Thread: Dodge 5.9l Dakota R/T not shiftig 2-3

Advanced Tuner

Dodge 5.9l Dakota R/T not shiftig 2-3

Hello, I have a 99 5.9l Dakota that sometimes will not shift on the 2-3. Or when in 4th gear it will downshift into 3rd, then 2nd but will hit the rev limiter and not shift to 3rd. I have a log and current tune file where I tried to lower the Min. Voltage in an attempt to see if it would shift sooner, but not successful. I'm pointing at either a bad 2-3 shift solenoid, or possible issue with trans. But wanted to make sure nobody else has had this issue that was not a trans issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by h2.4 View Post
    Hello, I have a 99 5.9l Dakota that sometimes will not shift on the 2-3. Or when in 4th gear it will downshift into 3rd, then 2nd but will hit the rev limiter and not shift to 3rd. I have a log and current tune file where I tried to lower the Min. Voltage in an attempt to see if it would shift sooner, but not successful. I'm pointing at either a bad 2-3 shift solenoid, or possible issue with trans. But wanted to make sure nobody else has had this issue that was not a trans issue.
    Okay. With your transmission, the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts are hydraulically controlled. There are no shift solenoids for these shifts. The shift points are adjusted with the TV Cable, or Throttle Valve Cable , at the throttle body. When you hit the rev limiter on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift you probably have too much apply pressure on the throttle valve. When I have a trans that hits the rev limiter on an upshift I reduce the apply pressure on the TV Cable by several notches and then test drive to see what my upshift RPM is set at. I always lower it down to where the upshift occurs before my redline and then make adjustments to get me back to where I want to be. I make small adjustments to the TV Cable and I only move the cable one notch at a time because it can be very picky. I move the adjustment one notch/click to add apply pressure to raise the upshift RPM to my liking and my current setup.

Several other things need to be verified. I would verify the kickdown band adjustment visually by removing the trans pan and putting my eyes on how far away the kickdown band apply lever is away from the accumulator. Next, I would verify proper governor pressure at idle in gear as it should be zero.