Thread: 01 with 12208322 os swap to 02 12212156 os

01 with 12208322 os swap to 02 12212156 os

I have an 01 silverado with a 12208322 os that I want to upgrade my 05 electric fans to have full pcm control.
    I purchased a fan harness from BP Automotive along with their A/C update kit.
    Everything is installed and I can control fans with bidirectional, however the fans come on right at start up and don't turn off.
    I have done some searching and this seems to be a common problem with the 01 trucks and the fix seems to be to change to the 12212156 os from a 02.
    So all I need to do is open the comparison log differences. and copy over all differences, license the file and write entire to the truck.
    And this should work just the vin will not match.
    If I need the vin to match I will need to use the change vin wizard and license the file again, correct?

Senior Tuner
    You have the basics correct...just copy over the original engine and transmission tables to the newer OS.

However, you won't be able to change the VIN with HP Tuners. It'll recognize the VIN as being a 2001 model and the OS as a 2002 model, and give you a VIN change error.
    There are other ways to change the VIN with other software, if needed.

Can't the VIN be changed using the change VIN wizard in HP Tuners?
    I have the 02 12212156 os and if I open the change VIN wizard and type in the VIN from my truck no errors show only to commit.
    So could I change the VIN in the 02 os to match my truck then write entire to the truck and should be all good at that point.
    It would just require 2 credits to commit the VIN on the 02 os and another 2 credits to apply it to the truck.
    Not trying to be argumentative, just want to wrap my head around how it all works.
    I was hoping to just make the changes to the 02 os and write entire to the truck and not worry about the VIN as my state does not have inspections and I could save 2 credits.

The VIN means nothing, so if you don't need it don't worry about it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    01 VIN with a 02 OS is a VIN/OS mismatch. HP Tuners will let you license a VIN/OS mismatch but it won't let you create a VIN/OS mismatch.

Potential Tuner
    Did this fix your problem? I swapped a 6.0 from a 2001 suburban in my car and bought the bp automotive ac trianary switch update and my car does the same thing. The number 1 fan turns on right when the engine starts and wont turn off. I took tuning classes so I don't want to sound like a newb but this has been bugging me. All of my ac inputs are maxed out as well. Also Im a little confused on how to change the OS. Are you talking about a complete re write or some kind of segment swap?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle212 View Post
    Did this fix your problem? I swapped a 6.0 from a 2001 suburban in my car and bought the bp automotive ac trianary switch update and my car does the same thing. The number 1 fan turns on right when the engine starts and wont turn off. I took tuning classes so I don't want to sound like a newb but this has been bugging me. All of my ac inputs are maxed out as well. Also Im a little confused on how to change the OS. Are you talking about a complete re write or some kind of segment swap?
    This is a fairly common issue on some of the earlier OS's. You can just use a calibration file for a 2002 application with 12212156 OS and Write Entire. Then you can copy your fuel tables and spark tables, transmission shift points, etc to the newer OS cal file.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    This is a fairly common issue on some of the earlier OS's. You can just use a calibration file for a 2002 application with 12212156 OS and Write Entire. Then you can copy your fuel tables and spark tables, transmission shift points, etc to the newer OS cal file.
    Thank you for the quick reply. I will try this tonight and let you know what happens.

Senior Tuner
    Before you spend credits on another OS , if your AC type is set to analog cycling, try switching it to just analog.

Potential Tuner
    I actually figured something out. I set the ac fan disable speed to zero and now the number one fan does not come on right at the start and works normally as just a regular fan when the temp hits its target. I would really like to figure out how to make the fans turn on when I turn my ac on though. Its wired like a factory vehicle to turn on. I'm thinking this is where the updated OS will be needed. Here's a picture of my settings for reference. Any input would be appreciated.2021-07-01.png

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Worked like a charm! Thankyou. I didnt even have to buy credits for the other os because I already had one unlocked for a friends truck i unlocked previously.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    01 VIN with a 02 OS is a VIN/OS mismatch. HP Tuners will let you license a VIN/OS mismatch but it won't let you create a VIN/OS mismatch.

That is not necessarily true... As my 2001 Suburban is running 2002 OS because I had to update from the 8322 OS to the 2156 OS, just like the OP and I am still using my VIN.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by apex2112 View Post
    I have an 01 silverado with a 12208322 os that I want to upgrade my 05 electric fans to have full pcm control.
    I purchased a fan harness from BP Automotive along with their A/C update kit.
    Everything is installed and I can control fans with bidirectional, however the fans come on right at start up and don't turn off.
    I have done some searching and this seems to be a common problem with the 01 trucks and the fix seems to be to change to the 12212156 os from a 02.
    So all I need to do is open the comparison log differences. and copy over all differences, license the file and write entire to the truck.
    And this should work just the vin will not match.
    If I need the vin to match I will need to use the change vin wizard and license the file again, correct?
    In regard to the VIN, you can change the VIN on the file before you license it so you can verify if it will work or not. I took a 2156 OS from a 2002 Silverado, changed the VIN to that of my 2001 Suburban and did not receive the VIN/OS mismatch error. I saved the file and then licensed it when i burned it to my my suburban. This fixed my issue with the fans coming on as soon as the keys were forward and it was nice knowing i was able to retain my VIN in the event i move to some state that requires the VIN to match for emissions and all that.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle212 View Post
    I actually figured something out. I set the ac fan disable speed to zero and now the number one fan does not come on right at the start and works normally as just a regular fan when the temp hits its target. I would really like to figure out how to make the fans turn on when I turn my ac on though. Its wired like a factory vehicle to turn on. I'm thinking this is where the updated OS will be needed. Here's a picture of my settings for reference. Any input would be appreciated.2021-07-01.png
    I have my A/C set to serial cycling with the trinary switch. Below are the settings I used and has been nothing but great, but you can always change the disable A/C pressure to lower and see what you think. I currently have mine set to 160 as shown in the last image.

