Thread: Dreaded Controller Init: Failed on 2006 NGC3 CAN

Potential Tuner

Dreaded Controller Init: Failed on 2006 NGC3 CAN

I have been trying to write to my NGC3 CAN from a 2006 Charger R/T in a stand alone setup. I get the Controller Init:Failed when I try to Write Calibration, but it reads fine and shows that it's connected over CAN.
    I've seen other posts for this issue, but have not seen a solution posted. I have opened a ticket (11033) but so far no luck.

I've flashed to this NGC in the past (11/2020) to Remove SKIM, Deleted the rear O2s, Automatic to Manual trans without issues. I've tried 2 different laptops, 2 different USB cables, SW 4.8.7 and 4.3.6 and Beta 4.9.983

I've pinned out the wiring from the OBD2 socket all the way to the ECU, and there is no issues there.
    I'm at a loss so any support would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    So the problem was in my wiring, I built a bench harness and my problem went away. So I dove deeper into my wiring and found that I was getting a voltage on pin 30 of C1 (NGC3 Dodge) which is the start signal. Some Mopar ignition switches cut out the ON position when the START position is active, so I had a latching relay that made the NGC think that the start was always active when the key was in the ON position.

Potential Tuner
    Did this cause DTCs? I think I may have the same problem. When I turn the key to run the MPVI2 lights flash non stop and I can't connect to my 2006 dodge charger. This causes multiple active and stored DTCs which I have to read from a different scanner - when I say multiple, it looks like every DTC is thrown.

Potential Tuner
    I did not have any issue with reading, but I was not able to write my tune to the NGC.

Potential Tuner
    how did you build the counter player?

Potential Tuner
    I just want to thank you
    You helped me a lot
    I had same problem
    I just removed pin number 30 from black connector
    now I can write to the pcm

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mprmn3 View Post
    So the problem was in my wiring, I built a bench harness and my problem went away. So I dove deeper into my wiring and found that I was getting a voltage on pin 30 of C1 (NGC3 Dodge) which is the start signal. Some Mopar ignition switches cut out the ON position when the START position is active, so I had a latching relay that made the NGC think that the start was always active when the key was in the ON position.
    Turns out pin 30 was in the wrong place. I was able to fix it.