Thread: Throttle tuning and traction control

Potential Tuner

Throttle tuning and traction control

Looking at doing some minor changes on my 05 Magnum R/T

First, is the throttle. I hate the feeling of disconnect you get with DBW compared to DBC. Someone had mentioned to me about tuning it to react more like DBC, as his tuner was able to do that. He said maybe look at commanded throttle position (APPS) vs actual throttle position (TPS).

Is this something that can be changed/fixed? I grew up with DBC, and I would love to get it to drive as close to that kind of feel as possible.

Also, I heard before that the engine will pull timing if you hold the RPM higher than idle for more than a couple seconds. Is this true or just a myth? If so, is there any way to stop that if it's affecting performance when launching?

I've got a 3200 stall in the car, and I'm usually up on the converter after pre-stage but before staging, so it can be at the higher RPM for 5-10 seconds depending on how long it takes the other car to stage.

Lastly, what's a sure fire way to ensure traction control stays fully disabled? Previously I've been using the Diablosport tuner and turning traction control off, but after a few times starting the car the warning lights will turn off as if traction control is back on. Also, is there any way to ensure cruise control stays functional? When turning off traction control in the Diablo tuner, cruise control is nonfunctional due to "faults" in the traction control system. Neither car sees winter driving, and both of us are used to not having traction control so not having it on isn't an issue from a safety perspective.

We have some slicks we want to run, but they are shorter. With a stock un-tuned car, the car will just dereg and slow right down because it thinks it's spinning (due to different size tires). I want to have it so I don't have to bring a laptop with me just to turn traction control off so we can run the slicks (especially since I will be tuning my parent's Magnum as well)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SaskMopar View Post
    Looking at doing some minor changes on my 05 Magnum R/T

First, is the throttle. I hate the feeling of disconnect you get with DBW compared to DBC. Someone had mentioned to me about tuning it to react more like DBC, as his tuner was able to do that. He said maybe look at commanded throttle position (APPS) vs actual throttle position (TPS).
    There are some settings that will help with that feel. I cannot recall the parameters from memory on a 2005 however

Is this something that can be changed/fixed? I grew up with DBC, and I would love to get it to drive as close to that kind of feel as possible.

Also, I heard before that the engine will pull timing if you hold the RPM higher than idle for more than a couple seconds. Is this true or just a myth? If so, is there any way to stop that if it's affecting performance when launching?
    That is partly true, partly myth there are some tuning adjustments that can stop that. Look at brake stall under torque management

I've got a 3200 stall in the car, and I'm usually up on the converter after pre-stage but before staging, so it can be at the higher RPM for 5-10 seconds depending on how long it takes the other car to stage.

Lastly, what's a sure fire way to ensure traction control stays fully disabled? Previously I've been using the Diablosport tuner and turning traction control off, but after a few times starting the car the warning lights will turn off as if traction control is back on. Also, is there any way to ensure cruise control stays functional? When turning off traction control in the Diablo tuner, cruise control is nonfunctional due to "faults" in the traction control system. Neither car sees winter driving, and both of us are used to not having traction control so not having it on isn't an issue from a safety perspective.
    Yes you can totally disable traction control engine>general>size>displacement change this to anything other than stock setting and it will disable traction control. You will lose cruise control as well

We have some slicks we want to run, but they are shorter. With a stock un-tuned car, the car will just dereg and slow right down because it thinks it's spinning (due to different size tires). I want to have it so I don't have to bring a laptop with me just to turn traction control off so we can run the slicks (especially since I will be tuning my parent's Magnum as well)

There are some settings that will help with that feel. I cannot recall the parameters from memory on a 2005 however
    It be a lot cooler if you did...

Yes you can totally disable traction control engine>general>size>displacement change this to anything other than stock setting and it will disable traction control. You will lose cruise control as well
    In my Torque Management settings, the tables under "Stall TqMgmt" --> "Stall use Spark," and "Stall use FSO" are both disabled. Also the two buttons beneath them that are labeled Brake on Torque, and Brake Off Torque, are both set to maximum...

Is this how they should be set to use the launch features? A quick run through on how to set up launch mode would be cool.

I am on a 2007 Charger SRT8 with Superbee Rom, fully tuned for mods I currently have, other than launch control...

Thanks in advance