Thread: 2005 ram hpt can't "see" the trans portion

2005 ram hpt can't "see" the trans portion

i've not run into this on an 05, 04 yes as those are missing many features but 05 i've always had no problems.
    hpt can't read the trans portion of the ecu. i asked and was told This vehicle is equipped with a non-CAN NGC3.
    so i ask well how about a can ngc3 and get a new PCM may change the features you have but I don't know if any other PCM's will be compatible with the vehicle, the OS you want to use and the sensors and modules in the vehicle.

I would suggest asking this on our forum where other tuners would be able to better answer this specific question.

so. i'm asking if anyone knows what i might do to get the trans. and i don't really need the trans, just need tires and differential, but i don't have that either due to the non-can issue. willing to get another ecu, but from what and will it completely work with the other modules in the truck?

any help is much appreciated. the original read is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've had that problem with an 05 I played with last year, the only thing I can say is the one I worked on was an early 05 , August or September built truck...it read like my 04 Ram.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    i've not run into this on an 05, 04 yes as those are missing many features but 05 i've always had no problems.
    hpt can't read the trans portion of the ecu. i asked and was told This vehicle is equipped with a non-CAN NGC3.
    so i ask well how about a can ngc3 and get a new PCM may change the features you have but I don't know if any other PCM's will be compatible with the vehicle, the OS you want to use and the sensors and modules in the vehicle.

I would suggest asking this on our forum where other tuners would be able to better answer this specific question.

so. i'm asking if anyone knows what i might do to get the trans. and i don't really need the trans, just need tires and differential, but i don't have that either due to the non-can issue. willing to get another ecu, but from what and will it completely work with the other modules in the truck?

any help is much appreciated. the original read is attached.

Is the truck 4WD or 2wd ? I've never had an 04/05 2wd show anything other then general info in the trans section, but the 4wds I've run across are hit or miss with the 04/05 shift scheduling, section. . the 05 I mentioned in the other post was a 4WD that I did a 441CI BGE based G3 for . I told him the 545 wasn't going to live long behind that monster and that it was going to have to be swapped to something else....it now has a 46RH trans and transfer case out of a 95Ram.

All but 1 of my (7)03-05 rams still has a 545 trans ,my 04 SLT , and that truck only shows General info in the trans section........after June 1st it also is getting a trans swap this one will be a 518Non-lock up,
    G3 Hemi Videos

but you never tried a work around like i'm considering, a 2006 ecu?
    just lived with it...

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    but you never tried a work around like i'm considering, a 2006 ecu?
    just lived with it...
    Yeap tried the later 06 and even 07-08, I have a complete 2014 set up in my 03 , my Nephews 09 was swapped to a 2014 also and last year my nephew and I swapped his 03 over to a complete 2014 8sp set up , ECU, dash cluster (modified the complete dash board)..sensors , wiring harnesses, fuel system..... rear axle .... we replaced the 03 rear frame section with the rear section from the 2014 donor,
    if you go 06 (or 07/08) the Dash cluster needs to be swapped out , might as well grab all the wiring from the donor it's easier then hacking up the pre 06 stuff and adding sensors and wires ..... it's doable and has been done before 06 is not as limited as 05 but 07/08 is better yet....but 09+ is the best.....not sure what state you live in(or where in the world....and I don't mean for that to sound "snippy" ) but here in PA it can be an inspection issue. ....... miss matched VIN , mis-matched emission controls......but lots of options going that route and it's not that hard just tedious and time consuming.
    2014 is the best set up for the NON-PCM locked Rams..... .
    Diablo and SCT are your limited choice to do anything with the 04/05 trans...and that is very limited....keep me posted
    G3 Hemi Videos

well, i don't think would go to anywhere near that effort to fix it. what happens is over time you get incorrect gear ratios codes and sometimes it'll have limp throttle. just need ecu reset or disc. battery.
    what a bummer this is so messy. i'll try contacting diablo to see if they know if it's possible to change tire size on 05 ecu with their programmer. but think either they won't know for sure or hpt can't do it, it can't be done. this far back it should be a level playing field for features between all the companies.

I keep a Diablo Hand held around for my 04 SLT so I can change the tire size , I change it to 275/50r17 for the M&H At the track and 265/70R17 Crapyears for the street driving.
    G3 Hemi Videos

ok, then it sounds like it'll work. i'll start looking for a used unmarried one see if i do that vs new.
    thanks for the help!