Thread: MAP reading and stumble

Potential Tuner

MAP reading and stumble

Before I address my concern, no major upgrades to my truck. A 1999 5.3 with .212/.218 Texas Speed Cam with cold air intake. I also am running in SD open loop with a MAF delete. I have relocated my IAT towards the front around the grille. So my primary concern is how my 1 bar stock MAP is maxing normally shortly after I go into overdrive. If I am fixing to go up a hill shortly after it shifts into OD that is where the MAP readings hit the max and it's typically accompanied by a very noticeable stumble a time or two. My AEM wideband kit comes in tomorrow so I can start tuning to perfection. I have been trying to get it in the right direction since now. IDK what these high readings and stumbling are caused by but I would assume something with AFR I haven't noticed due to narrow bands but tomorrow that will be corrected. Any advice to my tune? anything odd in my latest log? PLEASE GIVE ME POINTERS! I am much newer to this but learning fast.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I thought P0101, P0102 and P0103 were meant to be set to mil on first error to put the ecu into SD.

Set the dtc's like crew chief said. You have your power enrichment turned off---why? Your MAP sensor linear is probably wrong. Look up the correct number for your map. When you get this corrected, you will have to retune. Your IAT sensor has to be in the intake somewhere so the engine knows the actual temp of the air---not a false temp number somewhere else.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 06-07-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Senior Tuner
    Just like Lakegoat said, change your MAP sensor linear to the proper number...94.43. Then reenable PE Mode. You should also go to the DTC list and change P0101, 102, and 103 to MIL on First Error. That'll fail your MAF sensor. After that, go to the Trans Diag tab and disable the three Max Line Pressure DTC's.

Potential Tuner
    Had no idea PE was off. I have these codes set like that because with them at MIL on the first error it was causing a very erratic shift from 1st to 2nd. Some other posts said MIL on first error was the reason. I'll see what happens by putting it back. I increased the linear for a short time to test and determine if the high MAP reading was the culprit to this shudder I feel as I described. Turns out that it has nothing to do with it. It is apparently the torque converter clutch slipping at higher load lower rpm terrains. It has a bad habit of shifting into 4th seconds before traversing a steep incline. I have been running with TCC shift lock on because I was unaware that it should be off for a 1999 GMC Sierra with a 4L60E. The stumble/shudder is all drivetrain with no link to the MAP readings. Overall though thanks for the input, I miss a few things here and there because I'm constantly tuning in my free time. lol

Needs bigger injectors too. Those tiny injectors will run out of fuel before 5,000rpm.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    That's for sure. I can tell they are giving their most output because my truck hates hills especially as soon as the torque converter clutch engages and I'm going up a steep incline in 4th gear. lol I seriously need to look into some before I continue upgrading other areas.