Thread: Need help with my tune!!

Potential Tuner

Angry Need help with my tune!!

Hello all tuners!!!
    I have made my own tune on 87 octanes but i don't know how to tune for 91 octane fuel!!
    another thing is on the second start when engine hot, when it come to a stop sign or a red light, the rpm drop alot and try to stall, when fully stop after a couple sec. the idle adjust by it self and run fine after self adjust .. its very annoying when a cop follow you and your truck is trying to stall lol
    Thanks a lot if someone can check my tune!!!

My mods are :Silverado 4.8l with 4l60E mtc-8 cam, headers, cat delete, borla muffler, cia with K&N, 4.10 rear end with lds and my Hp Tuners tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files

To tune for 91 octane, you literally put the fuel in, and add ignition timing slowly. Log knock retard on the scanner (has to be on channels). If you are going to run higher octane fuel all the time, then copy your high octane table to the low octane. If not, there should be about 5 degrees of timing taken out of the low octane main spark.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

After looking over your tune file, add 1 g/s to your entire base running airflow table. It's at too low of a value for a cammed engine. This will help or cure your problem. Also lower the delay of your power enrichment to 2000 rpm and time delay to 0 sec. Change the enrichment ramp in rate to 1.0 and let me know how you like it, you'll get it lined out soon. 6-3-21 PE 12.8 12.5.hpt

I added a copy of my tune so you'll have something to compare to. Don't worry about some of the idle PID differences, it's a bigger engine.
    2001 Silverado 5.3 - 209/217 cam, GT45 Turbo on 7lbs, Aem x-series wideband, 50lb/hr flex fuel injectors, on E85 with content sensor

1999 Silverado 6.0/4L80E Summit Stage one camshaft, 317 heads (replaced cast iron)

Potential Tuner

Need help with my tune!!

Hi Matt,
    ok I have made the change, wow it's almost there, my problem is still there but I think its almost gonne.
    ive put my log file from the scanner hope it work.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera1983 View Post
    Hi Matt,
    ok I have made the change, wow it's almost there, my problem is still there but I think its almost gonne.
    ive put my log file from the scanner hope it work.
    but im sure i can get more power from this tune :P

If you will post your scanner config file with your log. Most of the data is missing since our scanners are setup different. When you get that idle airflow lined out, it won't die or stall out. If you have any other question feel free to ask.

Also start logging cylinder airmass. The spark tables use RPM as column axis and cylinder airmass as the row axis, so to log ignition timing with a histogram you need both to be logged in the scanner (added to channels too)

Potential Tuner
    [QUOTE=Matt Vardaman;652767]If you will post your scanner config file with your log. Most of the data is missing since our scanners are setup different. When you get that idle airflow lined out, it won't die or stall out. If you have any other question feel free to ask./QUOTE]

ok sorry for that lol. I add the channel file and the layout file .
    I will try to adjust today my base airflow !!

BIG thanks to you my friend!!!!
    theres so much things to think!! im very new to all this so thanks again!!!
    Last edited by pantera1983; 06-07-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Potential Tuner
    To tune for 91 octane, you literally put the fuel in, and add ignition timing slowly. ( where i go to add fuel and adjust ignition timing ) ????
    Thanks

To tune for 91 octane, you literally put the fuel in, and add ignition timing slowly. ( where i go to add fuel and adjust ignition timing ) ????
    Thanks
    Hey man, I have been super busy. I just read your message and figured I could just post a reply here. I sat down and worked on your tune. I made the adjustments I suggested above. I added base running air flow, I took the pe delay off, and gave you a safe yet performance timing curves. I made the adjustments to your tune so you can just flash calibration and let me know how it goes. I made startup airflow changes, so let me know if that fixes your stalling problem

I left the fueling alone because to tune fueling properly you need a wideband O2, and some instructional videos. Good luck man and let me know if you get the message.Grumpy 87 tune modified pe baf.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Hi matt,
    I have seen on the tune you made the spark base correction and idle adaptive spark control are not the same on the tune I've made i am a bit confuse.
    can i just copy paste ?
    for now i'm on SD mode .
    look my file if you want!
    And now I have my wideband working and i have adjust the ve table almost stable, but when I reactivated my O2 it do allot of correction and the wideband go up and down so I let the O2 OFF all the time lol so the wideband read stable.

anyway tell me what you think !! Thanks

Hi matt,
    I have seen on the tune you made the spark base correction and idle adaptive spark control are not the same on the tune I've made i am a bit confuse.
    can i just copy paste ?
    for now i'm on SD mode .
    look my file if you want!
    And now I have my wideband working and i have adjust the ve table almost stable, but when I reactivated my O2 it do allot of correction and the wideband go up and down so I let the O2 OFF all the time lol so the wideband read stable.

anyway tell me what you think !! Thanks
    I'll check out your new tune with wideband. Leave the short term fuel trims on after you finish tuning ve or speed density, but don't leave it in speed density without fuel trims. It won't run as well that way and the ecm can't adjust fueling. It is designed to go slightly above then below 14.68, that's how oxygen sensors work by design. The switch back and forth around stoich. The proper way to tune would be to tune the VE first with dfco off, closed loop off, and the dynamic airflow enable rpm set to a high rpm. Then switch and tune the Maf. The fuel trims should be back on after your finished, and dynamic airflow set back to the stock settings. If your tune gets really dialed in after tons of logs, you can run without long term fuel trims. I run closed loop with only short terms, because any positive ltft will carry into power enrichment and make it too rich.

Your original post said you had trouble with the truck dying at stoplinghts or stop signs so I made your idle adaptive settings, base running airflow (yours was wayyyyyyy low for a cammed engine ), and idle rpm similar to mine(set to your preference just make in gear lower than park), since i don't have that problem. I changed the spark tables to a smooth table with good timing for a heavy vehicle. Tuning spark is where most people mess up. I've seen terrible timing tables here. So I got a professional tuner to make me a safe timing table, and went from there.

At first glance you have the park/neutral idle rpm lower than the in gear. That's backwards. The cutoff/dfco tab has the "bad vss cutoff and bad vss resumer rpms backwards as well. The cutoff has to be higher than the resume to function. Your VE table is looking good! It's similar to mine, just a little lower with the smaller cubic inches. Your timing at 400, 600, and 800 are at 24 degrees in your main spark, but don't match your base spark which is the park/gear timing. They should match across tables, and your base spark at low rpms is correct, I would make the main spark (low and high octane) match. Your tune is looking way better than the one I was looking at yesterday. You'll get there. You can disregard yesterday's messages. Running the wideband, you'll get it lined out.