Thread: Large GoPro Video with GPS - RR does not extract telemetry

Potential Tuner

Large GoPro Video with GPS - RR does not extract telemetry

Is there a known limitation in the file size for Race Render to be able to extract GPS data from a gopro file? It detects the telemetry in files up to 4gb but when I enable 12gb chapters in GoPro, race render is not detecting the gps data for those files. Is there some other way to get race render to pull the data from a larger 12gb file? Or does anyone know is there another local utility I could use to do this to then add the data to race render?

Quote Originally Posted by KGW View Post
    Is there a known limitation in the file size for Race Render to be able to extract GPS data from a gopro file? It detects the telemetry in files up to 4gb but when I enable 12gb chapters in GoPro, race render is not detecting the gps data for those files. Is there some other way to get race render to pull the data from a larger 12gb file? Or does anyone know is there another local utility I could use to do this to then add the data to race render?
    You talking about the GoPro Labs firmware? Even GoPro says that their own software may not read the larger 12gb files, unfortunately. Not sure what GoPro's problem is and why they dont fix it.

GoPro software for Windows still wont read the newer camera's GPS data... lol. Hero 8 Black. Been our forever.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    You talking about the GoPro Labs firmware? Even GoPro says that their own software may not read the larger 12gb files, unfortunately. Not sure what GoPro's problem is and why they dont fix it.
    GoPro software for Windows still wont read the newer camera's GPS data... lol. Hero 8 Black. Been our forever.
    Yes I am using the Labs Firmware to enable 12gb chapters and to use GPS Time Synchronization for accurate time codes when editing multiple camera feeds. I am then able to upload footage to GoPro Cloud subscription, and then download the files from the GoPro cloud into the GoPro Quick app on iOS. I then use that app on iOS to add "Stickers" - the GoPro overlays for a route map and speed/direction data. They look nice and are easy to slap on there. The 12gb files do work in GoPro Quick on iOS.

I have spent some time re-creating similar overlays in RaceRender and wanted to use those now for the 12gb files, but Race Render won't pick up the GPS track in the larger 12gb MP4 files.
    Last edited by KGW; 05-28-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Potential Tuner
    For anyone coming across this in the future - I found an article that walked through how to export off the GPS and sensor data outside of RaceRender - here .

using FFMpeg utility, the essential command is
    ffmpeg -y -i videofilename.MP4 -codec copy -map 0:3 -f rawvideo videofilename.bin

Then when starting a new project, use the exported .bin file for the data file. RaceRender will chew on it for a bit and show as 'not responding', but if you don't do anything and let it go, eventually it does pop up the usual window with the data track showing under Input Files.

Tuner in Training
    I have been using RR to process data from my GP 9 with some success. I typically have maybe 20 files created by the GP9, from 4 to 6 recording sections. So I have RR process each session as a group. (GX050051.MP4, GX060051.MP4, etc). But doing it this way means that the "track map" only shows the one session (all GXxxx051) files, so there is never a complete map.

I'd really like to get the complete "track map" from the many hours of trails.

I tried using ffmpeg to conconcatinate the files, using

$ cat mylist.txt
    file '/path/to/file1'
    file '/path/to/file2'
    file '/path/to/file3'

$ ffmpeg -f concat -safe 0 -i mylist.txt -c copy output.mp4

This created a 100 GB output file.
    When I read this into RR, it doesn't find any meta data, so there is no speed, position, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KGW View Post
    ffmpeg -y -i videofilename.MP4 -codec copy -map 0:3 -f rawvideo videofilename.bin

I tried this command, and it fails with the following error:

Stream map '0:3' matches no streams.
    To ignore this, add a trailing '?' to the map.

I don't understand what this error message is telling me, so I don't know what to do to correct it.

Potential Tuner
    MP4 (and most other video formats) are a package/bundle of 'streams', e.g video and audio are separate, even multiple audio streams for different languages etc, as in our case is the data stream from the camera.

The error you're seeing is that the stream, as mapped in the command KGW used, doesn't exist in the file. So either the concatenation didn't include the data stream(s) *or* it ended up in a different map. Something like mediainfo might be useful to see what streams are present in the file...

Potential Tuner
    NoSkill is exactly right. The ffmpeg concat command strips the data streams from the file. I spent a lot of time trying to find a way to concat video files WITH the data, but have not found a solution to that particular problem. That is what led me to the GoPro LAbs firmware which allows for 12gb files, hence less need for concatenation. I wanted this for the same reason - one continuous track map using the GoPro iOS app which has the "Stickers" - the out of the box GoPro overlays for the data, such as Speed/Direction and a nice simple track map.

When you want to advance beyond the out of box GoPro overlays, in comes RaceRender.

For what you are trying to do in RaceRender, you need a way to first get all of the GPS data into one continuous stream. Do this in RaceRender by selecting each _Data file in the Input Files box and right click and "Join" them. Once you have joined all of them, you can go to the Track Map Display Object and use the combined data as the "Input".

You can also right click on the "Joined Data" select "Merge Joined Data into a single file". Then export the combined GPS data into one file for anything else you might want to use it for. I have been playing with using this data file with Google Maps to make travel map "tracks" like the GoPro out of the box iOS "sticker" overlay does, but again, for tracks which are larger than the one 12gb file I can do right now with the GoPro app.
    Last edited by KGW; 07-01-2021 at 10:00 AM.