Thread: 09 Colorado 5.3LMG swap shuts down at WOT/wheel spin

Potential Tuner

09 Colorado 5.3LMG swap shuts down at WOT/wheel spin

Hi Guys,

I have just swapped a 63k mile 5.3L LMG and 6l80E out of a 2010 Silverado into my 2009 Colorado. It is using the E67 ECM and a Current Performance wiring harness. The truck runs and drives just fine until I stomp down. As soon as it up shifts from 1-2 or 2-3 at WOT it will shut down and the transmission will temporarily lock up causing me or my passengers to always wear brown pants. It will also shut down if it hits the rev limit while doing a burn out at the track.

The traction control options are all disabled, all gear and diff ratios are as they should be. Really not sure what the cause would be as it doesn't throw and codes and there is no CEL.
    I have tried 2 "professional" tuners and neither of which were of any help.

I have attached the tune file. Engine wise it is stock as stock can be internally, the DOD is disabled in the software. A Volant intake, Hooker swap manifolds and a custom 2.5" to 3" exhaust are the only mods.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated
    Colorado gear ratio settings.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sirnixalot; 05-10-2021 at 02:05 PM.

You segment swapped your original file? What do you plan to do about the two segments that HPT can't access? According to GM TIS both the 5.3L & 3.7L Colorado use the same hidden Slave Operating System calID (12625997), but the hidden Engine segment is different (12612313 in your file, 12626924 for a 5.3L).

There are probably differences in the ABS/EBCM calibrations between the L5 and V8 trucks, too. Have you driven it with the ABS fuse(s) pulled?

Potential Tuner
    Currently the ABS module is unplugged but it makes no difference.

To answer the other question, that part is out of my depth. This is probably of no help but the Colorado came with a 3.7L and the tuner only required me to pull the stock files off the E67 PCM and T43 TCM.
    Last edited by sirnixalot; 05-10-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Can you post a logfile? There's a tab in the logs that shows the two segment IDs that the Editor doesn't. Log doesn't really need to show it doing anything, but it might be helpful to see if you can catch it. Add channels for anything that might be related - delivered & desired torque, throttle stuff, anything about torque management...

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    same hidden Slave Operating System calID (12625997), but the hidden Engine segment is different (12612313 in your file, 12626924 for a 5.3L).
    Correction - those two are what's in a stock 3.7L calibration, I don't know which ones are in the file currently on your ECM.

Potential Tuner
    Sorry for the delay, I finally got a log.

Thanks for the help as well
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    I noticed the RPM shift point map and the MPH shift point map are "different" . 1-2 is at 6000rpm which is 33mph with the tire size and rear diff I have but when I look at the MPH map it shows the 1-2 shift at 30mph.

I doubt that's the problem because it will shut down after a WOT down shift also

photo_2021-05-20_14-34-10.jpg