Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.3 ecoboost crate motor in jetboat.

Tuner in Training

2.3 ecoboost crate motor in jetboat.

Hi Guys
    I have had this setup running for sometime and have always perceived some issues but it performs really well. I recently purchased a MPVI2 and have done a couple of logs and sure enough it has shown I have issues ie popcorn and combustion stability limits. It also feels to me as if there is some limiting going on at part accelerator position at close to 4000 rpm and above. I am very green when it comes to knowing what to do so I would appreciate any expert comment. Please find attached the FRPP tune and two scans.

Regards Brian.

PS I am in New Zealand so there is limited experience in the area tuning these modern factory pcms.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Tune appears to be a pretty standard stock Mustang 2.3 tune, but with most emissions stuff disabled.

The change at 4k RPM looks like it's switching from stoich to power enrichment, you can change pedal position % with ECM #32732 (Fuel enrichment pedal vs RPM) to suit your application, probably somewhere around 40 or 50% would work.
    It's otherwise hitting the stock 2.2 air load that it should and seems to be doing what it should, the popcorn/combustion stability limits normal on these strategies, mainly it's riding the LSPI load limit table.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your assessment and please excuse my ignorance but should or could I be doing anything to stop it riding these limits. If so could you be quite specific in describing what to do.
    Cheers.

Advanced Tuner
    There isn't anything wrong with it running on those limits, it's keeping things safe and under control.
    The LSPI limits and a few others will need to be raised if you are going to make more power, but otherwise it's perfectly fine as is.

Tuner in Training
    Cheers much appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    Torque management>General>LSPI Reduction>Hi, low, nominal effectiveness
    Torque management>General>Combustion stability Limit> Max MAP, Max Brake Torque
    One method is to max out the combustion stability limits and use the LSPI reduction tables to limit load to the desired amount. Seeing as your intake temps stay super low (air/water intercooler with lake I'm assuming) you'll never get to the higher rows of the LSPI tables. According to other threads people run 22-24 psi on the stock 2.3L mustangs, you're running about 18-19 psi according to the log. Many tuners will remote tune (they send you tune file, you send back logs, tweak, repeat), so you're not limited to getting an aftermarket tune by geographical location. This sounds like a really cool project! Would love to see some pics/video.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by F150Farmer View Post
    Torque management>General>LSPI Reduction>Hi, low, nominal effectiveness
    Torque management>General>Combustion stability Limit> Max MAP, Max Brake Torque
    One method is to max out the combustion stability limits and use the LSPI reduction tables to limit load to the desired amount. Seeing as your intake temps stay super low (air/water intercooler with lake I'm assuming) you'll never get to the higher rows of the LSPI tables. According to other threads people run 22-24 psi on the stock 2.3L mustangs, you're running about 18-19 psi according to the log. Many tuners will remote tune (they send you tune file, you send back logs, tweak, repeat), so you're not limited to getting an aftermarket tune by geographical location. This sounds like a really cool project! Would love to see some pics/video.

Tuner in Training
    Have made some changes as suggested but am now running into 'exhaust temp protection' limits which is driving it to .68 lambda. Will this AFR cause it to have bit a shimmy at WOT 5500 rpm and just feel like it's gone a bit soft?

Potential Tuner
    Is this the indmar 2.3L ecoboost setup or did you swap out your own engine into the boat? If you did, how did you get the engine to put out full power without the transmissions attached or make it think it is attached to a manual?

Tuner in Training
    It is the FRPP crate engine which came with the dedicated control pack including pcm designed for stand alone operation.

Tuner in Training
    I have just been advised of a PID "cat temp B1S1" available to log. Would this be a reliable means of checking exhaust temp?

Tuner in Training
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me which driver demand torque table my PCM will be indexing. I found a PID on the scanner which indicates "neutral yes/no" and my scan comes up with "no" indicating it thinks it's in gear. Since there is no TCM in my setup does anyone know how I can determine what gear it thinks it's in?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Just wondering if anyone could tell me which driver demand torque table my PCM will be indexing. I found a PID on the scanner which indicates "neutral yes/no" and my scan comes up with "no" indicating it thinks it's in gear. Since there is no TCM in my setup does anyone know how I can determine what gear it thinks it's in?
    My guess would be the PRN1 map.

Tuner in Training
    Could anyone tell me how "Torque Management/General/Maximum Torque" tables 2a,3a,b,OP2a,OP3a,OPb, are indexed and what determines which one is used? Also is OP optimum power and if so is optimum power maximum power or most fuel efficient power or what? Also what determines when in OP?
    Cheers.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Guys

Wondering if someone knows how to reset "permanent trouble codes" with my installation?
    I unfortunately set them myself when removing leads from sensors to prove which sensor was used for PID data on an APP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Permanent codes can only be cleared once the fault code moves to intermittent/pending, which will only happen when the cause of the fault is repaired.

Tuner in Training
    There never was a fault as such, the condition that set the codes was me pulling leads off IAT sensor MCT sensor and CHT sensor with key on so I could determine what PIDs were using these sensors.

Advanced Tuner
    If the sensors are reconnected, then it should remove the premant status once the ECU reruns the test.
    Not really sure what or when triggers the tests for those, maybe a simple "drive cycle", but how that applies to an engine in a jetboat... I don't know.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input. I have run it many times trying to approximate drive cycles as per the Ford definition but not having any speed sensing in the system I am flying blind. I guess there is a procedure out there but only the Ford software engineers know.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi Guys

Wondering if someone knows how to reset "permanent trouble codes" with my installation?
    I unfortunately set them myself when removing leads from sensors to prove which sensor was used for PID data on an APP.
    make sure everything is reconected and reflash