Thread: Thoughts on this Blackbear Performance Tune - 2016 Sierra 6.2/8l90

Potential Tuner

Thoughts on this Blackbear Performance Tune - 2016 Sierra 6.2/8l90

Hey everyone, I've got a 2016 GMC Sierra with the L86 E92/8l90 T87 combo. The truck was previously tuned by Blackbear as I'd used an Autocal (EFI Live) on my previous trucks and been happy with it. I bought the truck in December of 2018 with 43k miles, and I had it tuned by the end of January 2019. I added E85 in November 2019 which they were able to correct for. Last July, I added a Circle D triple disc converter and have had nothing but problems since. That's also when their customer service took a massive dump and it would take nearly 2 months between communications. After I finally replaced the transmission this past January and BBP saying they could not make the proper changes in the tune (after saying they could absolutely tune for the converter), I decided to make the switch to HP Tuners. So far, I've only made adjustments to the transmission.

I was able to read the BBP tune into HP format, and in so doing I've been comparing it to a few other Gen 5 files I've found on here and a few other places. From the bit of differences I've seen, it looks like this tune may be way off. I'll attach the file for you to peruse. Based on the wild values on some tables (Engine>Spark>Advance>Base>High Octane for example), would I be better off starting with the factory tune as my basis? Obviously, I'll turn off DOD and turn on E85 as the "factory" tune to start from. I've got a Volant CAI, the Circle D 2500-2700 converter, and will be installing a set of Kooks headers/catted y-pipe and AEM wideband as soon as UPS finds the lost box from two weeks ago. Attached is my factory tune and the BBP adjusted tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DenaliStone; 05-21-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali | 6.2 | 8L90 | 4WD | Volant CAI | Kooks Headers | Magnaflow Muffler | E85 | Circle D Converter

Senior Tuner
    Overall, it's not bad. There are a couple of issues though. For some reason, they removed ignition timing from the Flex Fuel Spark table. I would at least put it back to stock, if not add another degree of timing to it.

As far as the torque converter settings, I would recommend a more aggressive apply ramp and offset then the stock values that you are currently running.

They didn't change the commanded fueling in PE to anything different with E85 either. I usually run in AFR terms 12.5 to 12.7 on pump gas and 12.9-13.0 on E85.

It's not a must do thing but I don't need as much commanded fueling on E85.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Ditto the above comments. A lot of the flex fuel stuff is way off. The timing table looks awful. Makes me think something went wrong from EFI to HP Tuners.

On the trans side, I'd just start over and put the shift timing back to stock. I've gone through dozens of iterations with my 8L90 and I find that stock actually works really well once airflow is dialed in. TCC lockup schedule looks good though, partial and wide open.

Interesting approach to the Driver Demand table too. Dont know if it's good or bad, just interesting.