Thread: L83 running horrible (regardless of tune file) log and tune attached

L83 running horrible (regardless of tune file) log and tune attached

I can't seem to catch a break with this damn truck I had it running/idling with (vve/vt/maf/vvt disabled and everything else) dialed fairly close a few days ago. Now randomly it's just all over the place and last night it was leaning out down low unless I go crazy trying to bring it up with maf. its just not right and it just sounds like ass the idle sounds like buzzing/fluttering theres no lope like hyper speed regardless of target rpm it start up less rapid it quickly revert. Spent 36 straight hours writing files starting over tuning step by step the whole nine tried this in every way or revert to a entire stock file engine/trans minus disabling DOD/COT with or without disabling DTCs corrected for my application no change. While it will run it's just pitiful and frustrating to come this far and have all this money tied up in project that’s my DD. I tried dialing in my o2's today since i have p015b p015d codes permanent post cam install had LTs headers on long before this with the rear o2's disable did not have this issue with the upstreams at any rate its acted right with these present there's no leaks. I did update my firmware and downloaded the latest vcm suite thinking that may cause random issues. Check for post maf air leaks/vacuum leaks none went thru the harness/fuses the trucks got 58k on it the fact that the codes are simultaneously present its unlikely they both failed but I have lost communication between the mpvi2 and the pcm code pop up I don't think the e92's fail all that often. Either way it's a FBO LT's none catted y l86 mani-throttle/ 22x/230 cammed (w/ 0 degree limiter) DOD deleted L83/6L80e 2018 silverado. All bolt on were on long before the cam-dod delete as stated it has run right with no problem before and after now randomly started this out of the blue tuning doesnt seem to really to be doing anything at all as of right now. I know on thing that its mechanically in time arrow to dot 100% as i pulled it twice. Please help im about to drive this thing in to a lake.
    LOG.hplSTOCK FILE.hpt
    LOG.hplSTOCK FILE.hpt
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 05-13-2021 at 07:35 PM.

65-70kpa on idle sounds high: either vacuum leak or cam a tooth off.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    as i mentioned in your other thread, the file is off in many ways that you posted before.

now you posting a stock file whats the point?
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

I was watching a video the other night in which it was stated that the L83 gets really tight for piston to valve clearance once you get into the 220 deg duration range.

Fast forward to around the 9 minute mark for the comments on the piston to valve clearance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXKhfTUTIw&t=41s

Might be worth doing a leak down test before investing any more time tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by MoBoost View Post
    65-70kpa on idle sounds high: either vacuum leak or cam a tooth off.
    I tore it down as it kept getting worse at that point I knew it could only be mechanical. From the outside it appeared to be very close to dot to dot maybe a tooth off as you stated. After removing the cam gear /phaser it was pretty clear that the dowel did seat partially into the hole although not fully which allowed the cam to over advance under heavy load I assume which wasn?t really all that noticeable drivability wise there was a fainted flutter/valve train noise I mean none of my friends could hear it super subtle. So I?m not crazy this explains why it idled like it should and responded to tuning adjustments initially as it should. This could be fluke I had p0010/p0011 codes but managed to clear them after disabling/zeroing out the vvt airflow/spark tables for the phaser lockout. I didn?t see them for at least a week on the scanner until yesterday.

Later as it wore the machined dowel hole roughly 2x its original diameter mind you even being torqued to spec which off the top of my head is 49ftlbs + 90 degrees w/ a new TTY vvt bolt. Then the overlap increased engine noise, pegged the LT fuel trims super leaned down low the map numbers high made barely start/idle or run for that matter it was painful to listen too on the way to my garage.

Here?s where I?m at with the valley cover, valve covers, and timing cover oil pan off (cam gear/oil pump removed as well) I spent a fair amount of time visually inspecting things last night. The cam lobes appear to show no damage the the cylinder walls look immaculate at least underneath. Checked my push rods, preload on my rocker arms before removal trunions rotate normal, springs all intact the valves appear to be straight locks/retainers are seated completely uniform. The motor turned over normal with a 1/2 ratchet on the crank before I took the chain/rockers off not seeing any metal minus what was inbetween the cam gear/cam. Went thru pan removed the tray/filter/oil nothing. The heads are still on the main reason is because I?m nervous about the block stripping after the amount of metal I removed chasing the threads when doing the DOD delete and the insane amount of torque specified has nothing to do with my willingness to do to the work. I was assured by RKspeed directly PTV would not be an issue as I wasn?t comfortable doing fly cutting. I know in perfect world no matter the circumstances you should check it. It?s leaves me on the fence either way I could put it back together all could be well or maybe minor damage the dome in the pistons/valve I can?t see visually from the the current cam gear issue. Or pull the heads to confirm there is or isn?t damage and/or PVT clearance issues with the risk of stripping the block doing another round of head bolts. ����

Ultimately having slight amount of tension on the chain more then it should when the lock pin on the tensioner is in correctly it takes quiet a bit more than you would expect the plastic guide has to straighten out to increase it overall height. This cause the dowel not seat 100% but be dot to dot until load wore into the cam gear only getting further out of time. I should have left the lock pin in the tensioner installed I was just rushing use a pick instead rookie mistake.
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 05-16-2021 at 03:03 PM.