Thread: 4.6l 2v to 4v swap issues

Potential Tuner

4.6l 2v to 4v swap issues

Hey guys, i am hoping someone can help me with this as i am fairly new to the game. I have a F100 that I have a 4.6l 4v motor from a 96 cobra swapped into. I am using transmission, pcm and harness from a 2007 Crown vic PI. I have removed the EGR, and installed an oval throttle body from a 2006 Mustang GT to use the drive by wire capability. I know that this setup should work as i have done it another time and it ran great.

It idles great but the issue i am having is anything over about 1/4 throttle, it will start to pop out the exhaust and the intake and run awful. I have attached a Log as well as the tune file if anyone could have a peek and see if you have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!

thank you

red 64 truck adjusted.hpt 64 truck.hpl

Potential Tuner
    Hi Murc- I don't know if you've got your tune sorted. It seems like the lack of reasponse is based on this being a really commonly sited issue with many threads on the topic. Since I'm fairly new here and to tuning, I understand the challenges.
    If you're having misfires, out the exhaust, its usually bad fueling. If you have misfires out the intake, its usually bad timing.
    If it idles great with good LTFT's, then you will need to compare tunes and equipment between the throttle area that the pcm expects and what its actually recieving. Maybe check the command vs actual throttle opening. Did you do a proper throttle relearn? I currently have an adapter on my intake using the original throttle body as i haven't learned how to tune the throttle yet, which is supposedly really complicated for new tuners. To get you up and running as soon as possible while focusing your tuning on one item at a time, i would recommend installing whichever throttle your pcm is expecting, temporarily install original injectors and get you running and situating all problems stemming from coordinating your excessive amount of variables. Then consider swapping and tuning the components you want one at a time.
    Also, if you can get a quick reply from username decipha, he's the Obi Wan of Ford tuning and can offer you the besyt advice on what you might need to do. I'm excited for you!

Advanced Tuner
    If you want to get it right...

http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/