Thread: OBD and External GPS (Carista + Racebox.cc)

Potential Tuner

OBD and External GPS (Carista + Racebox.cc)

I've noticed the past two track days I've been at now, I've had issues with the GPS and BLE OBD device connecting to my iPhone 12 Pro.

It seems I need to do things in a very specific order. I open the TrackAddict app and switch the external GPS off, immediately switch back on and click OK. I open Bluetooth and then manually connect to the external GPS (it doesn't show unless I switch BLE GPS off first in the TrackAddict app btw), once it's 'Connected', I connect to the OBD device I have (Carista) and then I jump back to the TrackAddict app and can see GPS is 'OK'.

This appears to even only work half the time. I appear to only be able to get both for one 'session' (15 minutes track then cooldown).

When I go to go back out, I am able to get either GPS or OBD data, not both.

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? It's really frustrating as I'm getting half-arsed footage half the time.

I haven't been able to get TrackAddict to talk with my external GPS (Dual XGPS160) yet, apparently due to some incompatibilities that Dual introduced in their latest firmware.

However, even syncing with my OBD device (PLX KIWI 3) isn't reliable. I have a checklist in my car which includes making sure that the two are talking. When they won't connect, I usually unplug the OBD and then plug it back in, which usually gets it going.