Thread: Torque Converter issue? 4L60E

Tuner in Training

Torque Converter issue? 4L60E

working with a ls1 with a mild cam paired up to a 4L60E with a 2200 stall.
    Having issues with it Dying when i put it in gear or loosing to much rpm putting into gear (idles at 950, shift, drops to 550 then comes back to 750)
    It seems as if the converter is too tight wondering how i can (loosen) it up? Should i be spending time in tcc duty cycle, apply and release?
    and if so what direction do I move? Any input would help im very new to this.

Senior Tuner
    Anything sold as a 2200 converter is basically a stock converter that they tried to loosen up with gimmicks. Converter stall speed is mechanically set in the converter, not something you can loosen up. If your engine/cam really requires a 950 rpm idle speed, get a legit higher stall speed performance converter from a company like Yank or FTI.

Tuner in Training
    something like a 2800?

Senior Tuner
    A mild cam typically doesn't require a 950 rpm idle speed. A 2800 rpm stall speed converter will help with performance but shouldn't be required for a mild cam to idle. With no mention of the vehicle type, or rear gear ratio or even cam specs, recommending a converter is just a crap shoot.

Tuner
    check your actual idle airflow in gear and compare it to what it is programmed. what is programmed should be a little high to prevent stalling during park neutral shifts.