Thread: 5.3 LH6 4l60 cam swap tuning help

Potential Tuner

5.3 LH6 4l60 cam swap tuning help

Hey guys new to tuning and the forum. I recently did a cam swap on a 2007 envoy with the 5.3, cam is a summit stage 2 truck cam https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8701 . When I swapped the cam I deleted the AFM and installed new ls7 lifters. Has stock everything else. I got it running pretty well but It has its quirks, stalls sometimes when shifting into gear, surging on startup and sometimes lurches forward when coming to a stop. Also my fuel economy is in the gutter. Tuned for 87 fuel.

I am learning and am hoping for some guidance. Im not looking for a speed monster I more so picked the cam because i hoped to increase the low end torque for towing a small trailer.

I have a wideband fitted but for the life of me I cannot get it to read out on my computer and show in the vcm scanner.

Here is the tune file Im working on:
    2007envoy.hpt

Any help would be appreciated I will try to get a log file uploaded but I havent done one recently so the ones I have probably wont help.
    Thanks guys

Senior Tuner
    You need to increase the minimum airflow table by at least 25% or so to start with. You might even have to add more than that.
    You may also have increase the startup airflow table just a bit if it doesn't want to startup when it's warm.

I'd recommend adding a least a couple degrees of timing at WOT, and remove any delays in the PE Mode. Change the PE EQ target to something more appropriate...around 1.18 or so is a good start.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the input. I havent had any hard starting issues warm so far. When you say add timing do you mean the whole table or specific areas on the table? And when you say remove the delays for PE it is set at 5k rpm what would be a good number for that? Thanks again.

GM tried really hard to make the 5.3 feel like a turd compared to the 6.0 TBSS, it might not be a bad idea to copy over the TBSS spark tables and see what happens. I think you will be pleased. Even the TBSS tables are rather conservative. There's a lot to be gained with spark on the 5.3s.

Potential Tuner
    So I updated the tune and modified the values with your advice. I think using the TBSS spark tables and some other parameters made a big difference because it drives significantly better. Ill have to drive it more to get a feel for how its performing I only drove it a few miles tonight.

Heres the updated tune and log file:
    2007envoy2.hpt
    newcal.hpl

Let me know what you guys think and thank you

Some of the channels I wish I'd added before I ever made my first log:

Injector PW Avg B1/B2
    Injector Tip Temp
    Intake Valve Temp
    O2 Voltage B1S1/B2S1 (SAE)
    DFCO-PE/COT-Coolant-IAT-Launch Advance (basically, everything with 'Advance' in the name)
    Throttle Position (delete the 'SAE' one)
    Throttle Desired Position
    Throttle Commanded Positon
    Accelerator Pedal Position
    Accelerator Pedal Effective Position
    ETC Torque Management Type
    Spark Torque Management Type
    TCS Desired Engine Torque
    Desired Trans Torque
    Fuel Trim Cell
    Commanded EVAP Purge
    EVAP Status
    EVAP Vent
    Mass Airflow Sensor State (OK/Fail)
    Power Enrichment (on/off)
    Fuel System #1 Status (SAE)
    EQ Ratio Commanded instead of AFR Commanded (just delete the AFR altogether, it will only confuse you later)
    Trans Current Gear
    Trans Shift Solenoid Pressure Mode
    Trans Fluid Temp
    Time of Latest (gear) Shift
    AC Pressure
    AC Clutch Engaged

Some of those you may never use but if a channel isn't logged the data is gone forever. Better to have it and not need it.