Thread: Tune Comparison Smoke Vs. Power

Tune Comparison Smoke Vs. Power

Hey folks, I am back at it messing with smoke levels. I wonder if some gurus can look at these 2 tunes and tell me why the low smoke/low power tune has no smoke but low on power and the high altitude tune will dump a lot of smoke, but has a ton of power. I have tried just swapping timing between the 2 and this seems to be the culprit. So how can I get some more power from the tow tune while avoiding the smoke?

I live and drive mostly at 10k ft elevation and have a laggy larger 300sxe T4 turbo. I dont want to buy new parts so I am trying to get it tuned decently. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

Without commenting on your tune, more fuel = more power as long as there is air. Smoke is just un-burned fuel. As long as you supply enough air/boost under all conditions than whatever fuel you inject at the correct time will mean power. Banks has been fooling around with some high flow exhaust and turbo's to throw more air through the motor and it seems to be cooling the exhaust and turbo down enough that he can make some pretty good numbers without a lot of smoke.

Tuner in Training
    What size injectors did you have again?

Your pilot fuel tables are different between the two. Did you swap those also or just the main timing tables?

Low rpm/turbo spool smoke? Does it run clean once spooled?

50 hp bms injectors. I have tried changing pilot a few ways with no real change. Yeah, once spooled not much smoke unless im heavy on the pedal. No smoke at all once in the 2300 up rpm range. Smoke is absolutely acceptable on the low power tune, however the power is not so much.

i have not tuned for higher elevation but I did have the wrong injectors in my truck and tuned it pretty decent so here are my two cents at a quick look.

take your limiters/governors and max them out
    boost pressure override turn that off I hate that table makes them lazy and play a role here, if needed later on part throttle governor is how control my top end
    pulse table has a big jump from 60-80mm3
    i'd run more fuel psi in the cruise zone and more psi on the top end
    just the pilot injection off from 2200 on and 55mm3 on, if needed drop some pilot pulse from 7351
    i have one of these turbos and take to industrial injection this week, was thinking on running it on a stock 5.9 common rail but they talked me outta it.
    far as the timing goes your going to need to run low maybe negative just till you get some spool and then i'd go up fast with timing 5-6 and work towards 20-25 at max rpm
    i think if you get it work right no reason one tune can't be your all out everyday day with heavy tps going into race mode, that's how I have mine running. post up logs and way back your post on the smoke etc is one that pushed me to keep learning even when I had the wrong nozzles in my truck (long story)
    most all of this is done to mine and works great given I am lower and my turbo spools like stock

hope is helps and keep us posted
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Quote Originally Posted by guy-ffc View Post
    i have not tuned for higher elevation but I did have the wrong injectors in my truck and tuned it pretty decent so here are my two cents at a quick look.

take your limiters/governors and max them out
    boost pressure override turn that off I hate that table makes them lazy and play a role here, if needed later on part throttle governor is how control my top end
    pulse table has a big jump from 60-80mm3
    i'd run more fuel psi in the cruise zone and more psi on the top end
    just the pilot injection off from 2200 on and 55mm3 on, if needed drop some pilot pulse from 7351
    i have one of these turbos and take to industrial injection this week, was thinking on running it on a stock 5.9 common rail but they talked me outta it.
    far as the timing goes your going to need to run low maybe negative just till you get some spool and then i'd go up fast with timing 5-6 and work towards 20-25 at max rpm
    i think if you get it work right no reason one tune can't be your all out everyday day with heavy tps going into race mode, that's how I have mine running. post up logs and way back your post on the smoke etc is one that pushed me to keep learning even when I had the wrong nozzles in my truck (long story)
    most all of this is done to mine and works great given I am lower and my turbo spools like stock

hope is helps and keep us posted
    Appreciate the tips. When I max things out, she smokes way too much. When I go to sea level it runs awesome no matter how I tune it. No smoke and all the power in the world. This issue is definitely an elevation thing. The top end power is great. The low it struggles a lot, the mid is ok depending on load, when loaded heavy it will smoke. It has been a struggle for a while now. I just figured I am finally on to something with the tow tune I am working on and wondered if anyone had tips on getting it to spool better and smoke less on that bottom to mid. It pretty much has to be a timing thing.
    2004.5 Cummins.
    Borgwarner 13009097047 s300sxe 63-73 compressor 63/80 super core turbine housing 80mm .83 A/R Twin Scroll Housing,
    50HP BMS/Exergy Injectors
    BD T4 manifold,
    BD CAI,
    5" turbo back exhaust,
    turbosmart ext wastegate,
    BD lift pump with 2 mic filter and h2o separator,
    banks intercooler, Banks intake horn,
    slightly built tranny.......

i think in the end the turbo size is hurting you, the 64mm i am running spools like stock and I'm sure would be better up there as well. might be worth a look after all the work you've done
    https://duramaxtuner.com/turbo-charg...tealth-67.html
    I know turbo lab would have one for less money as well, maybe even drop turbine housing see if it helps as well not sure offhand what all sizes they make.
    i feel your pain I chased my tail fro over a year trying to get mine clean
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com