Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with 2018 Coyote Gen3 5.0 tune

Tuner in Training

Need help with 2018 Coyote Gen3 5.0 tune

Hello,
    I have a 2018 Coyote Gen3 5.0 with an MT-82 6 speed in a kit car. The engine runs ok but needs a tune. I am fresh to this and I need some help here. Here the overview:

- Open K&N
    - Straight headers
    - IMRC intake flaps deleted
    - Open exhaust (side pipes)
    - 91 oct
    - Cat's and so 2 O2's after cat deleted
    - EVAP deleted

The engine runs ok but logically runs lean. This is what I'm not sure with:

1) where/how to tell the computer not to look for the cat and those after cat O2's?
    2) the MAF sits almost in the same place like oem. Is there a way to calibrate this? How and where?
    3) rich/lean: is there a way to run a self learning session to achieve a basic air/fuel map? How?
    4) how to adjust maximum RPM?

Thanks in advance

Tuner
    1) where/how to tell the computer not to look for the cat and those after cat O2's?
    Fuel-Oxygen Sensors-Downstream-Rear config-None
    Also Heaters S2=0
    Engine Diag- probably need to change CEL for secondary O2's

2) the MAF sits almost in the same place like oem. Is there a way to calibrate this? How and where?
    Airflow General-MAF Calibration-Airflow vs Period. Then log trims to figure out adjustments needed.

3) rich/lean: is there a way to run a self learning session to achieve a basic air/fuel map? How?
    Coyote ECU normally runs in closed loop all the time. It will target the lambda values shown on fueling tabs.

Fuel-Cut off tab. The one you want is under Temperature Based Cut Off

Advanced Tuner
    With the EPA crack down do you think it wise to publicly tell someone how to defeat emission control devises?

I for one would like HP tuners to stick around without the EPA making them not allow these kinds of changes.

Please delete your post.

Tuner
    He has a kit car, don"t think the EPA will be wasting their time trying to police his little 5.0 emissions

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by K44 View Post
    With the EPA crack down do you think it wise to publicly tell someone how to defeat emission control devises?

I for one would like HP tuners to stick around without the EPA making them not allow these kinds of changes.

Please delete your post.
    Gee...
    Plimmer got it right. An SB100 makes this legal.

Advanced Tuner
    The EPA is not worried about 1 car but they might come after HP for it allowing a tuner the ability to turn off emission controls.

Just like the way they have gone after header manufactures and tune shops.....

Advanced Tuner
    EPA cant go after HP since they dont tune cars i.e. they aren't defeating emissions.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    EPA cant go after HP since they dont tune cars i.e. they aren't defeating emissions.
    I didn't think they could stop manufacturers from selling test pipes or off road headers either.

Hopefully it's a non issue but each time I download a new beta I wonder if some tables will be missing.

Tuner in Training
    Thx Plimmer
    OK, i noticed that the cat protection (torque reduction) is set to 1.10. Do you see the need for it when there are no cat's anymore?

I checked on MIL lights. Are the after cat O2's named 'Bank2'? If so, can I opt all bank2's out?

There is a tap for traction control (airmass multiplier: 30%). Do you see the need to change this since i don't have a TC?

In the IMRC tab>optimum stability... do you see the need to set threshold and hysteresis to 0, just like it's set in transiant performance and optimum power, since my IMRC flaps are permanently open?

Thanks in advance

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Plimmer View Post
    Fuel-Oxygen Sensors-Downstream-Rear config-None
    Also Heaters S2=0
    Engine Diag- probably need to change CEL for secondary O2's

Airflow General-MAF Calibration-Airflow vs Period. Then log trims to figure out adjustments needed.

Coyote ECU normally runs in closed loop all the time. It will target the lambda values shown on fueling tabs.

Fuel-Cut off tab. The one you want is under Temperature Based Cut Off

Thx Plimmer
    OK, i noticed that the cat protection (torque reduction) is set to 1.10. Do you see the need for it when there are no cat's anymore?

I checked on MIL lights. Are the after cat O2's named 'Bank2'? If so, can I opt all bank2's out?

There is a tap for traction control (airmass multiplier: 30%). Do you see the need to change this since i don't have a TC?

In the IMRC tab>optimum stability... do you see the need to set threshold and hysteresis to 0, just like it's set in transiant performance and optimum power, since my IMRC flaps are permanently open?

Thanks in advance

Tuner
    I would disable all the protections, there should be a “Disable” pull down. There are 3, cat, flange and O2 if I remember correctly.

It’s not bank 2, bank 1 and 2 refer to passenger side or driver side. It will be bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2. Or something like that. Sorry, on iPad now, so can’t look it up at moment.

Don’t know much about TC, I usually turn it off in the car each time I start up. You could try change that, but don’t be surprised if the coyote tries something else to achieve traction control. Look in spark cut torque ratio and fuel cut torque ratio for TC and change both to prevent TC. That may do it.

For IMRC I think you would set the defaults to open for everything without changing any thresholds.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Plimmer View Post
    I would disable all the protections, there should be a “Disable” pull down. There are 3, cat, flange and O2 if I remember correctly.

It’s not bank 2, bank 1 and 2 refer to passenger side or driver side. It will be bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2. Or something like that. Sorry, on iPad now, so can’t look it up at moment.

Don’t know much about TC, I usually turn it off in the car each time I start up. You could try change that, but don’t be surprised if the coyote tries something else to achieve traction control. Look in spark cut torque ratio and fuel cut torque ratio for TC and change both to prevent TC. That may do it.

For IMRC I think you would set the defaults to open for everything without changing any thresholds.
    Hey Plimmer,
    I've tried all the suggested settings and tested it today. At first it felt all way smoother and torque in low RPM's gained. Beyond 4500 a huge power loss though. If i would have to give that feel a number, I'd say 30% loss. I've uploaded the previous file and the problem was gone again. So which of those settings could be the trigger for that?
    Other than that... i need a solid fuel map bad.

Tuner in Training
    Don't know what this is, but since a better tune is on my 2018 Coyote 5.0 Gen3 (crate engine in kit car)- no more rumble down the gears. Turning on burble doesn't do anything.
    Does anyone know what's going on?

Advanced Tuner
    Spark only torque ratio under DFSO. Use something like 0.7. 1.0 will cut it all out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Spark only torque ratio under DFSO. Use something like 0.7. 1.0 will cut it all out.
    Wow, ok, thx.
    I guess it can't hurt anything huh?
    So is the 1.0 setting there deactivating the burble part, or is this preventing the more or less natural V8 rumble down the gears?

Advanced Tuner
    Read up on Ford SAI torque reduction. The first fast-path method to reduce torque is by reducing spark timing. That table determines the torque reduction limit using spark timing. A value of 1.0 there and a value of 1.0 in the fuel cut tr table sends it straight to fuel cut on decel. Reducing spark only tr allows timing retard to be used initially for decel, so you get the pops.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome.
    Sorry, would you please point out where exactly i have to make these adjustments? Don't want to do this wrong.

Advanced Tuner
    Ecm 33458 under DFSO. I’m using 0.8 there.

Tuner in Training
    Great, thx. Done. I'll try this on the weekend.
    So this will pop even the burble logic (44021) is disabled, or does this have to be enabled?

Sorry, but you seem to be extremely familiar with the settings for the gen3, and I am also confused with the IMRC settings. Hoping you can clear this up for me.
    I deleted the IMRC (flaps open). I've read though that disabling it is not enough and settings have to be done. Is this correct?

Advanced Tuner
    Correct on your first question. Burble logic disabled.

IMRC delete is a lot more work than it seems. I’d leave them functional if possible.