Thread: First time diesel tuner LB7

Potential Tuner

Question First time diesel tuner LB7

Hi yall i am getting started with learning how to tune diesels, I was wanting to build a Street or race tune, preferably without spending a bunch of money paying someone to do it. Truck is a bone stock LB7 just looking for something a little more fun. I have tunes gas trucks before for cams, just new to the diesel scene.

Do does anyone have some pointers about where to start?
    Aswell i have seen some people having a multiple tune switch on the LB7's and wanted to know how they did it?

Follow the sticky for the 20/20 tune and go from there. Pretty simple really and well explained from some veterans on this forum. HPT does not support a DSP5 switch. Only way to really go is a tune loader, i think the CTS can do this, that can store multiple tunes but does not SOTF. You have to load into ECM each time from my understanding.
    Just remember, running fat runs hot on a diesel. Watch your EGTs and of course tranny limp. My old LB7 would light the tires easily without any of that torque management and a bit more fueling/boost!

Not a ton of support on this forum but there are a few generous guys that will chime in from time to time!
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Quote Originally Posted by Stroked06Goat View Post
    Follow the sticky for the 20/20 tune and go from there. Pretty simple really and well explained from some veterans on this forum. HPT does not support a DSP5 switch. Only way to really go is a tune loader, i think the CTS can do this, that can store multiple tunes but does not SOTF. You have to load into ECM each time from my understanding.
    Just remember, running fat runs hot on a diesel. Watch your EGTs and of course tranny limp. My old LB7 would light the tires easily without any of that torque management and a bit more fueling/boost!

Not a ton of support on this forum but there are a few generous guys that will chime in from time to time!

What is this 20/20 sticky you refer to ?

Sorry I mis spoke. The timing calculator is in the sticky. Roger Ramjet's tutorial you can find in the forum search. Gives you basically a play by play to follow for a good start.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned