Thread: Real Time Tuning Function

Potential Tuner

Real Time Tuning Function

I just recently purchased a MPVI2 and Im new to tuning so I have been watching a lot of videos. Everything that I have found has told me that I need to convert to speed density enhanced os in order to use the real time tuning function so thats what I did. according to all the info I have found, there should be a wrench and lightning bolt at the top of the page that im supposed to click to start the function. Is this even still a function on the MPVI2 or am I reading and watching old information?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    still a function for the vehicles that actually support RTT which makes up less than 1% of all the vehicles we actually support. Mainly 99-04 LS1 ecm's, nothing else.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Hoping to hear back from support as my os operating system# did change as well as my scanner upgraded but i still don’t have the rtt option to view the vve tables when I click the edit button on my 2000 trans am.

VVE is a GEN 4+ platform thing, not something you'd see on a LS1 Trans Am.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

So I can't tune1bar maf on the car using the vve table? Support emailed me this stating it has the vve tables its just not under the editor like normal and I am still not seeing it. Support email "This year ECM does not have a Virtual Volumetric Efficiency table under Edit. In this ECM the VE table is under
    Engine>Airflow>General
    you will see Main VE Primary and Secondary tables." Unless I am reading this wrong Chris clearly states it has just not under edit. If i am wrong please advise. As I have been reading and watching you tube and it seems to be an option and only difference is the 98 fbody's don't lose the secondary table. If there is another way fbody guys are open loop tuning using the wide band please advise as I need the vve numbers to put in the error correct table i created and the video saids i have to use the vve table on file.

Would a 2000 trans am be included in this for rtt. Getting mixed information from support and have spoken to two people already and am waiting for an response?

You need to post your file.

GEN 3 computer like the P01 and P59 have VE tables.

GEN 4 computer like the E67/E38 and later have VVE tables under the edit tab.

Your Trans Am only has VE tables. So like support said in that email the VE table is in the airflow tab. 1998-2000 calibrations will have a Primary and Secondary VE table. 2001-2002 computer will only have a Primary VE table.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Phoenix View Post
    Would a 2000 trans am be included in this for rtt. Getting mixed information from support and have spoken to two people already and am waiting for an response?
    Look under the OS tab, if you see RTT options then you have RTT options, if there is nothing that specifically says RTT it means you don't have RTT available for your operating system.

Os tab reads rtt and shows the os system number updating. My scanner also updated and there is now a real time option in the editor but I don’t see the vve table like support Chris advised. Going to call tomorrow for clarity at this point I guess as something is missing.

So per the how to and I advised them in support I was tired of my tables swinging and wanted to do the vve tune off the wideband. Your saying that is not an option? To get the volume metric table numbers for my car with the os rtt upgrade.
    Last edited by 2000Phoenix; 06-10-2021 at 10:13 PM.

I'm not sure how many more times I can type it before you'll understand.

Your car does not have VVE, it only has a VE table.

Copy the VE table labels into the scanner if you are trying to tune the VE. I do not understand what you are not understanding.

You even posted this above too.

Support email "This year ECM does not have a Virtual Volumetric Efficiency table under Edit.
    It has no VVE. You have a Primary VE table and maybe a Secondary VE table depending on year of operating system.

Got it. They just made it sound like I can still do the os upgrade and tune the car off the wide band as the oxygen sensors are getting hot and the iat heat soak causing the ve table to swing. I moved the iat and followed the steps for vve. I get I don’t have a vve table so does this mean I cannot tune the car that way? Per the instructions are asking for the volume metric table? Video saids to use that table. Or do I just use my ve table and it will work the same?

A video for a Gen4 E38/E67 with VVE will show you things that do not apply to a Gen3 P01/P59. It would be not quite as bad as watching a Ford tuning video then trying to follow the steps with a GM, but almost.

