Thread: 2004 Chevy 1500 Gen 3 low end throttle response

2004 Chevy 1500 Gen 3 low end throttle response

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's anyway to tune out the huge delay these trucks have on the low end throttle response. The engine revs quickly and responds to throttle fast when driving along however, the throttle repsonse from a stop when the pedal is floored is horrible. And ideas on the best way to address this issue?

Thanks

Post the current tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the current tune.
    Here is the current tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is it all stock?

More power would obviously help, so would gears or a stall converter.

You've mostly done what you can already with that tune.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Is it all stock?

More power would obviously help, so would gears or a stall converter.

You've mostly done what you can already with that tune.
    Yes it is mostly stock except for a CAI and catback exhaust system. Stall and cam are the next set of mods.
    It must be something electronically controlling the throttle plate from opening immediately once the pedal is floored while at a stop and trying to move off fast. I monitored the TPS% on the scanner while having the pedal floored with foot on the brake and TPS% would not go above 32%.

And are you monitoring all the relevant channels for TM type/source, pedal, throttle desired, throttle actual...? The logfile showing the condition with those channels is where?

Tuner
    Try going under fuel/cutoff defco/, and disable ETC control method.

May want to check if this particular vehicle has a bulletin. It is regarding a stoplight/stopsign second gear start. Software issue. Can only be addressed with a GM update.
    https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    And are you monitoring all the relevant channels for TM type/source, pedal, throttle desired, throttle actual...? The logfile showing the condition with those channels is where?
    I went back and double checked and I was monitoring TM advance, Accel Pedal % was in the PIDS list and no TM advance was being pulled, Accel Pedal was at 21%, TPS% was 36, delivered trans torque was at 234, 25 degrees of timing and RPMS were 1,600 and it was just sitting there with no sound of the engine wanting to increase in power.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbrowning View Post
    Try going under fuel/cutoff defco/, and disable ETC control method.
    Hello and thanks for the info and help. I will visit that area and try that and see. Any harm leaving that disabled?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    May want to check if this particular vehicle has a bulletin. It is regarding a stoplight/stopsign second gear start. Software issue. Can only be addressed with a GM update.
    https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/
    Hi and thanks for your input and may look it up and see as this vehicle hasn't seen the dealer in 15 years and I am the only owner since new.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by John5 View Post
    Hello and thanks for the info and help. I will visit that area and try that and see. Any harm leaving that disabled?
    You will not have a rpm rev limiter. That has nothing to so with throttle response. For the brake stalling, see if brake torque management is enabled in the system options. If it is, disable it. I can't look at your file.

Senior Tuner
    Hi and thanks for your input and may look it up and see as this vehicle hasn't seen the dealer in 15 years and I am the only owner since new.
    Your issue has nothing to do with second gear start.

I went back and double checked and I was monitoring TM advance, Accel Pedal % was in the PIDS list and no TM advance was being pulled, Accel Pedal was at 21%, TPS% was 36, delivered trans torque was at 234, 25 degrees of timing and RPMS were 1,600 and it was just sitting there with no sound of the engine wanting to increase in power.
    So, not going to post the log?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    So, not going to post the log?
    Hey,

reason I didn't post the log was because it was a long one and I just went back to the area where I new I was logging that event. I repeated the brake stall again and the TPS % actually went up to 80-90 so it must be fine but truck just sat there groaning still with no sound in power.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You will not have a rpm rev limiter. That has nothing to so with throttle response. For the brake stalling, see if brake torque management is enabled in the system options. If it is, disable it. I can't look at your file.
    Thanks,

I went in and doubled checked that and that option I disabled a while back.

This was also disabled on another tune I was running and same thing with no change.

I know these trucks have this built into them and have also heard alot of the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra guys complaining about this so I guess there's nothing that can be done tuning wise. I won't be swapping any gears but I plan on getting a cam and a higher stall and if that doesn't improve it then so be it, I will crawl off the start line and have wings flying pass the finish..

Tuner
    No harm at all.