Thread: After flashing with HPtuners - locking GM out so we can't update to latest GM version

Potential Tuner

After flashing with HPtuners - locking GM out so we can't update to latest GM version

Hello all,

we had trouble with three customer cars lately, a Corvette 2018, Corvette 2019, Camaro 2018

we are using the latest Hptuners release (not beta) and have tuned many Corvettes successfully over the years. Lately when we have to go to a GM shop to update a tuned car to the latest GM release (fix problem with GM bug with the MAF most times) they can't get in and do anything, they are locked out. They say that maybe GM are changing things trying to lock down aftermarket tuning of their cars. The guy running the GM shop is a very good friend of mine since 30 years so I don't think he's giving me some GM bullshit and I could see for myself when he tried to access the PCM to update it with GM MDI.

Is there any known issues with the latest Hptuners release that can cause this or has GM really done something to lock out aftermarket tuned cars? I'm hoping it's something with HPtuners not cleaning up after itself after the flash that locks the GM MDI / MDI II out......

The Camaro has the same issue but worse, GM updates is not working, after the third flash with HPTuners the display unit is dead (we are only flashing the PCM nothing else) and it will not come alive again. We tried all the forum tricks - fuse removal, disconnect battery 1 hour and so on - still the display is dead. Gm can't access the PCM or the display unit with MDI but we can still flash the PCM with Hptuners and the car runs good.

Anyone here run in to something like this ?
    Last edited by akracing; 05-22-2021 at 04:14 AM.

My first thought would be to return to stock with HPTuners and try again. Otherwise the only option without having to purchase another PCM/ECM would be to perform SPS as a replace and program rather than reprogram. It is the first option when you open SPS.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    My first thought would be to return to stock with HPTuners and try again. Otherwise the only option without having to purchase another PCM/ECM would be to perform SPS as a replace and program rather than reprogram. It is the first option when you open SPS.
    That was my first thought as well and will try with the 2018 Corvette - I always save the stock tune as a backup so I will do a full write and go back to the GM shop and see if there is any difference. I have ordered a new PCM (empty) just to be safe.

It would be interesting to see if someone else had this problem. Maybe it's because the EU software in the corvette/camaro is different from the US version. I know it's a different software but can it cause this kind of problem with hptuners ?