Thread: Cold Start / Part Throttle Hesitation

Tuner in Training

Cold Start / Part Throttle Hesitation

Hello gents,
    First time HP Tuner user, first time poster, very excited to start poking around.
    Hoping I've got everything needed to perhaps shine a little light, if a scan is needed I can do that, might just need a little help.
    I've got a 1999 Camaro turbo car that I recently purchased but the cold start/idle and drivability need a little TLC.
    I tried playing around and adding a little timing and air to the idle but to no avail, attached is the incomplete base tune I bought the car with.
    The car was WOT tuned on the dyno and made 748whp on 12 lbs. through a bad TH400 which I've sense replaced so the top end of the tune seems okay.
    Combo consists of the following:
    Forged LS1
    CNC Ported 243 heads
    Brute Speed Forced Induction Cam
    Victor Junior intake, elbow and Holley 105mm TB, no MAF
    FI Billet S484 Turbo
    FIC 1000cc injectors / AM fuel system and rails / pump gas only / 40psi base fuel pressure
    TH400 Transmission
    I've got a couple issues I'm looking to remedy and would love some help but also want to learn so if you have a suggestion please give additional info.
    -Upon cold start, car starts right up but quickly stumbles and dies after starting, doesn't seem to reach the 1000rpm target idle, I have to keep it alive with the throttle until there's some heat in it. Hot start/idle is good.
    -Car wants to die when coming to a stop when driving, I have to modulate the throttle while decelerating so it doesn't die, also seems to struggle a little while idling in gear.
    -When you just start to press on the gas while cruising it seems like the transition from closed TB blade to just cracking it open is not right, there is a bit of a flat or dead spot.

Any info or guidance is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The speed density setup isn't right. They never put the MAF dtc's to MIL on first error, you'll want to change that.

The open loop EQ ratio has a lot of fuel in it when it's cold. That could be something to look at and the VE table around idle is really low, so that seems suspect to me.

I don't have their injector data but you should double check it to make sure. 1000's are 95lb/hr at 43.5psi and if you are running 40psi of base pressure that means they are only 91lb/hr but your tune says 99lb/hr currently.

Make sure the MAP data is correct for the MAP sensor too.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The speed density setup isn't right. They never put the MAF dtc's to MIL on first error, you'll want to change that.

The open loop EQ ratio has a lot of fuel in it when it's cold. That could be something to look at and the VE table around idle is really low, so that seems suspect to me.

I don't have their injector data but you should double check it to make sure. 1000's are 95lb/hr at 43.5psi and if you are running 40psi of base pressure that means they are only 91lb/hr but your tune says 99lb/hr currently.

Excellent, I'll remedy the MAF lights tomorrow as well as double check the injector info and MAP data.
    So remove some of the fuel in the EQ table, what 5-10% at a time?
    For the VE table, start bumping it by 5-10% at a time as well?
    Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

Okay so I fixed the MAF error lights.
    Confirmed the injector data needed to be at 95 lbs for the 43ish psi of fuel pressure and corrected that.
    I then pulled a bit of fuel out of the EQ Table and bumped the VE table up a bit from 400-2000.
    Bumping the VE seemed to help but the car still dies when dropping it into gear.
    All these changes only seemed to marginally help but I'm not giving up!
    Come to find out the previous owner had the idle and drive-ability pretty dialed in but when he went to get the car WOT dyno tuned, the tuner uploaded his own tune for the WOT session and then never completed the rest of the tune since transmission issues were discovered.