Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Ghost Cam help

2020 Ghost Cam help

Let me start off by saying I think the ghost cam gimmick is a little silly an in no way have I ever wanted it on my car, but recently I've found that the local guys around here love it so if I learn it well I could make a few dollars and have everyones car rapping.

So without further ado I am practicing on my 2020 and I've got it to where about 10 seconds of the initial start sounds great but then the car corrects itself and goes back to a smooth idle.

attached is my current tune and a log of the cam idle.

from approx 28 seconds to 38 seconds the car sounds great, very biginning is very hunty, and end is the car killing the cam angles and going back smooth.

JAMES GEN3 033.test ghost cam, -5intake +40exhaust.hpt

Ghost Cam Attempt.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Theriot, you sound local to me (south La).

In my opinion, this is not how you do a ghost cam. You changed the cam timing of MP 0, 1, and 2 to the desired angles for lope, but the spark, torque, and speed density tables are all now incorrect for those cam timings. It is my belief that it's better to command a pre-existing unmolested mapped point with more overlap at idle so all the associated calibration data is correct.

I'm not sure why your cams are going to neutral (0,0), but logging cam desired angle and cam schedule source might help explain it.
    Last edited by engineermike; 06-05-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Theriot, you sound local to me (south La).

In my opinion, this is not how you do a ghost cam. You changed the cam timing of MP 0, 1, and 2 to the desired angles for lope, but the spark, torque, and speed density tables are all now incorrect for those cam timings. It is my belief that it's better to command a pre-existing unmolested mapped point with more overlap at idle so all the associated calibration data is correct.

I'm not sure why your cams are going to neutral (0,0), but logging cam desired angle and cam schedule source might help explain it.

I actually got it to run on only mapped point 0 at idle by changing some other settings but I see what you are saying and I may try that out tomorrow.

I live on the westbank and work in metairie so we may be somewhat local to each other.

Here is the tune and log that I got earlier. Its rowdy and sounds really good. Drivability isnt terrible considering how choppy it is, just a little shaking, lurching when letting off the brake. Feels authentic, haha.

Some of the max phasing limits were not set high enough from the factory that is why they were neutralizing.

cam drive home.hpl

JAMES GEN3 033.test ghost cam, -5intake +40exhaust.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    If you leave the MP cam timings alone and simply command something like Mapped Point 13 or perhaps 8 at idle then you would get the overlap and all the calibration data would be correct. The bonus is that you only need change a few numbers in the tune for it to work.

I'm up near Gonzales, so not too far away.

If you leave the MP cam timings alone and simply command something like Mapped Point 13 or perhaps 8 at idle then you would get the overlap and all the calibration data would be correct. The bonus is that you only need change a few numbers in the tune for it to work.

I'm up near Gonzales, so not too far away.
    I just got home from the cracker barrel in the gonzales area. Took a trip to make some highway pulls on my turbo setup. I'm sure we will run into one another one day.

Advanced Tuner
    You can allow the ghost cam to begin earlier after start up by changing Combustsion Stability > Exhaust Cam in the VCT Tab.

You might want to change your Idle Adders for when the A/C is engaged in your idle tab. 625 seems too low. Even 750 seems tooo low to me, but it's working for you.

Have you tried using just MP 0? Or even MP 0 and 1? Those mapped points are hardly use in stock cal. MP2 is used and you'd gain back a little bit of your drivability 1500 to 2500 RPM if MP2 could use the correct angles.

Tuner
    Needing a little guidance if I may have missed a table. The truck won't take the commanded MP I have input for the Optimum Stability table. It reverts to the Emissions reduction table and then goes to the Optimum stability after a given amount of time. I have attached my most recent Calibration and the previous log file. I have edited the calibration since the log.

93V5ghostcam2log2.hpl

93V5ghostcam2.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan5.019 View Post
    Needing a little guidance if I may have missed a table. The truck won't take the commanded MP I have input for the Optimum Stability table. It reverts to the Emissions reduction table and then goes to the Optimum stability after a given amount of time. I have attached my most recent Calibration and the previous log file. I have edited the calibration since the log.

