Thread: Knocking noise from driver side area - 2016 GT

Knocking noise from driver side area - 2016 GT

My car developed a knock at 38k miles. I suspected phasers but once the front cover was removed the problem became obvious with worn guides for the timing chain. Is there anything I could have done tuning wise to cause that problem? I don't run e85 much and my car sees less WOT than I would like.

how many miles? if its got some miles on it before you got it. the pervious owner may not serviced enough. That's usually what causes premature timing failure. also how many teeth were showing on the chain tensioner before you removed it?

It has 38k miles total. I bought it brand new and had the dealership install the 727 Roush kit at 2k miles. I am the only owner and I have changed the oil every 3-4k miles. I had billet oil pump gears installed a few years ago, is it possible something went wrong with that install to damage my timing system that took 1000's of miles to show up? I did run a ghost cam tune for like 3 days not too long ago, could a ghost cam tune ruin the guides? I wouldn't think so but it might be good to warn people if that's what did it.

I have my car back from Pinnacle Performace in Owasso, OK. Runs fine now, cost me $1600 this go... It needed guides as expected and with labor, parts, gaskets etc it was just shy of $1600 for the repair... I will not be running a ghost cam tune because i feel like that contributed to early failure. I would appreciate some input if I am wrong

Got my car all tricked out with 12.5:1 forged pistons, forged rods, forged 302 crank, all forged internals, billet oil pump, DSS driveshaft, DSS half shafts, blow fish ds loop, id1050x injectors, roush 727 kit have a printout of 657hp to wheels... thinking hard about selling it but i hate to take a beating almost $70k invested

Advanced Tuner
    I highly doubt 3 days of ghost cam hurt anything bud,I’ve been tuning this car myself for 3 years and have used it numerous times for extended periods of time with no issues. I know of many that daily on it and have for years. Now I have heard blurbs about the e85 braking down the plastic in the guides and marking them degrade but I have no physical evidence. I r used e85 for a few years as well. 112k miles and has seen 8k since about 30k miles.