Thread: TrackAddict won't connect to Dual XGPS160

TrackAddict won't connect to Dual XGPS160

After a recent iPhone (and iOS) upgrade, TrackAddict started getting many gaps in GPS data, sometimes as much as 10-20 seconds. In an attempt to work around the problem I bought a Dual XGPS160 receiver.

Alas, TrackAddict will not connect to the XGPS160. The XGPS160 is connected to the phone via Bluetooth and TrackAddict has GPS input set to XGPS160. TrackAddict keeps flashing GPS ACQUIRING ... for minutes if I wait.

Setup details:
    • TrackAddict 4.6.7 PRO
    • iPhone 12 mini
    • iOS 14.5.1
    • Dual XGPS160 (3.6.0 fw)
    • PLX KIWI 3

A friend with the same GPS issue bought a Garmin GLO and is having the same problem.

One final note: I installed Dual's SkyPro app on my iPhone and used it to confirm that the phone could talk to the XPGS160 and that the GPS data looked sane. That's also how I identified the version of the firmware on the device.
    Last edited by MorganHaggis; 06-02-2021 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Add "Dual SkyPro app" info.

We've recently had a few reports of issues with the XGPS160 and TrackAddict iOS, and I believe in all cases it was with the v3.6.0 firmware. The latest version that my own XGPS160 units will update to is v3.5.4, so this newer firmware version may be for a newer version of the hardware. I have a new unit on its way to me now, and I'm hopeful that it's just a simple GPS data format change that we can accommodate with an app update, but I wont be able to say for certain until it gets here...

Thanks! Hopefully you'll soon have an update that fixes the problem.

(I noticed that Dual did this to you a few years ago, too, with some firmware update on their side breaking compatibility. Grrrr ...)

BTW, any idea why the iPhone's built-in GPS has gone so far off the rails? I don't suppose Apple will deign to fix it.
    Last edited by MorganHaggis; 06-08-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Any progress? It has been three weeks and my next track day is coming up soon. I'd like to be able to use TrackAddict without garbage GPS data.

Yes, I got the latest version XGPS160 here and the new firmware was indeed not working with the version of their SDK that we had been using on iOS, so I have updated and am working on finishing up an app update this coming week... No issue on Android, only iOS.

The fix will be in version 4.7.0 for iOS...

Great! I'll watch for the 4.7.0 update.

v4.7.0 update is now live on iOS App Store as of last night. I tested it with both old and new XGPS160 units, as they use different versions of firmware. Please let us know if you encounter any further issues with this...

I ran with it at Thunderhill West on Saturday and the data looks good. Thank you!