Thread: Engine swap problem with 4.8

Tuner in Training

Unhappy Engine swap problem with 4.8

we have a cammed 4.8 that was in a 2000 chevrolet silverado 2wd with a tbss intake and long tube headers a drive by cable pcm that was red/blue plug. we pulled motor from the 2000 and installed it into a 2005 gmc sierra 4wd and had to use stock manifolds and stock 5.3 intake with drive by cable. Tuner instructed that we transfer all tune info from 2000 tune file to the stock 2005 ecm and relicense computer to be able to run motor. Problem we are running into now is that when engine is off we can watch throttle position go from base to 100 percent. Once engine is cranked it runs fine like in the 2000 truck but throttle signal goes away and has zero throttle. can anyone please help on whats going on read a few forums that said change etc in setting all to 0 did that and problem didnt change. Also one problem is truck was cranked on stock tune with ground in wrong place the motor started and stalled and started showing the little lock icon with vehiclke behind it ground was properly moved to block and now it starts and runs just no throttle signalafter tune and also vats turned off . Any help would be apreciated. Tune file should be attatched.
    Attached Files Attached Files

So you converted the 2005 computer to run with a cable throttle body instead of the drive by wire?

Did that computer support the cable swap with the TPS and IAC drivers on the circuit board?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    No the new truck had drive by wire so we kept the drive by wire but the tune we transfered file from was a drive by cable we took tables from drive by cable computer put them on the 05 tune and licensed the 05 comp

Well that is partly where you went wrong. The file you posted says that the computer doesn't have drive by wire anymore. The system options needs to have "1" in the ETC column for the GMT-800 platform.

You can't copy everything over because you are going from a P01 to a P59 computer and from a drive by cable to drive by wire. This is never a copy everything situation because of the major difference in throttle control.

Also you applied the speed density OS to this tune file but never failed the MAF yet.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Well where can I start to make this right so the truck will run and we can get a log for our tuner

Change the system options back to it have a drive by wire system, see if that does anything.

If that does nothing, then flash the computer back to the stock 5.3 tune file. Then copy over stuff that you need for the 4.8 engine.

Like the MAF/VE, timing tables, cylinder volume and other stuff you think you need.

Senior Tuner
    Going by what you said your tooner said to do I would find another tuner fast.

Tuner in Training
    Nothing was changed in operating system there isn't even anything to choose in the operating system tab

If the OS is blank, it was changed.

You can see that in the calibration details page, it says you applied the speed density enhanced OS to this file.

Tuner in Training
    If that's the case how do I change that back

Take the stock file and do a write entire. Hopefully you saved the stock file from this 2005 computer.

Tuner in Training
    Yes I have the stock file saved I always save the stock file to put it back on I'm sure imma have to re license the stock tune right

You already paid the 2 credits for that computer, it costs nothing to write the file you already have the license for back to it.

Tuner in Training
    Ok going write stock tune back to truck now will post my results then I'll work on Mac and ve from there like suggested to get truck to idle

Tuner in Training
    Ok stock tune on truck cranks idles poorly probably because of stage 4 Brian toilet cam that's in it but has throttle response now but truck dies out when put in gear and have to two foot it but I'm sure that's just tuning issue