Thread: L31 Vortec using Blue/Green 1 Meg DBC PCM

Advanced Tuner

L31 Vortec using Blue/Green 1 Meg DBC PCM

I looked around for a while trying to add a fuel composition sensor to my 0411 running my L31 and finally found a way. I have been using these for a while with the Mexican GMT800 L31 tune. Operating system is the same as most 2005 GM trucks, 12592618. Just have to run a DBC PCM and on a GMT400 based truck or van also need to convert the AC to analog cycling setting. Can run flex fuel by adding the sensor and adjusting the settings. Currently have the 383 in my 97 Express van setup with a 4L85E trans segment and Flex Fuel sensor. Just felt like passing on the Mexican GMT800 L31 tune. On my previously 0411 swapped van, all I did was unplug the PCM, swap the red plastic connector ends for green connector ends and plugged it in. Have to disable all the 02 sensor heater circuit codes since the L31 harness grounds the heaters externally, but otherwise my stock 02 sensors on my 97 van worked with the Blue/Green PCM. Also need to disable the oil pressure option in the system options since the older L31 does not use the oil pressure transducer. I added the pcm alternator control wiring using a diagram for a GMT400 8.1 truck. The tune attached is the unaltered L31/5spd GMT800 Mexican truck.

1MBL31.hpt
    Last edited by Fast4.7; 05-14-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Fast,

Does this 618 OS actually read the CAM OFFSET PID in VCM scanner? I've been trying to accomplish the same thing with my L29 and have tried 3 different OS between a P01 and P59 controllers and none of them are able to read in that PID. It doesn't seem to be quite as smooth after I copy over my tables. Am I overthinking that? Or if I set the distributor in spec and run without reading it be safe? I am guessing just the other OS don't have that code built into them.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    I looked around for a while trying to add a fuel composition sensor to my 0411 running my L31 and finally found a way. I have been using these for a while with the Mexican GMT800 L31 tune. Operating system is the same as most 2005 GM trucks, 12592618. Just have to run a DBC PCM and on a GMT400 based truck or van also need to convert the AC to analog cycling setting. Can run flex fuel by adding the sensor and adjusting the settings. Currently have the 383 in my 97 Express van setup with a 4L85E trans segment and Flex Fuel sensor. Just felt like passing on the Mexican GMT800 L31 tune. On my previously 0411 swapped van, all I did was unplug the PCM, swap the red plastic connector ends for green connector ends and plugged it in. Have to disable all the 02 sensor heater circuit codes since the L31 harness grounds the heaters externally, but otherwise my stock 02 sensors on my 97 van worked with the Blue/Green PCM. Also need to disable the oil pressure option in the system options since the older L31 does not use the oil pressure transducer. I added the pcm alternator control wiring using a diagram for a GMT400 8.1 truck. The tune attached is the unaltered L31/5spd GMT800 Mexican truck.

1MBL31.hpt
    Do you have the pin out or know where I could find the pin out to swap in a 0411 into a 97 3500 L31?

Senior Tuner
    Should be available here.
    https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lownslo93 View Post
    Fast,

Does this 618 OS actually read the CAM OFFSET PID in VCM scanner? I've been trying to accomplish the same thing with my L29 and have tried 3 different OS between a P01 and P59 controllers and none of them are able to read in that PID. It doesn't seem to be quite as smooth after I copy over my tables. Am I overthinking that? Or if I set the distributor in spec and run without reading it be safe? I am guessing just the other OS don't have that code built into them.
    If you have 24x CNP the cam sensor PID shows Zero all the time. If you have a 4x, it works. P01 and P59 are the same in that regard.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcarrol View Post
    Do you have the pin out or know where I could find the pin out to swap in a 0411 into a 97 3500 L31?
    Have you tried Lextech? He has the easiest to read chart for the swap. I use the diagrams on LT1Swap.com myself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    Have you tried Lextech? He has the easiest to read chart for the swap. I use the diagrams on LT1Swap.com myself.
    I haven't. Still trying to decide on if I want to do this or not. I have a 97 C3500 with the 5.7 and 5 speed. Have done the spider intake upgrade with spacer and installed a set of headers and new exhaust system. Looking to be able to tune it so I can take advantage of those upgrades. Will the 0411 swap be worth it? Trying to give it a little more power for pulling.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcarrol View Post
    I haven't. Still trying to decide on if I want to do this or not. I have a 97 C3500 with the 5.7 and 5 speed. Have done the spider intake upgrade with spacer and installed a set of headers and new exhaust system. Looking to be able to tune it so I can take advantage of those upgrades. Will the 0411 swap be worth it? Trying to give it a little more power for pulling.
    Personally I would go with an 0411 or P59. Factory black box leaves alot on the table in terms of driveability and tuneability.