Download a random sample Gen4 file from the repository and look at all the shit that's different from your file. Then you might understand why you need Gen3 info to follow when working on a Gen3.

vve tuning not showing on afr error

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    A video for a Gen4 E38/E67 with VVE will show you things that do not apply to a Gen3 P01/P59. It would be not quite as bad as watching a Ford tuning video then trying to follow the steps with a GM, but almost.

Download a random sample Gen4 file from the repository and look at all the shit that's different from your file. Then you might understand why you need Gen3 info to follow when working on a Gen3.
    I saw the difference and watched the video which is why i wanted to verify if I can even do vve tune for this OS. Support Chris stated i can and to use my ve table instead of the vve table. I am in 1bar maf. Mass airflow sensor removed from scanner per instructions. I plugged in my older scan files to see what the scanner showed and something is not right as the afr error is not showing anything.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 2000Phoenix; 06-11-2021 at 02:13 PM.

No Gen3 ECM uses VVE.

Gen3 uses regular plain non-virtual VE tables.

You need to forget about anything VVE-related, you do not have it and with a Gen3 P01 you do not even need to know what it is or what it does.

Thank you for finally clarifying that! Support just kept saying it should work and stated to use my ve graph instead in the scanner! I knew something was not right. I will add the maf sensor back and im guessing the best option is SD tuning the car so I don't have to deal with the ve table swings from the iat and hot oxygen sensors? Also should i switch the oS to speed density or can it stay in 1bar enhanced?

You need a good, very basic beginner's guide to how all this works because you are not even in the same zipcode as the ballpark right now.

There are two main things that get adjusted when dialing in the fueling - the VE and the MAF. In a stock tune it uses a blend of those two things at the same time. To tune the VE, you have to disable the MAF. To tune the MAF, you have to disable the VE. Once each thing is tuned separately you then set it back to using a blend of the two. If you try tuning the VE while the MAF is still affecting fueling (or vice versa), you will get nowhere, or worse than nowhere.

Go read the sticky posts in the Gen3 forum. Keep re-reading them until it makes sense.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...o-and-how-to-s

I have the tuner books and started tuning in close loop per the beginner book. Ve table wer all over the place. Did more reading to find out the iat and other things cause the tables to swing constantly reach out to support after doing more reading on people with these cars doing os upgrade and boosted people using SD tune. the car is n/a. watched more videos of people saying the books way is to long to get the ve tables right and to do open loop off of the wide band. Which is how i got to this point per support never just saying vve table and the how to tune with it does not work for these cars. Thanks for clarifying and I am guessing I will just have to go back to close loop like the book is stating doing the maf and ve tables like you described which is what I had been doing. I also have read through most of the links on here but have been given mixed info or not a direct answer. Support even stated they are not tuners which is fine I just was asking if the vve tuning how to would work for the car. Got the run around until you clarified. Thank you for that. I will do more reading and research and try to ask clear questions of something that is not clear to me hoping for some clarity if i need it.
    Last edited by 2000Phoenix; 06-11-2021 at 06:34 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you really shouldn't need to tune in speed density unless you are boosted or have a big cam as that was what their initial intent was for. Our support staff aren't trained in how to tune vehicles so they are typically not your best bet for a resource on how to tune your vehicle.

Thank you for clarifying Bill. I upgraded the os to 1bar maf as i want to use the maf. I was not asking for help but if the product fits my application. First support did not seem sure and kept advising it was under edit like i saw in the vve video and explained. Second guy first came on and stated the cars don't use vve and only have the two tables but never answered in my email when I specifically asked does this work for me and I asked am i to use ve table instead of the place of the vve table per the video how to for vve tuning. They just responded they are not tuners which is a safe answer. I get it. I a commercial agt and get what if claim questions about their coverage and I shy away the same way and refer them to claims as I am not a claims agt. I just wished i was told point blank at the beginning instead of me emailing repeatedly and not getting the straight answer is all. It is what it is and I will learn this with time. I will do more reading and go back to close loop tuning the ve table and driving per the books and more reading. Only question I have @Bill is going back to close loop and having the os upgraded to 1bar maf want effect me tuning this way with the rtt enhancement?