dScreenshot 2021-02-04 145053.pngScreenshot 2021-02-04 145048.pngScreenshot 2021-02-04 145028.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by apex2112 View Post
    Can't the VIN be changed using the change VIN wizard in HP Tuners?
    I have the 02 12212156 os and if I open the change VIN wizard and type in the VIN from my truck no errors show only to commit.
    So could I change the VIN in the 02 os to match my truck then write entire to the truck and should be all good at that point.
    It would just require 2 credits to commit the VIN on the 02 os and another 2 credits to apply it to the truck.
    Not trying to be argumentative, just want to wrap my head around how it all works.
    I was hoping to just make the changes to the 02 os and write entire to the truck and not worry about the VIN as my state does not have inspections and I could save 2 credits.
    You can change the VIN and if it shows commit and no VIN/OS mismatch, you can save it and only have to burn 2 credits when you burn it to the truck. In total I spent $200. $100 for the original OS that was on the truck, and trying to make that work, and then $100 for the 2002 OS with my VIN added to it using the change VIN wizard in HP tuners. If you burn to the truck and then try to change the VIN, its going to cost additional credits because the way the file is written it will be a different ID and be seen as entirely new file being written.

While the VIN means nothing in the majority of places like 5FDP pointed out, places like California that is not the case as the VIN must match when you go to do your emissions. I am not sure what other states are like that, but just an FYI.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsquigglyinmyeye View Post
    That is not necessarily true... As my 2001 Suburban is running 2002 OS because I had to update from the 8322 OS to the 2156 OS, just like the OP and I am still using my VIN.
    Thank you for letting us know. I'll have to give this a try.

Senior Tuner
    Then something has changed. I've been using HPT since 2004 and HPT would never let you create a VIN/OS mismatch. It was only recently I'm thinking around software revisions of 3.XX and later would even let you license a VIN/OS mismatch that was created with other tuners like Tunercat and EFI Live. Creating VIN/OS mismatches broke their licensing scheme. It would be nice if Bill or someone else from HPT would clarify what is allowed now.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Then something has changed. I've been using HPT since 2004 and HPT would never let you create a VIN/OS mismatch. It was only recently I'm thinking around software revisions of 3.XX and later would even let you license a VIN/OS mismatch that was created with other tuners like Tunercat and EFI Live. Creating VIN/OS mismatches broke their licensing scheme. It would be nice if Bill or someone else from HPT would clarify what is allowed now.
    Correct, HPT will not allow you to do a VIN/OS mismatch, that has not changed. What i am saying though is that just because its a 2001 VIN and the OS is a 2002, that does not automatically mean that its going to be an OS/Mismatch.

This is straight from HP tuners:

Change VIN Rules
    The following checks are in place when using the Change VIN function:

You must have support for the vehicle you are modifying.
    You must have support for the new VIN you are trying to write.
    The new VIN must be valid and must qualify for the OS currently found on the VCM.

So my 2001 Suburban VIN qualified to use the 02 OS which is why it was a non-issue because some vehicles from 2001 were also updated to the 12212156 OS in 2002 if they had issues and the dealership resolved them with an OS change.

Just now I took a 2002 OS, input the VIN from a 2000 and got a VIN/OS mismatch error. However, i took the VIN from a 2001 Yukon file and added it to the same OS, did not get the error and was able to commit the changes and save the file. So while its not like EFI live that will allow you to input any VIN with any OS, HP tuners DOES allow the VIN to be changed IF the VIN could have potentially used that OS from GM. Exact same steps i took for me to update the VIN for my 2001 suburban to the 12212156 OS and write it to the truck without any issues.

R/
    Chris

2000 Silverado VIN/OS Mismatch Error

2000 Silverado VIN-OS mismatch error.JPG

2001 Yukon Stock OS 12208322

2001 Yukon Stock OS.JPG

2001 Yukon VIN Input into VIN Change Wizard for 2002/12212156 OS

2001 New OS No error.JPG

Committing VIN Change from 2002 VIN to 2001 Yukon VIN

2001 Vin Change Commited.JPG

2002/12212156 OS reflects updated VIN with that from a 2001 Yukon

2001 Yukon New OS.JPG
    Last edited by ohsquigglyinmyeye; 07-07-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Yours is a unique situation then.