Thread: 2015 Coyote will not initialize crank relearn; FRPP strategy

Potential Tuner

2015 Coyote Control Pack will not initialize crank relearn; FRPP strategy

Hi all,

Relatively new to this platform (previous experience was in EEC-IV tuning) and trying to initiate a crank relearn on a 2015 5.0 mustang PCM. Engine and PCM were a takeout from a 2015 GT and is now living in a 1968 Country Sedan station wagon. TC-1791, ECM, Ford; Operating system: FRPP1H2 (changed the strategy to a 2015 Control Pack.)

When I attempt to start the relearn procedure, I receive an error "unable to initialize crank relearn routine". This is after the engine is up to temp, etc. I've tried with engine running and with engine off (according to the HP Tuners process https://support.hptuners.com/hc/en-u...earn-Procedure.)

The performance pack tune has the misfire monitor disabled by default, so I enabled it thinking this may be the issue. No change. No DTCs detected.

Any others see this type of issue on performance pack/crate engine situations? I've searched the web and forums but nothing specific to this scenario.
    Last edited by NCRodeoman; 05-18-2021 at 08:42 PM. Reason: better title to promote response

Potential Tuner
    Bump on the post - Does anyone know of an instance where a coyote control pack successfully ran a crank re-learn using VCM, IDS, etc?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRodeoman View Post
    Hi all,

Relatively new to this platform (previous experience was in EEC-IV tuning) and trying to initiate a crank relearn on a 2015 5.0 mustang PCM. Engine and PCM were a takeout from a 2015 GT and is now living in a 1968 Country Sedan station wagon. TC-1791, ECM, Ford; Operating system: FRPP1H2 (changed the strategy to a 2015 Control Pack.)

When I attempt to start the relearn procedure, I receive an error "unable to initialize crank relearn routine". This is after the engine is up to temp, etc. I've tried with engine running and with engine off (according to the HP Tuners process https://support.hptuners.com/hc/en-u...earn-Procedure.)

The performance pack tune has the misfire monitor disabled by default, so I enabled it thinking this may be the issue. No change. No DTCs detected.

Any others see this type of issue on performance pack/crate engine situations? I've searched the web and forums but nothing specific to this scenario.
    All the tunes Ive seen turn off P0315. Ive had no problem running it this way for over 3 years now

Potential Tuner
    This is what I've discovered so far as well. The only reason I was inquiring is I thought it might resolve an issue I had at the time (it was something else) but then thought it may be needed when I do a clutch change in the future. After looking through a lot of the swap and factory 5 car threads, it seems it may not be "necessary."

Potential Tuner

Question Unable to initialize Crank Relearn Gen 2 Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by NCRodeoman View Post
    This is what I've discovered so far as well. The only reason I was inquiring is I thought it might resolve an issue I had at the time (it was something else) but then thought it may be needed when I do a clutch change in the future. After looking through a lot of the swap and factory 5 car threads, it seems it may not be "necessary."
    What was the cause? We have the same problem. Changed crank sensor. still no luck. We have an idling issue. Tapping the throttle or coming back to normal idle the engine will begin to lope and almost stall. Throws a P0019 code, P0390 and P0394 all related to bank 2 cam 2. We notice it triggers when the idle briefly drops to 575 RMP and the exhaust cam over compensated and goes from zero degrees to 47 degrees. We re-did the timing and have the same effect. I believe one of the new phasers is defective. Really not sure. Running out of options.

Potential Tuner
    My apologies, just now saw this reply. It was a corrupted tune file for me. I rebuilt the tune from scratch and it solved the issue.