Thread: Enable Closed Loop

Enable Closed Loop

Just an experiment, don't flame me, I know it's best to use a WB.

But... My WB just crapped out and it'll take some time to get a replacement. AND, since I do have a pair of NB sensors installed... I thought it would be fun in the meantime just to see what the autotune would come up with in closed loop.

But I can't seem to get it to run in CL. This is no surprise, since I struggled to get it out of CL in the first place. And I can't remember what I changed to do it. I've tried to enable LTFT and the only place I've found anything about the STFT is in open loop. Anyone care to clue me in here? THX

Currently the car does run well. Might be a tad rich but not blubbery, just very nicely responsive. Still needs work on initial start and a few seconds after start but otherwise seems really close.

Jim

P01 '0411 controller, '01/'02 Camaro 2bar SD tune
    Last edited by Jim Blackwood; 05-25-2021 at 07:26 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Use the compare file function with the stock file, it is likely the engine coolant temperature vs closed loop enable.

I don't have a stock '01 or '02 Camaro file to compare to. The ones in the HPT sample files all seem to be SD and OL. I do have a Silverado tune but it's tuned quite differently. (The ECM was out of an '01 Silverado)

Is this setting you refer to the: VCM Editor/Engine/Fuel/Oxygen Sensors/Closed Loop Enable/ECT vs IAT /[ECM] 12460 Closed Loop Enable Coolant Temp vs IAT?
    If so it shows the 1st 3 cells at 140 (-40, -22, -4) and the rest at 93. Do you see a problem with that? I don't see any other "engine coolant temperature vs closed loop enable" anywhere.

Jim

Advanced Tuner
    Engine > Fuel > Oxygen Sensors > Feedback.....

"Closed Loop Enable ECT vs IAT" - I would drop the temp requirements in this to below ambient temp if you want to force full time CL

Now.... If you WANT to have LTFT's, they are right below that on the same menu. There's a master enable/disable button, and then a lot of people will raise Min ECT there too when they shut it off.

Make sure your DFCO is off, and your PE is set not to come in (I'm assuming this is all part throttle cruising?)

Post your file if you're still having issues

OK, tried that and set the temps to zero. Included the scanner file and the tune below, maybe you can spot the issue.

Disregard the WB trace, it's all over the place, almost acts like it is in switching mode or something. Not really usable, but I was able to center the sweeps at something close to stoich (at idle) using RTT. Leaned it out about 2-4 steps so it was reasonably close. Extrapolated that to the surrounding map. If I had that for cruise I'd be happier but no copilot and it's raining so that isn't happening today. I got some specs on the WB to troubleshoot it but I suspect odds are it's hosed. Been recommended I migrate to the AEM X series. I'll have to save some money first as I've let that get out of hand.

In the meantime, I'd like to get closed loop operating and see what STFT and LTFT can do and I really appreciate whatever help you guys can give me.

Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bruh, you should probably be logging your o2 sensors and the other fuel trims if you want to see what they are doing.

If the o2 sensors are doing nothing and are flatlined at like 450mv, they aren't working. You need to log the sensors to see anything.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Good idea. I added the sensor channels and should be checking those tomorrow.

Did you see anything that would keep it from going into closed loop though?

Jim

So that was revealing. Looks like neither of the NB sensors are working, scan attached.

Not much point in pursuing this closed loop option with that being the case, especially since I wasn't getting anywhere with it anyway. Add the failed NB sensors and if I have to spend money it'll be on the AEM X series.

Anyway thanks for the help. I'm off to roll back to the pre-OL tune.

Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Check fuses and power at the connectors. 450mv is a circuit problem.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks. But my AEM X-series wideband will be here today and since I can't get the ECM to go into closed loop it seems rather pointless anyway. Looks like maybe I have just been yet one more victim of Innovate.

Jim

No, the narrowband sensors are what's flatlined at 450mV and not working. Nothing to do with the wideband issue.

Make sure to add the Bank 2 short/long fuel trim channels, they are missing. Also, using MAP kPa will be much more useful later than MAP voltage.

The most recent tune file you posted has a whole bunch of DTCs disabled for the upstream O2 sensors and fuel trims/system rich/lean, that should be fixed if you want to use those things. And a bunch of codes still enabled for the downstream O2s which I assume are not in use?

OK that could be the issue with the 450Mv thing then? Though really I do think the NB sensors are wired in as B1S1 and B2S1 and the others were never added because I don't have cats. I could revisit this whole idea later on and if I do I'll dig up this thread. But today I'm swapping out the MTX-AL for the AEM X series and will go back to wideband open loop tuning. It's close enough that one or two freeway runs should have me dialed in for economy cruise. On Tuesday I hit the road for the annual BritishV8 meet and won't be back until the next weekend. The focus on the tune won't be quite as intense after that so it may take me awhile to get back to it.

But I would still like to see what the NBs would do, and I also would like to learn why CL isn't engaging so probably I will get back to it. I just can't say when that will be.

Jim

The 450mv on the narrowbands is always wiring.