Thread: DOD, VVT, and correct oil pump; Lets settle this....

Tuner in Training

DOD, VVT, and correct oil pump; Lets settle this....

Melling offers oil pumps that are:
    Standard Pressure / Standard Volume
    High Pressure / Standard Volume
    Standard Pressure / High Volume
    High Pressure / High Volume

On engines equipped WITH DOD and VVT, I know they are a high volume, and I assume they are a high pressure as well. Both the DOD and the VVT require extra oil to function. So my real question is this.

On engines with BOTH the DOD and VVT deleted, I assume and have read a standard volume / standard pressure pump would be adequate. On an engine with ONLY the DOD deleted, but still using a VVT, you still need the extra oil for the cam. So, would it be better to get the High volume, the High pressure, or the one with both?

I realize this is not exactly tuning, but I have seen this debate on many websites, with no real consistent answers. And, no one really points out the differences of the DOD vs VVT oil requirements...

Thank you
    Casey

It depends if you keep the second, external bypass valve in the pan or not. If it's still there, it doesn't matter what pressure relief valve is in the pump (std pressure vs high pressure), it'll never have more than ~55psi. If you block the valve in the pan the pressure is controlled by the valve in the pump.