Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mustang ecoboost wont make power

Advanced Tuner

Mustang ecoboost wont make power

As the tittle says, the car is only making 225whp, it has a cvfab race intercooler, cvfab o/r downpipe and a borla atak exhaust, stock tune or my tune.

it was giving me undeboost codes and nothing i have done can bring it up.

tune0.hpt This is the stock file
    tune1 nohrspr.hpt This are the changes i have done
    dyno1.hpl This is a stock log
    dyno11.hpl This is the last datalog

i have changed the intercooler to stock, changed the turbo, changed the wastegate, checked all the pipings, checked compression, blocked off the blow off, put fresh sparkplugs and still the car wont go past 225 whp, in this dyno stock ecoboost mustangs are usually around 250-260whp and this tune should have it around 280-290whp.

Im out of ideas on what to test with this one.

Advanced Tuner
    Stock tune log looks pretty normal for a stock tune, seeing about the same boost as mine (17ish PSI).

The only things that stick out to me is OP enrichment request disabled, never had to change that... What was the reason there?
    And cylinder #3 knock was adding in a lot of timing vs the other cylinders, that's a bit odd... But could just be because it's not building power and trying to compensate with timing.

Have you checked and tested the wastegate solenoid and hoses?

Advanced Tuner
    These knock corrections are pretty common, even with full E85 and meth i see cyl 1 correct like that when i go wot and then make its way back to 0*.

i disconnected the hose from the wastegate, still that same boost.

Tuner
    from the last log, driver demand limit says "combustion stability" also torque airlimit source says "popcorn". under torque management/general bump your max map up to 80 in/hg this should stop the limiting, it will say "you are exceeding min/max limits hit ok anyway. looks like you need to up the expected tip tables to maybe 40 psi or so. they are set to 31.93 on the high end. also your max vs turbo airflow table is set to 29.47, bump that up to 40 also. this is all under airflow/pressure control/ throttle inlet pressure settings. keep in mind these are absolute pressure settings, thats why they look really high.
    Last edited by Stevekreger; 05-29-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Had one at work and I’d had a bad brake light switch, the rubber grommet failed and the pcm thought it had the brakes on while the throttle was being pressed while driving. We did a door latch recall and he was blaming us for something. Just a Hail Mary.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevekreger View Post
    from the last log, driver demand limit says "combustion stability" also torque airlimit source says "popcorn". under torque management/general bump your max map up to 80 in/hg this should stop the limiting, it will say "you are exceeding min/max limits hit ok anyway. looks like you need to up the expected tip tables to maybe 40 psi or so. they are set to 31.93 on the high end. also your max vs turbo airflow table is set to 29.47, bump that up to 40 also. this is all under airflow/pressure control/ throttle inlet pressure settings. keep in mind these are absolute pressure settings, thats why they look really high.
    I had to turn off the Undeboost failsafe, its not reaching requested boost

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    Had one at work and I’d had a bad brake light switch, the rubber grommet failed and the pcm thought it had the brakes on while the throttle was being pressed while driving. We did a door latch recall and he was blaming us for something. Just a Hail Mary.
    checked that, brake lights are working like they should

Advanced Tuner
    Thank you for the update sir

Advanced Tuner
    Any update?

Advanced Tuner
    Any update?
    compression test threw
    170 170 150 170
    so we did a leakdown test and its coming from the valves, so we are waiting for parts before we take it apart

Advanced Tuner
    How many miles on it, don’t see many issues like that. Sucks for sure looks like good old mechanical failure

Advanced Tuner
    I’m doing one that I keep having a overboost condition at the boost creeps up to 24-25 on stock turbo which is past my comfort level on stock Engine.

Advanced Tuner
    I’m doing one that I keep having a overboost condition at the boost creeps up to 24-25 on stock turbo which is past my comfort level on stock Engine.
    If you have enough octane it will the stock engine will take it.

it seems the car from that made me start this thread had a hard life before, we found the turbine housing was craked around the wastegate port and had some adapted hose from the pcv to the intake manifold

Advanced Tuner
    its on 93 but my problem is that it triggers a overboost condition then it will under boost and default to 9-10 psi max until you shut off and restart. this happens after a long sustained pull in 5th gear around 5000-5500 it will kick out there. have done many ecoboosts so im trying to see how i can bring down the boost about a lb or 2 to keep from happening at the top end. car is kicking my ass i work with the owner so he is being patient but still it aggravates me that i cant get rid of the issue. i tried pulling a little torque out of driver demand at the rpm its happening(not much about 10lb ft) but that did not affect it.

Potential Tuner
    This is a very similar issue that I'm having. Overboost codes cutting boost. I do have an upgraded wastegate with a #10 Turbosmart. Have you had any luck?

Advanced Tuner
    Log exhaust flow and mass fraction, make the relevant changes in the canister pressure table.
    Lower value = more boost

You can also adjust the parameters for overboost trigger in the engine diag->airflow tab.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    Log exhaust flow and mass fraction, make the relevant changes in the canister pressure table.
    Lower value = more boost

You can also adjust the parameters for overboost trigger in the engine diag->airflow tab.

Was this cylinder pressure table?

Also I found one of your latest files and noticed my TIP thresh and Airflow thresh were way under yours. There shouldn't be a problem matching this? I will move the Overboost TIP Run back down to 6 inHG.
    OverboostTrigger.png

OH yeah big preface - This is the standalone FRPP ECU because this Mustang ecoboost is in an old Volvo.
    Last edited by jstblz98; 08-25-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    No, canister pressure, under airflow->turbocharger.
    It controls how much "pressure" is in the wastegate actuator.

Yeah, in my tune I have all the overboost triggers maxed and I think I even have the DTC disabled too. It would be nice to have that active as a safety, but it gets in the way when tuning.

Tuner in Training

Advanced Tuner
    Just to give you guys an update, after the parts arrived the owner sold the car and bought a ecoboost with a built engine, so i couldnt see if the problem got fixed