93V5ghostcam2log2.hpl

93V5ghostcam2.hpt
    I have not looked at your files. If it's going into emission reduction and optimal stability. Assign you ghost cam mp into those mps tables and set your mp distances accordingly.
    You may need to rescale rpm to get everything lined out correctly so your tables won't interpolate with mp that are not ghost cam angles.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    I have not looked at your files. If it's going into emission reduction and optimal stability. Assign you ghost cam mp into those mps tables and set your mp distances accordingly.
    You may need to rescale rpm to get everything lined out correctly so your tables won't interpolate with mp that are not ghost cam angles.
    Are there any torque values under Idle> Torque tab that need adjusted to compensate?

Advanced Tuner
    Depending on your set up and what you've already changed. Your torque/inverse table may need changed in idle area of the tune. More than likely it's your distance tables that need to be corrected. That's where I find people having the most trouble.

Tuner
    93V5ghostcam2.JT TEST3.hpt

GhostcamJTTEST3log1.hpl

These logs are the most recent and I locked it in OS but its still reverting to MP 0 and 1. I have MP8 plugged into the distance table and OS Mapped Points.

Tuner
    Depending on your set up and what you've already changed. Your torque/inverse table may need changed in idle area of the tune. More than likely it's your distance tables that need to be corrected. That's where I find people having the most trouble.
    My Setup is a 19 F150 5.0 10R80 170* T-stat, longtubes and cat delete. Nothing overly complicated.

Advanced Tuner
    Screenshot your OP stab mp and op stab distance table. What do you have your idle rpm set to?

Tuner
    Screenshot your OP stab mp and op stab distance table. What do you have your idle rpm set to?

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Tuner
    This was where it was originally.

Screenshot (3).png

Advanced Tuner
    Ethan, check your VCT error. I'd log the commanded exhaust cam angle plus actuals. The tune is clearly set up to command MP8 but the exhaust cam isn't coming off of zero. It's possible that due to oil pressure or some mechanical reason that the exhaust cam phaser isn't able to move the cam. This will isolate the problem to programming vs mechanical. I did check your limits in the tune and it appears that you did modify the appropriate ones. However, there are others that depend on oil temp so you might log oil temp and pressure as well.

If you can't get the exhaust off of 0, a workaround might be to command cam timing with more overlap but the exhaust at 0, like cam timing 0, 0 for instance.

Tuner
    Ethan, check your VCT error. I'd log the commanded exhaust cam angle plus actuals. The tune is clearly set up to command MP8 but the exhaust cam isn't coming off of zero. It's possible that due to oil pressure or some mechanical reason that the exhaust cam phaser isn't able to move the cam. This will isolate the problem to programming vs mechanical. I did check your limits in the tune and it appears that you did modify the appropriate ones. However, there are others that depend on oil temp so you might log oil temp and pressure as well.

If you can't get the exhaust off of 0, a workaround might be to command cam timing with more overlap but the exhaust at 0, like cam timing 0, 0 for instance.
    Screenshot (4).png

I am already logging the Cam Angle and Cam error so would I add the Cam Des Angle or the Cam Angle DC?

Advanced Tuner
    Got it, looks like very little error, certainly not 30 deg. So it's commanding 0 deg on the exhaust cam, which is why it's stuck on MP0 and MP1 50/50. The intake cam is doing what you're telling it to do. It acts as if there's a phasing limit on the exhaust cam, and I've run across it before. However, you've modified the exhaust cam phasing limits appropriately. The one that sticks out at me still is table 20609, that does have a limit of 0 at low and high oil temps. Consider changing this to 30 at those temps as well.

Tuner
    Got it, looks like very little error, certainly not 30 deg. So it's commanding 0 deg on the exhaust cam, which is why it's stuck on MP0 and MP1 50/50. The intake cam is doing what you're telling it to do. It acts as if there's a phasing limit on the exhaust cam, and I've run across it before. However, you've modified the exhaust cam phasing limits appropriately. The one that sticks out at me still is table 20609, that does have a limit of 0 at low and high oil temps. Consider changing this to 30 at those temps as well.
    So i changed the table 20609 and started digging a little more and Idle>RPM>Minimum setpoint (Table 10021) is set my intake cam angle. I assume since we are dealing with Exhaust cam angles this table is irrelevant?

Advanced Tuner
    The 10021 table sets the minimum idle speed as a function of intake cam timing. My guess is that this is used to force high idle on startup before the intake cam has a chance to retard and reduce overlap for a smooth idle. This is a good find, but not applicable to your problem I think.