Thread: 6.0l stalls when it hits rev limiter!

Potential Tuner

6.0l stalls when it hits rev limiter!

Im tuning a 99 Jeep XJ with a 6.0l LS engine swap, 36lb injectors, 90mm DBC throttle, mild cam and th400 tranny. I calibrated MAP and adjusted all thats needed to get it idiling and running good. No MAF. I set the rev limiter at 7000rmp and Resum at 6995rpm. Part throttle and before hitting rev limiter all runs great. No more than 3% error on MAP table, good timing, no knock. As soon as I hit rev limiter, engine dies. Fuel doesnt resum at the 6995rpm set point. I checked the tune, but cant find anything missing. I ran the scanner, but it all looks good until it hits 7000rpm. Im using HP Tuners. I have tuned multiple vehicles similar to this one with no issues like this. ECU is a Stock 411 Gm. Any ideas what might cause the engine to die? Can the ECU be bad amd cause this issue and still run great everywhere else?

Don't spin it to 7,000rpm?

Must have some decent camshaft to spin that high.

You should post the tune and logs if you want more help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Don't spin it to 7,000rpm?

Must have some decent camshaft to spin that high.

You should post the tune and logs if you want more help.
    When 7000rpm is reached at WOT fuel gets cut off and engine dies, its like I switched the engine off (key off). I have to stop the vehicle and restart it, engine comes back on with no issues and idles great.

I actually tried dropping Resume RPM to 6950, 6900 and 6800 but it makes no difference. As soon as it hits 7000rpm, engine dies.

As long as I dont hit that 7000rpm, it runs great. Idles great and has a lot of power. I know someone people might say to just stay off the limiter, but while drag racing in sand and trying to shift that th400, it bounces of limiter once or twice before it shifts. At least thats what the other vehicles I have tuned do. This is the first time I have this issue and if it hits the rev limiter it should cut the fuel and resume at the set rpm.

I will try to get a Log and Tune today after work.

Does it do the same if the limiter is lower, or only if it's at 7K?

If it's strictly related to that specific RPM and not the limiter itself, I'd be replacing the crank position sensor.

Potential Tuner
    I set the rpm limiter to 4000rpm just to see what would happen. Same thing, engine stalls. Its obviously cutting fuel, but it wont resum at the rpm set point. I have never had this issue before. I just want to make sure there isint some settings causing this before I swap and license another ecu.

Advanced Tuner
    Crank sensor blindsquirrel called it start there before licensing another pcm
    97 ext cab short bed silverado 5.7 411 swap, edelbrock 29135 intake, lightly ported 906 heads milled .035 thou. factory press in rocker studs & rockers, comp 787 retainers & stock locks, ls6 springs. Comp cams 08-503-8 T56 swap

86 SWB crate vortec 5.7/th350 The wife's truck

I had this issue once and I had to adjust a setting having to do with the throttle it was located in the engine diag tab. I?ll take a look and get back. Can?t remember at the moment.

Potential Tuner
    Digging up an old thread here, but has anyone had a break through on this issue. Im experiencing this exact problem with a 6.0l swapped e36 bmw. 6.0l with a cd009 6speed

Quote Originally Posted by Charliejr_ssp View Post
    Digging up an old thread here, but has anyone had a break through on this issue. Im experiencing this exact problem with a 6.0l swapped e36 bmw. 6.0l with a cd009 6speed
    Well, what have you tried so far? Is asking 'did anybody figure this out yet' your first step in the diag, or your last step after checking everything?

Seen this one time before, was crankshaft sensor issue

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Figured I would bring this back from the dead as I have a car that is doing the exact same thing. I have tuned a lot of these and never ran across this..

You can see in the log that everything works properly until it touches rev limiter. Fuel is disabled like its supposed to. But as you can see in log the ecu never resumes the fueling. I have tried changing everything rev limiter related. It's as if the file is glitched?

We tried new crank sensor and tps sensor.

Take a gander and see what you think, I am done with it for now. If I had the original file I'd start over with that but this car came to me tuned already.

Here's a link to the folder with tunes and logs I have tried. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sY?usp=sharing

Most people here refuse to click random google drive links. You need to upload the tune to this site.