Thread: 2014 Impala LTZ Transmission question

Potential Tuner

2014 Impala LTZ Transmission question

I have Impala 2014 with a 6T70 transmission, I have been researching how to exactly tune to change the shifting it feels sluggish when in auto, if i drive in manual it pulls through the gears without hesitation, Ive seen some tunes from other vehicles with the same trans. Would following the changes done on those work since it has the same trans? Total newbie, Just trying to figure out where to get started.. Thanks

Take small steps is about all I can say. You may not know if some of those other tunes are good to use or not for copying data.

Usually minor adjustments to shift pressure, shift speed/time and pressure presets can make the transmission shift nicer. Even disabling the torque converter if it uses that is the lower gears. In trucks I only let the converter lock in 5th and 6th because they are over drives and it helps with converter life which some of these trucks have issues with.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the advice. That is what my plan is. Just was looking to see what others have done to fix the impala shift issues.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Take small steps is about all I can say. You may not know if some of those other tunes are good to use or not for copying data.

Usually minor adjustments to shift pressure, shift speed/time and pressure presets can make the transmission shift nicer. Even disabling the torque converter if it uses that is the lower gears. In trucks I only let the converter lock in 5th and 6th because they are over drives and it helps with converter life which some of these trucks have issues with.
    I am trying to find the converter lock in this file for the lower gears, not sure if I can disable that or not, When i compared a file with from a Malibu that Russ K posted, I noticed alot of the values are different.. In apply and release i only see 5th and 6th unless i'm missing something?
    Attached Files Attached Files

You don't see the "Apply and Release" in the normal section. It says in there 1st apply, 2nd apply, 3rd apply right there in that one table. As you can see it's turned off in 1st but active in gears 2-6.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    You don't see the "Apply and Release" in the normal section. It says in there 1st apply, 2nd apply, 3rd apply right there in that one table. As you can see it's turned off in 1st but active in gears 2-6.
    I do now.. Thank you for your time.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblow3 View Post
    I do now.. Thank you for your time.
    I have adjusted the tcc lockup to not enable in 1st through 4th, just wondering if someone could look at my tune and let me know if i correctly did 5th gear? Also i applied the upshift table .5 multiplier is this the correct way to have it upshift to a lower gear?

Do you really want 5th gear to have a 48mph enter speed but then have your 6th gear enter speed at 36mph for the converter?

You may have to revise that. Maybe put 5th gear at 40-45mph and then 6th gear closer to 50mph. The apply and release speeds should be close in mph, like 3-5mph difference give or take. So if the apply is at 42, the release is at 39 for 5th and something like 48 for 6th apply and 45 for release. That's just an example and likely how I'd do it.

I don't get your last question. The stuff you touched for that is in the Torque mngt tab and not really for upshift stuff.

Potential Tuner
    Do you really want 5th gear to have a 48mph enter speed but then have your 6th gear enter speed at 36mph for the converter?

You may have to revise that. Maybe put 5th gear at 40-45mph and then 6th gear closer to 50mph. The apply and release speeds should be close in mph, like 3-5mph difference give or take. So if the apply is at 42, the release is at 39 for 5th and something like 48 for 6th apply and 45 for release. That's just an example and likely how I'd do it.

I don't get your last question. The stuff you touched for that is in the Torque mngt tab and not really for upshift stuff.
    Thank you for your feedback, i made the adjustment you advised, I did change the torque mngt tab back to factory, but did adjust the shift schedule section hoping that is the correct table to adjust upshift and downshift speeds.