Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Ghost Cam help

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    The 10021 table sets the minimum idle speed as a function of intake cam timing. My guess is that this is used to force high idle on startup before the intake cam has a chance to retard and reduce overlap for a smooth idle. This is a good find, but not applicable to your problem I think.
    I just figured I'd ask and gather any knowledge that's out there on it. I'll write the calibration with the 20609 adjusted for more phasing at lower Temps and less run time

Tuner
    The 10021 table sets the minimum idle speed as a function of intake cam timing. My guess is that this is used to force high idle on startup before the intake cam has a chance to retard and reduce overlap for a smooth idle. This is a good find, but not applicable to your problem I think.
    93V5ghostcam2.JT TEST.hpt

GhostcamJT TEST log2.hpl

These are the most recent Revision and log for the continuing battle for the Ghost cam. The truck still wont lope.

Advanced Tuner
    Man, that's puzzling. I noticed that in both Emissions Reduction and Optimal Stability, the exhaust cam is commanded to be at 0. However, in both cases the exhaust cam should be 15-30 deg. So, it's not just one cam timing mode that's the issue. The next thing I would try is putting the cam timing in manual mode (3884) and trying commanding like 0,30. This won't really fix your problem but could rule out some things.

Tuner
    I would go back and disable everything except MP0, and try to force it into the desired cam angle, zero out your distance tables, and see what happens. Just to rule out every variable you have in the editor. If that doesn't work, stab the throttle and see if the exhaust cam moves. I suspect there might be missing calibration data that is imposing a limit on the exhaust cam.

Tuner
    Man, that's puzzling. I noticed that in both Emissions Reduction and Optimal Stability, the exhaust cam is commanded to be at 0. However, in both cases the exhaust cam should be 15-30 deg. So, it's not just one cam timing mode that's the issue. The next thing I would try is putting the cam timing in manual mode (3884) and trying commanding like 0,30. This won't really fix your problem but could rule out some things.
    Do you think my snap to point table has anything to do with the truck still going to MP0-1? That's the one table along with the snap to line table that I didn't really mess with because I didn't know how it worked.

Advanced Tuner
    The snap to functions might move the cam 5 deg, but not 30.

Tuner
    Do the Gen3s have the dashpot control? I've seen this term in a few other threads and wasnt sure if the Gen3s had the ability to be locked in a certain table using the idle control.

Senior Tuner
    Shouldn't be much different from a mustang. These are all the changes from a stock file I needed to make it lope. Drivability isn't too bad either.
    Stability distance table doesnt seem to be tied to the stability array. It seems to be able to follow the fuel economy array or stability being able to take 0-14 values, and not only 0-6 like expected. I was getting unexpected results before i noticed this and changed my approach.
    The Torque table changes are to lower the spark at idle, while keeping the engine torque and requested torque in line with each other. Spark is the main control used in target idle RPM.

camlope.PNG

Marks stock 2019 GT cam lope spark.hpt

updated this with something more aggressive

https://youtu.be/bJBp7Tuqca8
    Last edited by murfie; 10-17-2021 at 05:38 AM.

Tuner
    I just reviewed the file you attached and I was wondering if you could explain what the Torque and Inverse Torque tables do? What is the Inverse torque?

Senior Tuner
    Assuming Stoich AFR, MBT Spark, and STD conditions, they convert a torque request into a desired airmass load, and a airmass load into a torque. Keeping the accelerator pedal and the MAF agreeing on their inputs and outputs, just like two inverse math equations. This relationship is used as a constant, used to eliminate changing variables.

Because of this constant is defined, throttle angle, fuel, and spark can be overridden, to achieve an actual engine torque in all conditions. Used for everything, limits, safety, idle(0 torque request), decel(less than 0 request), shifting, and other torque limited scenarios. ETC.

The tables as shown do not look like a direct inverse of each other, as the axis values are skewed, much like a lot of other tables axis when you try to compare them. They used a direct Xload= Ytorque inverse relationship, that only varies slightly with RPM. example: 420ftlb = 1.0 load @ 500 rpm, 435ftlb = 1.0 load @3000rpm, and 440ftlb= 1.0 Load @ 6000RPM. so given 0.5 load, you would see 210ftlb @ 500,217.5ftlb @ 3000, and 220ftlb @ 6000. The model defines this slight change over the RPM range.

Tuner
    How much more aggressive did you get with the cam overlap on that mustang? Did you further reduce the Tables explained above? Also did you have to do any adjusting to the misfire detection when making the car lope more?

Tuner
    Here are the lastest file and log but my exhaust cam still won't advanced and that is the only thing holding me back right now. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. You may even send me a private message if you would rather discuss it that way. The same file in a mustang works fine so Im not sure if its just a truck thing or a human error I'm having. 2019 F150

93V5ghostcam2.JT TEST5 copy -10.+10.hpt

Ghostcam-10,+10log1.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Did you switch cam position control to manual and command a positive value?

Edit: BTW you can’t get it to retard, not advance. It’s sitting at max advance.

Tuner

Thats my mistake I meant retard. I also have not switched it to manual yet but that is my next step.

Tuner

I'm actually changing my file now to have the manual cam control on but I wanted to clarify a couple cam angles and where does the ecm get the SD, Spark, Torque and ect for these manually selected angles?

Advanced Tuner
    Just like always….the enabled mapped point(s) nearest to the actual cam positions.