Thread: E38 Z06 Computer - Adding Control for 4L75R - Process Confirmation

E38 Z06 Computer - Adding Control for 4L75R - Process Confirmation

I'm working on a '64 Nova with a blown LS3 that currently has a T400. We're going to install a 4L75R and I'd like to confirm that I'm adding the control structure to the E38 Correctly.

I haven't done a segment swap before and I'd like this to work properly. The trans started as a brand new 4L70e from GMPP. We changed first gear and a few other parts to match the specs of the 75R.

My understanding is I need to find a gen 4 vehicle with a 4l70e, license the file, and write the transmission control the the E38. The other option I've seen is using the segment swapper tool if I can find a file that is compatible.

The trans has a 15 pin connector.

I am having trouble finding a calibration file for a E38 equipped car with a 4l70e. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I see that the TBSS has a 4l70e running off a T42 in an E40. Would writing this file to the TCM work?
    Last edited by evolmotorsprt; 05-13-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Why do you need a different T42 operating system at all? This is still electrically a 15-pin 60E-based trans just with different ratios? Edit the tune file to suit the changes, write, done. I am confused.

I did a Google for '4L75R' and got: HDMI splitter, a DC-DC converter, and a bunch of Chinese crap. I only thought I was confused before.

I assume you mean 4L75E and not the R.... basically GMs sonnax parts that takes 650ftlbs..

Use the same OSfrom 60e T42, works fine

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Why do you need a different T42 operating system at all? This is still electrically a 15-pin 60E-based trans just with different ratios? Edit the tune file to suit the changes, write, done. I am confused.
    The Z06 controller didn't have the trans info in it so I thought I'd ask just to see how to proceed. Now that I know I can use the basic 4l60e configuration to control the 4l70e I'll go ahead and find an appropriate trans file.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    I assume you mean 4L75E and not the R.... basically GMs sonnax parts that takes 650ftlbs..

Use the same OSfrom 60e T42, works fine
    Thanks for the response. I'm not an authority on transmissions or claim to be, but the way the builder explained it to me is the 75R has the Sonnax internals with a 2.84 1st gear to make the gear set close ratio. This is going to be in a purpose built drag car.

1964 Chevrolet Nova LS3 Whipple As Found.hpt

Yea just get a t42 and will work (4l60e file will work)

I like the 2.84 first gear the shift extension is better

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

The Z06 file doesn't have the trans info in it because it is a manual trans ECM. Also, it's a 2009-up E38 so you will need a 2009-up T42/TCM OS, as the late E38 won't talk to an early TCM OS and vice versa. I don't think there are any '09-up car OSes that will talk to a T42, you will likely need to change to a truck OS of some flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    The Z06 file doesn't have the trans info in it because it is a manual trans ECM. Also, it's a 2009-up E38 so you will need a 2009-up T42/TCM OS, as the late E38 won't talk to an early TCM OS and vice versa. I don't think there are any '09-up car OSes that will talk to a T42, you will likely need to change to a truck OS of some flavor.
    Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the help from both of you.

Advanced Tuner
    09 Express Van E38+T42 would probably work for this, you'd need to either source a new ECM and/or confirm this Vette one can be fully reflashed via SPS. You'd then need to set up the wiring and vehicle as if it were an Express Van, so likely a new pedal assembly would be needed as well.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned