Thread: Camaro 2.0T how to actually raise booost

Advanced Tuner

Camaro 2.0T how to actually raise booost

So, this car only has an intake and decatted stock downpipe, im trying to raise the boost on the top end and achieve a flatter boost curve but no matter what i change it stays the same.

can somebody shed some light in this one?

tune1.hpt Tune with the changes i made, currently going into REP because of an overboost code
    dynotune11.hpl This is the datalog with the changes i made
    tune0.hpt stock tune
    dynotune1.hpl stock datalog

Advanced Tuner
    It seems shared knowledge is very limited for this platform so ill continue sharing what i have in the hopes that it will help whoever needs info.

So we went to the street and this is what the last tune i left in the car behaved like
    streettest1.hpl
    at the end of that pull the car went into REP with an over boost code, and the throttle wouldn't open over 50%, so i went back to the stock tune and....
    streettest3.hpl
    Still had a closing throttle body, and still had the over boost code.

From there onward i tried decreasing the Wastegate Base DC so actual boost wouldn't spike over desired boost and trip the over boost, that made the throttle stay open a bit more before going into REP, decreasing it even more made no difference, that made me conclude that the PID system for the boost was making the corrections over the base DC table.

So next i tried taking the Proportional gain down so it wouldn't overshoot the desired boost, and it kinda worked, still it overshoots it, but now it stays within the allowed error for the overboost.

Next step i tried cutting driver demand by half, on the two bottom rows, that landed me lower boost and the throttle was still closing to 30% under boost.
    streettest8 half dd.hpl

So lets see what happens if i add 50% to the driver demand table.
    streettest9 2ble dd.hpl
    Well it made more boost, but still had the closing throttle and the falling boost curve, so no progress on this one.

What i did notice between the two runs was a change in sound, it sounded like the blow-off was open the whole way and the compressor surge limit table description reads "Compressor Surge Limit: Above this pressure ratio the BOV/BPV will open" so i maxed that table and.......
    streettest10 good boost.hpl
    EUREKA! no more falling boost, still had the closing throttle but now it makes constant boost.

So, lets try and double driver demand and lets see if i can get more boost out of it.
    streettest12 double dd.hpl
    no change in boost. So now lets see if i can get the throttle to stay open.

Tried raising the torque limit vs rpm tables, no change, tried raising Boost max limit and knock air mass, no change, tried going and raising the virtual torque tables, no change, and lastly raised the pressure ratio limit for the throttle (that works on the gen V v8) but saw no change.

So this is where im at now, i have run out of ideas but im leaving the data logs and tunes here to save you from going thru all the tests i have done.
    streettest13 last of the day.hpl
    tune2 good boost no throttle.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Did you see if you have any Torque Limiters? I know some of the newer cars use Torque Based Tables. For example the Silverado I tuned has the limiters adjusted, and on some of the Ford and Audi stuff I tuned it works off of Torque Demanded and such. In addition, I had to adjust the Torque tables as well. I haven't checked out the file yet but it could be that the reason the throttle is pushing back is because there are some limiters still in place.

I'll take a look when I am off work and after school and see if there is anything I can offer!
    2015 Silverado 6.2 - Intake, Exhaust, E85
    2009 Cobalt SS z57Turbo e47 FBO, Larger Fuel Cam Lobe
    2014 Audi S5 Double Pulley HPTuners Tuned
    "Bagee Tuned" Tuner - Tuning in the 559 Area

"Just an amateur tuner going to law school"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_cheese View Post
    Did you see if you have any Torque Limiters? I know some of the newer cars use Torque Based Tables. For example the Silverado I tuned has the limiters adjusted, and on some of the Ford and Audi stuff I tuned it works off of Torque Demanded and such. In addition, I had to adjust the Torque tables as well. I haven't checked out the file yet but it could be that the reason the throttle is pushing back is because there are some limiters still in place.

I'll take a look when I am off work and after school and see if there is anything I can offer!
    i logged everything i could find that started with "source" or "limiter" but they dont change

Potential Tuner
    Hey MJ, i also facing your problem in my ATS 2.0t E80A PCM, my desired boost can only reach 2.1-2.3bar under WOT. Now i have tried some steps exactly like your did in this post . But result the same . So i wonder have you figure out the final solution?

This tune will work on 17+ ATS 2.0 20-21 psi to 6000 rpm. Flex fuel
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wrong log attached. This is the correct one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    That's help dave! Thanks , So the key on your tune file ,i guess .DD table ??

That's part of it. Knock airmass and I forget what else. I paid for a tuning from a well-known tuner. I was unhappy with the drivability. The DD was raised everywhere. Car was jerky and surged. It also had a lot of knock. It took about 20 revisions to get the boost to peak at 250kpa and keep the throttle open the whole time.

Potential Tuner
    What mods are done to the car? Is there any gotchas with copying and pasting tables over to my 2016 file? I would likely start by removing 5 degrees of timing and adding 5% fuel to the vve and maf tables and tune from there.

I also got my car tuned by a big name reputable vendor and had the same experience. Rough idle, driver demand too high everywhere and wasnt smooth. I would give it 20% throttle and I would be getting 10 lbs of boost.

I started down the path of trying to fix these problems, but it seemed like it was going to be easier to start over, I am hoping this tune could give me a head start.

I tune around 5/6 of these a month for guys on line. They are very tricky especially 17 and up on keeping the boost as you want it and holding true wot. They like to use the throttle blade to regulate the boost and power. They also use kr to limit power so sometimes you do not know if it?s real spark knock or false. This was tested on early 23/14s years ago adding 110 octane to cars that had 3/4 degrees of kr on logs and that did nothing for it. The worst part is the engine will not take a true 4/5 degrees long at all before failure. One spike to 6 degrees cam wipe out a piston.
    While I can?t control what people do with my tunes or learn from it I do tune many of these and very good at it. Been fixing zzp tunes on cars for around 8 years now with more then 300 ltg tunes under my belt. Can reach out if interested in buying a tune and resolve your issues safely as testing in this platform often can end in a motor that fails. My average ethanol bolt on tune is 330whp and 93 only is 300 on stock turbos with a few simple mods. 230 is stock for those that have never dynoed a car. Those are average numbers while made 325whp on 93 for my peak and 368whp on e40 also peak across the years I have been doing this. Some cars just respond better and obviously some dynos read higher then others. I also hold the stock turbo record at 11.92 on a Camaro with bolt ons only that car made 347whp 380 tq fbo

Quote Originally Posted by mJolnir View Post
    So, this car only has an intake and decatted stock downpipe, im trying to raise the boost on the top end and achieve a flatter boost curve but no matter what i change it stays the same.

can somebody shed some light in this one?

tune1.hpt Tune with the changes i made, currently going into REP because of an overboost code
    dynotune11.hpl This is the datalog with the changes i made
    tune0.hpt stock tune
    dynotune1.hpl stock datalog
    so that looks like a cooper tune right there as cannot hold the requested boost. This isnt even close I see your really trying to blow this car up. Car is so over rich its going to puddle the fuel and get massive pre ignition total melt down on it is what I see comming if keep this up. Any gm DI is worse off over rich then a little too lean but im unhinged becasue im not offering free help. take notice that a few years ago all the help and threads were mine I did tons of free tunes and help on these for years but then decided to make a living at it along with all my v8 tuning. go look at the b side and will get the same thing maybe some hints here and there but no one is going give you a direct answer especially when its something that most people cannot tune like the ltg. But I will tell you besed on these logs your fuelng and timing is so far off you do end up holding boost your going to blow it up. Also the ltg peak power comes at 5800 typically so keep up the 6800 plus and going to drop a valve on the stock cam and springs. Most cars that go really fast are shifting at 5900-6000 peak and thats fbo on ethanol. So even though a total ass on the ltg facebook page I did give you some valuable info.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

What year are you in the car,Is there a PID of wastegate dc in your channel?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    so that looks like a cooper tune right there o.
    Why drag another name, when he self tunes? What is this? OP If you need help on tune LTG just dm I check when have time.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    Why drag another name, when he self tunes? What is this? OP If you need help on tune LTG just dm I check when have time.
    I also offer help but I am an LSJ guy. Let me know if you are still struggling.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by smcstevesmc View Post
    I also offer help but I am an LSJ guy. Let me know if you are still struggling.
    most gracious thanks! If he reach out, I will reach out tooo you also for second sets of eye

Quote Originally Posted by Emily89 View Post
    Why because this prick has gone out of his way to post slander on Facebook ltg forums. Crybaby comes from euro talks shit on people he doesn?t know. That?s why he got that comment. And let me tell you this ecm is beyond different from lnf or lsj. Trying tuning an ltg in a similar form you will for sure break a piston. People that don?t know platform well should not go offering any help on it as these engines are fragile. 4 degrees kr and more then likely it?s gonna break a piston ring. This is the most blown up engine on thr gm platform by far with both stock tune and inexperienced tuners. So people that do not know them very well don?t offer help as odds are you will blow someone up.
    First 9 second 6th gen lt4 zl1 stock blower SHC SBE boost only.

2013 cadillac ats 2.0t Big turbo-gone
    2007 tahoe 5.3 lsa blower on 14 lbs boost 6l80e swap 2009 os
    2017 zl1 a10 big gulp/2 inch headers/ 9.55 lower/ e85/bigger hx /103mm tb / Synergy trunk tank and underhood kit/methanol injection with torqbyte controller and prometh pump / Jokerz performance R&D ported stock blower/ lme cnc heads /GP tuning custom cam. So far 9.30@150

So let me just explain how the ltg community works as it?s not like any other. Search my name and will find more help and posts then anyone a few years ago. I helped many for free or even 200 dollar tunes just to make it worth my while while having to buy credits on the mpvi1 so could modify the tune as spent 100 of it.
    I got pretty busy with helping a lot of people off here as had great success on the cars and none lot motors but still ran well. It only took one to come along that i helped that thought was going to take my tune and what I did for him and try to make money off my hard work for me to stop teaching others this platform. Then that guy teams up with another person that was trying to tune failed reached out to me for help. I fix the car now he also is now attempting to sell tunes with this other thief. That?s how people that in this community get treated. I?ve never seen such a thing but I guess he was so desperate to make money and in the process of this blow up a lot of cars along the way and I have yet to see any he did on his own run right. There are to my knowledge only 4 companies attempting to do these cars of that me and zzp are the only two with successful cars. Gen v gm is a complete different animal so many big shops still tune them as if port injection and give up a lot of hp. The difference here on the ltg is the top piston ring gap is so small that small amounts of kr can cause the end gaps to butt and pop the ring land. Probably why 90 percent blow up. This is also why not a lot of info floating around on them. You can also have every single torque limit raised in the tune correctly and it still not give you the requested boost raise your looking for. One tune that works great on one car can go into another one same exact mods and ecm and blow it up from over boost or it might not even make target. I still have a lot of good info out here in old threads some are able to get their own car right or at least close off that. What I don?t share any more is afr target or cam timing settings I found 12-18whp going to max timing on what fuel. But if go dig on the 13-15s you can find out how to make it hit boost target and throttle stay open. 16s are close but 17 and up with totally different tcm and ecm are in its own world and different on how they work. Most of those take a tcm unlock and to raise the torque limits just to make it respond well. 2017 is the absolute worst of them just about every one of those will take a tcm unlock to make good power. Until very recently I had to do that on all of them. And scaling down a tune like zzp is doing is not recommended. Lower the injector lowers the eat torque which in turn yet let?s it make more hp but now the transmission is not getting the correct signal and it will lower the psi to the clutches in turn burn up the torque converter very quickly on bolt ons and the whole trans if it?s even a hybrid. This is why zzp trans tunes are super aggressive on settings attempting to make a trans work right after scaling the whole tune down as they can?t make them work as it should. I?m the only one I have seen do these cars right on higher hp and not be cutting corners that can hurt other aspects of how the car performs or drives. I?ll answer any questions anyone might have kn things like that as seen every way possible on how someone has tuned these incorrectly.
    My whole point being if this is your daily driver it?s not very safe like so many others to take swings at it and expect it to not be hurt in the process. Never seen an engine gm has made be so unforgiving and it?s all due to that piston ring gap. Know motors you know exactly what I?m taking about.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post
    So let me just explain how the ltg community works as it?s not like any other. Search my name and will find more help and posts then anyone a few years ago. I helped many for free or even 200 dollar tunes just to make it worth my while while having to buy credits on the mpvi1 so could modify the tune as spent 100 of it.
    I got pretty busy with helping a lot of people off here as had great success on the cars and none lot motors but still ran well. It only took one to come along that i helped that thought was going to take my tune and what I did for him and try to make money off my hard work for me to stop teaching others this platform. Then that guy teams up with another person that was trying to tune failed reached out to me for help. I fix the car now he also is now attempting to sell tunes with this other thief. That?s how people that in this community get treated. I?ve never seen such a thing but I guess he was so desperate to make money and in the process of this blow up a lot of cars along the way and I have yet to see any he did on his own run right. There are to my knowledge only 4 companies attempting to do these cars of that me and zzp are the only two with successful cars. Gen v gm is a complete different animal so many big shops still tune them as if port injection and give up a lot of hp. The difference here on the ltg is the top piston ring gap is so small that small amounts of kr can cause the end gaps to butt and pop the ring land. Probably why 90 percent blow up. This is also why not a lot of info floating around on them. You can also have every single torque limit raised in the tune correctly and it still not give you the requested boost raise your looking for. One tune that works great on one car can go into another one same exact mods and ecm and blow it up from over boost or it might not even make target. I still have a lot of good info out here in old threads some are able to get their own car right or at least close off that. What I don?t share any more is afr target or cam timing settings I found 12-18whp going to max timing on what fuel. But if go dig on the 13-15s you can find out how to make it hit boost target and throttle stay open. 16s are close but 17 and up with totally different tcm and ecm are in its own world and different on how they work. Most of those take a tcm unlock and to raise the torque limits just to make it respond well. 2017 is the absolute worst of them just about every one of those will take a tcm unlock to make good power. Until very recently I had to do that on all of them. And scaling down a tune like zzp is doing is not recommended. Lower the injector lowers the eat torque which in turn yet let?s it make more hp but now the transmission is not getting the correct signal and it will lower the psi to the clutches in turn burn up the torque converter very quickly on bolt ons and the whole trans if it?s even a hybrid. This is why zzp trans tunes are super aggressive on settings attempting to make a trans work right after scaling the whole tune down as they can?t make them work as it should. I?m the only one I have seen do these cars right on higher hp and not be cutting corners that can hurt other aspects of how the car performs or drives. I?ll answer any questions anyone might have kn things like that as seen every way possible on how someone has tuned these incorrectly.
    My whole point being if this is your daily driver it?s not very safe like so many others to take swings at it and expect it to not be hurt in the process. Never seen an engine gm has made be so unforgiving and it?s all due to that piston ring gap. Know motors you know exactly what I?m taking about.
    Wow~~~That's a sad story ~

Sorry I didn't read everything on this thread, but I've noticed during a flying mile run (in Mexico ) on the stock tune, the boost increased by 2 or 3 psi on it's own only once the car went into 7th gear at full throttle. This happened every time I did one of those full throttle runs. So Maybe something to do with the transmission might be limiting the boost ???