Thread: please look over my base tune for turbo lm7

Tuner in Training

please look over my base tune for turbo lm7

alright guys, i am pretty new to tuning last engine i was running some deccaped injectors i just never could get to act right. And my line to my wastegate got burnt by manifold so i spiked boost to 18lbs went lean and lost a head gasket and spun #7 rod bearing. The new engine well 187k lm7 im installing now has a btr stage 3 v2 truck cam. 218/224 110 lsa 1degree of overlap. ls6 springs, ls7 lifters 7.4 btr pushrods. Fuel consist of bosch 044 inline fuel pump with factory return setup, 72lb fic delphi injectors. Running 3 bar map from efi source with iat sensor in intake where evap use to be. Transmission is a stock rebuilt 4l60e for now, i have a 4l80e with hd2 and circle d 3200 stall with tru cool 40k coooler going in after i get this up and running. The truck is a 99 z71 ecsb with the 246 auto track case. Turbo is a vs cast 78\75 with 2.5 inch crossover to a fahler speed stainless log with a vs 44mm wastegate with 10# spring. Vs racing 3 inch intercooler. 3.73 gears. Hopefully that is enough information on my setup, i have watched countless hours of tuning tutorials and read hours upon hours of tuning information and this is what i have come up to as of now. Feel free to criticize anything in the tune. i just need something safe to get me up and running to be able to tune the ve. My timing table is honestly my biggest concern. I am limited to 91 octane pump gas with no meth injection at the moment. also running an 0411 computer. Sorry if my post seems to just ramble on.

I didn't open the injector data on this computer but are you running a much higher fuel pressure than 3 bar?

Rough math puts those at just over 83lb/hr if running 4 bar pressure.

Otherwise the timing looks safe and commanded fueling is fine. It's just a matter of making the commanded match the actual fueling using your wideband and adjusting the VE table.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'm running 4 bar on the fuel system, on the injector data sheet in the first page it gave a conversion to multiply by. I thought the ifr seemed awful high. I will have to double check it when I get home.

Tuner in Training
    i got the truck up and running but i think my injector data is wrong i have it attached in the first post. Here is my current tune and a drive log, my ve table looks way off to me in order to try and get the commanded afr. i drove the truck 70 miles round trip last Monday and seemed to do decent but feels like a lack of power and afr is still way off in areas. My efi source map sensor shat on me yesterday so waiting for a new one in the mail at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated. Also showing a little knock but is not audible, mainly on heavy tip in, false knock im assuming ? I ordered another efi source map and also a factory acdelco 2bar map sensor that i may just end up switching to for higher resolution.

The data looks right, they have it set for 4 bar pressure for 83-84lb/hr for the flow rate is correct and the other data looks correct per the spreadsheet.

Remove the 1 bar map channel so it doesn't skew the data. When you gather your wideband error data and paste it into the VE table do paste special by half %. Then hand smooth the table and click the smooth function once or twice.

For the time being it may just be easier to make both the PE and BE the same value. That way when it drops down into enrichment it's only going after one value and you can tune the VE table quicker. Once that is down you should be able to go back to the way it was before and it'll be pretty close if the rest of the fueling is correct.

You have burst knock set backwards. Change it to 7.900 if you want it disabled.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    The datalog doesn't do us much good. There's no fuel data on it. Are you reading your wideband through the EGR wires?

I would make all of the changes that 5FDP suggested.
    Go ahead and copy your high octane spark table to the low octane. You can even add a few degrees timing at lower rpm...in the 1500-3500 range. That'll help light off the turbo quicker.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I'll do the changes you suggest. Should I target the fastest value for both pe and be ?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The datalog doesn't do us much good. There's no fuel data on it. Are you reading your wideband through the EGR wires?

I would make all of the changes that 5FDP suggested.
    Go ahead and copy your high octane spark table to the low octane. You can even add a few degrees timing at lower rpm...in the 1500-3500 range. That'll help light off the turbo quicker.
    Yes I'm using the egr for wideband and change timing tables. What pid should I add for fuel ?

Pick an air fuel ratio your comfortable with. Something like 11.0 should be nice and safe while you get the VE dialed in. After that you can lean it out a touch if 11.3-11.5 is better.

Tuner in Training

most recent tune and log

here is the most recent tune and log. ve table is looking better and starting to shape up pretty well. But something is still pulling timing ? no audible knock. i tried setting burst knock to 7.9 as suggest but no change ? also i have a #10 spring and only pushing a max of 5psi, truck feels like a turd.

Senior Tuner
    It has knock retard every time you load the engine. We can only see the commanded AFR and the EGR voltage, so we don't know what the actual AF ratio is at WOT.
    What are you seeing for WOT A/F ratio at 4-5 psi boost?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It has knock retard every time you load the engine. We can only see the commanded AFR and the EGR voltage, so we don't know what the actual AF ratio is at WOT.
    What are you seeing for WOT A/F ratio at 4-5 psi boost?
    im sorry i thought you could see the chart in the log for the wb02 reading, the fueling is

11.41 @ 4
    11.60 @ 4.5
    10.54 @ 5

Tuner in Training
    found my boost problem, big exhaust leak where crossover bolts to driver side manifold. Will fix when engine cools off