Potential Tuner
    MasTuning, I initially did not correctly copy over your adjusted VE tables with the last tune and log data. I just flashed this newest tune and recorded another log that are both attached. Similar issues with gasoline coming out the tailpipes.
    Aaron08stock - Tune 3.hpt Idle3 Tune 3.hpl

this is your adjusted file, you dont need to copy just flash it

adjusted

Aaron08stock - Tune 4 MAS.hpt

ETC airflow use below

Potential Tuner
    Once again, thank you MasTuning for the continued help. I flashed the tune that you gave me and the car seemed to idle alright, a little fuel out the tailpipe but it seemed less. I was getting some throttle response but it was quite delayed. I decided to try and get the car into gear and was able to back out of my parking spot. The car did stall when trying to reverse with the wheel fully cut. While cruising around the neighborhood the car was surging back and forth and the throttle was more of a suggestion. After that, I tried to use the ETC airflow values that you gave and the car burbled and then died instantly. Ill take this as a win and some much needed progress, thank you.
    IdleTune 4 CRUISE-MAS.hpl IdleTune 4-2MAS.hpl

Aaron08stock - Tune MAS v5.hpt

reset adaptive and throttle learn after flash

Potential Tuner
    With this latest tune, the car seemed to run much better than previously, the idle was smooth and no more gasoline out of the tailpipes. The throttle response was decent except for the first 10%-15% where it felt like there was nothing. I took the car out to fill up the tank and stop by a friend in town, and overall the car handled the in town driving with traffic pretty well. After that I decided to take the car and collect some data on the highway. I eased the car up to 5k rpm a time or two just to collect some data. The car seemed to struggle a bit while cruising in 5th gear, so I opted for 4th gear instead. Ill post the log data with about 2min of idle time and a log with a 25min drive. I cant thank MasTuning enough for the help he has given, we would still be banging our heads against the wall trying to get the car to move under its own power if not for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    Aaron08stock - Tune MAS v5.hpt

reset adaptive and throttle learn after flash

This why I say we need a LIKE BUTTON......
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q