Thread: Lsx 04gto going in to limp mod

Potential Tuner

Lsx 04gto going in to limp mod

I have a 04 gto have the stock ecu. Runs great goes great untill I hit around 6000 rpm then goes in to limp mod. Runner says everything in the tune is turned of that needs to be. It's a lsx 427 procharged. At a loss. We think there is something in the ECU that we can't access through the HP runner but not sure. Anyone had this problem?
    Last edited by Spartan892; 05-21-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan892 View Post
    I have a 04 gto have the stock ecu. Runs great goes great untill I hit around 6000 rpm then goes in to limp mod. Runner says everything in the tune is turned of that needs to be. It's a lsx 427 procharged. At a loss. We think there is something in the ECU that we can't access through the HP runner but not sure. Anyone had this problem?
    If it's going into reduced engine power mode, it will store a DTC that will let you know what the issue is. You'll just have to scan it and see. It's possible that it's maxing the MAF and requires scaling, but can't say for sure without you scanning it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    If it's going into reduced engine power mode, it will store a DTC that will let you know what the issue is. You'll just have to scan it and see. It's possible that it's maxing the MAF and requires scaling, but can't say for sure without you scanning it.
    04 GTO is cable throttle so no REP.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    04 GTO is cable throttle so no REP.
    Aha. Good catch. Possibly a fuel delivery issue. I've also seen a couple that just shut down because of a faulty crank sensor or crank reluctor issue.

Potential Tuner
    It has no code when it does it. We are thinking it has something to do with the throttle control module. The throttle is connected directly to pedal.any thought on this? Only does it at hard acceleration to about 6000rpms.

Throttle control module??? What?? It’s cable and iac driven lol!!

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan892 View Post
    It has no code when it does it. We are thinking it has something to do with the throttle control module. The throttle is connected directly to pedal.any thought on this? Only does it at hard acceleration to about 6000rpms.
    Are all the codes still enabled?

I've had a situation on one of my vehicles where I tried turning off a code to see if it would keep the car from going into limp mode. As it turned out, it still went into limp mode, and never showed a code.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MeentSS02 View Post
    Are all the codes still enabled?

I've had a situation on one of my vehicles where I tried turning off a code to see if it would keep the car from going into limp mode. As it turned out, it still went into limp mode, and never showed a code.
    That would only pertain to vehicles that have DBW throttle control. As 2xLS1 pointed out, this is a 2004 GTO, so it is Drive By Cable. There isn't a limp mode on this application. It'll either be a fuel delivery issue, or more likely a problem with the crank sensor/reluctor.