Thread: How should I adjust spark timing at wot for cam swap?

Tuner in Training

How should I adjust spark timing at wot for cam swap?

Hello, I have a 05 gto, ls2, d1sc procharger, 4.00 pulley, longtubes, exhaust, e85, etc. Speed density tune.
    I'm currently installing a cam, previous cam was stock. I'm installing the ccp jam cam, 230/242 . 608"/. 615" 115+4.
    I've seen guides on how to tune the idle so I'm fine there, but I can't seem to find any information on how I should adjust the spark timing table overall for the cam swap. Like how I should adjust timing at wot?
    Thanks.

Without experience or a dyno play it safe... start mid teens on e85

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Without experience or a dyno play it safe... start mid teens on e85
    I think you misunderstand, I already have a sd tune that's pretty well dialed in, it's proven to be reliable thus far. But now I'm installing a bigger cam and I want to know how to account for a larger cam timing wise. (I'll dial in the fuel of course first.) Should I add timing for a larger cam in the upper rpm range, should I remove timing, should I increase timing low and mid rpm and leave upper rpm alone, etc?

People sure like to go from 0 to 100 with camshaft swaps these days. Super mild stock camshaft to some pretty spicy camshaft.

Probably going to have to aim for low 20's for idle timing. You must scale back the over/underspeed spark correction tables if they are very spread out. If the tables allow for huge swings from like +18 to -25+ you need to dial it back to like 10/-10.

The rest of the stuff just stick with what you have now for timing with a little less at full throttle. It may want more timing in the mid range but it's hard to say for certain. Like you said you'll need to completely redo the VE table for the huge change in camshaft.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.