Thread: Some random questions

Tuner

Some random questions

I haven't used hptuners software in a while because truck has sat for 10 years. Now i want to start messing with it and with the newer software i have a few questions.

First is my last read from my ecm was back in version 2.24 and i see new option in the current software. Should i write truck back to stock and reread with newest software to poll more items or something like that or can i just read file thats in it and all information should come out properly.

Second i want to do segment swap on engine and engine diagnostics. I have all licenses and proper os files but not sure if i should write entire or just calibration.

Lastly just curious when you do a segment swap i assume it does more behind the scenes that just copy all adjustable setting over? It must make hardware logic changes like tell ecm to look for something that it didnt before of maybe activate unused pins like in 4l80e swap. I found in the forums that you cant just select 4l80e in the trans type you have to do segment swap for it to work. why would there be a trans type tab if it didnt do anything more than change label in tune?

I have a 2003 silverado v8 p59 ecm stock ecm

Thanks for you help.

Segment swaps need a full write like if you did a 4L60e to 4L80e.

If you just need to copy the engine side data from say going 5.3 to 6.0, you can just copy/paste and do a write calibration only.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    I was looking to add traction control and the last step is to make ecm look for torque signal from abs and send requested signal back with new os engine file. i found a truck that is identical to mine except it has the nw7 traction control. Would this require write entire?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Segment swaps need a full write like if you did a 4L60e to 4L80e.
    Actually that is not the case. Segment swapping does not require a full write. Write cal only is fine since you aren't changing the operating system
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Good to know lol, I'm always doing the swaps plus the OS change for 2/3 bar so it's all been together with a new file. Haven't bricked one yet
    Last edited by 5FDP; 06-03-2021 at 06:01 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Good to know lol, I'm always doing the swaps plus the OS change for 2/3 bar so it's all been together with a new file. Haven't bricked one yet
    Yeah once you change OS's you've got to do write entire for the first write, but if you are not changing the operating system write cal is fine.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"