Thread: 2014 Sierra with L83 is almost undrivable. First gen5 tune, why negative timing?

Tuner in Training

2014 Sierra with L83 is almost undrivable. First gen5 tune, why negative timing?

SO i just bought a 14 Sierra Z71 and threw a tune on that only removed AFM and changed PE, changed plugs/wires with OEM as it has 173k on it. They did lifters and 6 speed under warranty before i bought it. This thing runs like shit in the afternoon, felt like it was choking so I put a CAI on it, and it made it worse. If I stomp it, it goes but if I drive normal it lugs around, still has a few misfires on logs (Ive seen 6) and while scanning I can see it is putting the spark advance to -10 when it acts stupid, drops the charging to 12.2v, and locks the converter. It even sounds like it is missing or timing is way off from the intake noise. There isnt any knock retard so why in the world would it do this? My old Lq4 would purr along and this thing is supposed to be better/stronger/more efficient but it is none of those things. This is worst in the afternoon when its 80+ outside and AC wide open. In the morning it isnt as bad when its cooler. I can provide logs if needed, I had really hoped the 173k mile plugs were the issue, and I havent even made a payment on it lol.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HaCKoWeLL; 05-20-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Log File

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    welcome to the world of Gen v

you can contact me if you need support

info below
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    2014 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3 Hackowell Stock no CCM Speedo adjusted less PE.hpt2014 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3 Hackowell Stock no CCM.hpt here is the stock and the DoD removed, speedo cal for 35s, PE mild adjust if it helps. This truck drove like this stock , I just thought it was DoD causing it,

You have something way wrong going on

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    You have something way wrong going on
    Well I only turned off DoD, adjusted speedo with the wizard, and Adjusted PE to come on earlier because it seemed like it was running lean. The original plugs were in it, I put in new OEM Iridiums, and Hinson racing 8.5mm wires which helped misfires but I still get a few in a 15 min drive, 5-6ish. How could I have messed it up so bad only changing those 3 spots? Even with stock file it isnt better, but it was less noticeable before the CAI due to baffling. I have only had the truck 2 weeks, super clean but high miles, I have the service records as I work next to the dealership. They put in a warranty trans, converter and did the lifters, battery, air pump, and radio/hmi, rear end seals, brakes. I cleaned the throttle body, and put in some injector cleaner because thats the only thing besides plugs/wires on the service records the previous (1) owner didnt do. I didnt want to (tune) the issues out of it, well I dont even know how yet as 5th gen is new to me but unlocking the converter in scanner mode helps alot with the lugging/negative timing. I just cant see why it would use that timing map from the factory unless it had to do with AFM which I thought i disabled. I did wire the valve on the muffler to keep the exhaust open as I thought maybe that flap was choking it out. The only thing I can think of is carbon on the valves and its evaporating fuel when hot outside but I would think that is part of changing the lifters, I can pull the intake and find out..but it runs like a scalded dog when u lay into it 3/4-full throttle which tells me the engine itself isnt hurt, no noises, no smoke, no blowby

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    agree with Ben here, 99% of gen V's with basic bolt on will not cause what you have. i assumed negative timing that you maybe changed your cam/heads
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    If you compare your data to your tune it's doing exactly as it's told. It's seeing knock throughout so it's in the low octane table. All the points your seeing negative timing are low rpm (2000 or less) with high cylinder air (.65 or more) adding in your 120+ iats and the timing modifiers it's only going to get worse.

Tuner in Training
    I cant believe thats the factory tune. Maybe the guy before had a tune on it but they didnt get rid of DoD. I just find it crazy that GM would set them up that way. The dealership has thrown 35" tires on it so corrected that, added some PE earlier, and turned off AFM/DoD in one spot. The truck ran like this when I got it, but had oem plugs in it so i figured that was the issue. I put the new plugs and wires in and saw the misfires drop but adding the CAI made it worse, maybe just audibly as it sounds really weird when it goes into negative timing. So this is just the way these gen 5's run from the factory and it needs to be tuned out in other areas? Im just finishing the free tank of gas it had in it, I assume 87 and added 25$ worth of premium today. Havent really drove it since, but man i hope it makes a difference. I did put some Lucas injector clean in it when i cleaned the throttle body, and I did wire the exhaust flap open, but thats all I have done to it, and nothing made a difference really. I noticed the exhaust pipe tip was MUCH hotter than my 03 Denalis, as in water sizzled off of it after a few minutes so I thought the flap was staying shut. I realize my Lq4 has exhaust but man I didnt think the oem setup was so restrictive that it made all that heat. Thanks for the info, should i just go ahead and change the spark maps? I compared mine to a couple tunes on here, one was blackbear and it was a few degrees higher across the board so I just assumed this was a stock file. There didnt seem to be many other changes either. I was thinking virtual torque and driver demand was limiting the power causing the negative timing issue.

Tuner in Training
    The 2nd file on post 3 is the stock (well what i had on it when i got it), and the other is the 3 changes i made. Should i find a stock file from somewhere and try flashing that to start from scratch?

Tuner in Training
    Here's a 100% Stock 14 file, And a Edge handheld 93 file. Compare as you wish. Don't just copy paste it over.
    What cold air intake did you install? Whats your location?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Augusta GA, the devils steamy hot armpit. The log i posted is afternoon at 5pm in traffic when going home from work 6 miles away. In the morning when cooler it isnt as bad. Its a Ebay special but I did install the heatshield and seal it off.

Tuner in Training
    2014 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3 Hackowell lots of changes.hpt This is what I came up with to help with it and keep the converter unlocked, going to try it tomorrow

Tuner in Training
    Under TORQUE CONVERTER --> GENERAL -- > TCC Adapt my settings for Trans Temp min/max are 30C / 100C yours are 40C/120C. You will have to change to metric settings for this or convert to deg F but we changed to metric in Canada 30 years ago so I can't think in imperial anymore. But you should try that as it came with a stock 6.2 Escalade tune for 2016. I also threw away the crap GM tranny fluid and run Amsoil Synthetic Dexron VI equivalent and no issues from -35C to +37C temps here.

Quote Originally Posted by HaCKoWeLL View Post
    Augusta GA, the devils steamy hot armpit. The log i posted is afternoon at 5pm in traffic when going home from work 6 miles away. In the morning when cooler it isnt as bad. Its a Ebay special but I did install the heatshield and seal it off.
    Just as a thought since you replace the intake log your IAT see you average temp then look under spark>advance> look at modifiers there’s one for IAT I had to add in timing pulling -10 at my average intake temp if idled at a red light or warm start I have an aftermarket cam I zero’d egr/vcp/pda/bark-humidity tables/temp multi adjusted to keep timing positive. VT is important to always important I didn’t even consider the modifiers unitil someone mentioned it thought I would pass it along I’m in Texas climates on par with GA.

Never really noticed notable changes but for what it’s worth your throttle area is 3,690.0 if you have a 5.3 L83 double check connection on intake tube (couplers/pcv/maf) Gen v’s are super sensitive unmetered air and this off topic o2 reversions small exhaust leaks they run like total shit.
    Last edited by A_Texas90; 08-02-2021 at 06:37 AM.

Tuner in Training
    What octane fuel?

Advanced Tuner
    These GenVs can get up there butt bit with the negative timing. Check for a vacuum leak first though or you'll be chasing your tail around.